The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

[video="youtube;avk2aObnb9w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avk2aObnb9w[/video]

I don't know how I come across this stuff sometimes...
I always find mangers actually kicking a ball about funny. I can image them diving into training sessions and showing top players "how its done". I bet managers like Mancini and Pep get involved every now and again.
Original post by TotalLifeForever
Love how every match everyone here puts Ox in the team, but he never is in the team...

Wait no, I don't love that! Give Ox a start!!

I think you need to understand that 90% of the time, Chamberlain was never going to start because he lacks defensive ability. Modern football requires wingers to track-back continuously especially considering we essentially have wing-backs.

If you watched him against Wigan, he lost the ball in the middle of the park and they were able to counter. He lacks defensive discipline. If you refer back to Gervinho, he was always tracking back when Santos went on a forward run. We can't afford to be all out attacking when we have something to play for.

He may be better attacking wise than both Walcott and Gervinho but defensively they are both better and hence on balance, the two more experienced wingers are better for the team.
Original post by Darth Vader 7
I think you need to understand that 90% of the time, Chamberlain was never going to start because he lacks defensive ability. Modern football requires wingers to track-back continuously especially considering we essentially have wing-backs.

If you watched him against Wigan, he lost the ball in the middle of the park and they were able to counter. He lacks defensive discipline. If you refer back to Gervinho, he was always tracking back when Santos went on a forward run. We can't afford to be all out attacking when we have something to play for.

He may be better attacking wise than both Walcott and Gervinho but defensively they are both better and hence on balance, the two more experienced wingers are better for the team.

Oh I do completely agree with that, I was just noting how he seems to be first choice for almost everyone here when picking a team, but rarely starts a match (due to the reasons you listed). In Wenger we trust!
An Arsenal XI beat Oman 1-0 in a friendly this lunchtime.

Diaby played a half and Gavin Hoyte scored.

Park, Chamakh, Squiddy and Jenks all played too.

Arsenal: Martinez (Shea 45), Jenkinson (Neita 60), Squillaci (Hoyte 45), Miquel (Boateng 45), Eisfeld, Ozyakup, Henderson, Diaby (Rees 45), Chamakh (Roberts 45), Park (Ebecilio 45).
Original post by Nucleolus

Tell you what, for a man of his age, AW moves around surprisingly well.
Original post by marcusmerehay
An Arsenal XI beat Oman 1-0 in a friendly this lunchtime.

Diaby played a half and Gavin Hoyte scored.

Park, Chamakh, Squiddy and Jenks all played too.

Arsenal: Martinez (Shea 45), Jenkinson (Neita 60), Squillaci (Hoyte 45), Miquel (Boateng 45), Eisfeld, Ozyakup, Henderson, Diaby (Rees 45), Chamakh (Roberts 45), Park (Ebecilio 45).

Did they invite scouts to watch (for Squid, Chamakh and Park)?

This player looks like an individual with exceptional mental strength:awesome:
Did they invite scouts to watch (for Squid, Chamakh and Park)?

Don't see why not - think Wenger was doing his old friend Le Guen (Oman boss) a favour more than anything, but I can't see why it wouldn't represent a shop window for those three.
Quick bit of news:

Arsenal will be playing in the 'NextGen' series next season. It's a tournament for the under 19s that is likened to the Champions league. Don't know too much about it but it should be a good competition for the youngsters.

Arsenal's Paul Ashcroft has won the 'Groundsman of the year' award for the Premier league.

It is also Szczesny's birthday today!
(edited 12 years ago)
Quick bit of news:

Arsenal will be playing in the 'NextGen' series next season. It's a tournament for the under 19s that is likened to the Champions league. Don't know too much about it but it should be a good competition for the youngsters.

Arsenal's Paul Ashcroft has won the 'Groundsman of the year' award for the Premier league.

Arsenal played in a similar 'world' tournament in the USA (Dallas Cup) last year - think it was won by a Mexican team.

Pretty sure Celtic were in NextGen this season, not sure how they got on though.
You'd think our counter-attacks would be fast with the likes of Walcott and Gervinho on the wings. However, the middle is extremely slow in mobility and tend to always breakdown any sort of counter-attack. Ramsey is indirect, Arteta is hardly that fast and Song tends to do his signature chip. There is barely any one two passing anymore.

Do you guys think Wenger might get a LB since ours are the weak-link of our back-line?

You must be joking. He'll say, gibbs is young, I have faith in him. He'll get a makeshift defender or something or use coquelin there.
Original post by marcusmerehay
Arsenal played in a similar 'world' tournament in the USA (Dallas Cup) last year - think it was won by a Mexican team.

Pretty sure Celtic were in NextGen this season, not sure how they got on though.

Where did we come and what type of team did we field?

Here is a link on the Next Gen rules on the Arsenal website:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/qanda-what-is-the-nextgen-series-
thought this was pretty cool, our kit through the years:

Class :congrats:
You could pretty much guess it would be those four doing that ad. :lol:
Where did we come and what type of team did we field?

Here is a link on the Next Gen rules on the Arsenal website:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/qanda-what-is-the-nextgen-series-

We got to the semi-finals where we were beaten 2-0 by Frankfurt. Turns out the final was abandoned so they were declared co-champions with Tigres.

Can't remember who exactly played, but they were all Academy players and Martinez, Afobe and Freeman were all involved.

Man Utd came runners-up this year, losing to Coritiba in the final.
Quick bit of news:

Celtic, Aston Villa, Liverpool, Man City and Spurs all played in it this season. Liverpool finished third overall but only got to the semis after Spurs withdrew for fielding inelligable players. A few of the better players in the tournament have since went on and played for the first team of their clubs. This could be quite good for us, gives our youth a chance to play against some of europes best and test them before giving them a chance in the first team, and allowing us to scout other teams players that play well against us.

Don't think he was being a sore loser, Caldwell was winding him up.

Caldwell is a bit of a **** tbh

http://uk.soccerway.com/news/2012/April/18/caldwell-slams-bad-loser-van-persie/
Reply 9379
He might have drawn back his hand to do a firm handshake, and RVP misinterpreted it as him drawing it away because he didn't want to shake hands :dontknow:

That's my interpretation anyway, don't think anyone is to blame and don't think anything needs to be made of it. It's a complete non-issue.

Latest