The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zoedotdot
From my room I can always hear the noise from outside Spoons/Revs on Saturday nights. I can't quite believe it, but I'm currently listening to the sixth rendition of Wonderwall of the night. I can't work out whether this is a particularly militant group of Oasis fans who have been wandering around drunk for the last three and a half hours, or whether people literally don't sing anything else when drunk.

:teehee: :rofl:
Original post by BigFudamental
Anyone have any opinions on wearing a black suit with a bow tie to May balls? I'm extremely averse to buying/renting a tuxedo...

I think you could get away with it. You can get a new tuxedo from Asda for £40, but to be honest, it looks pretty like a normal suit (leaving aside the buttons and the cut of the lapels). :dontknow:
And the satin stripe on the trousers. Most people won't notice I wouldn't think.
Reply 7923
I've known people to do it. Tbh, I knew a guy went to a ball without a bow tie even(the horror!)
And does the word tuxedo annoy anyone else? In Britain it's a DJ!:p:
Original post by Slumpy

Immensely. Such a horrible sounding word.
Could be worse, it could be a Frack, or even un esmoquin (=smoking). Tux(edo) to me still sounds vaguely suave and sophisticated, whereas DJ makes me think of those keyboards at school where you could make it go "DJ DJ DJ DJ DIC- DIC- DIC- DICTIONARY."
Original post by ukebert
And the satin stripe on the trousers. Most people won't notice I wouldn't think.

I've actually got that one - the satin stripe is just very thin piping!

Original post by Slumpy
I've known people to do it. Tbh, I knew a guy went to a ball without a bow tie even(the horror!)

"Dinner jacket" makes me think of just the jacket though. :getmecoat:

Original post by Canned Door
Could be worse, it could be a Frack, or even un esmoquin (=smoking). Tux(edo) to me still sounds vaguely suave and sophisticated, whereas DJ makes me think of those keyboards at school where you could make it go "DJ DJ DJ DJ DIC- DIC- DIC- DICTIONARY."

:rofl:

Or, at my school:

*female voice* "C'mohhnnn"

*male voice* "HUH... HUH... HUH... HUH... WOOOOOO!"
(edited 12 years ago)
But I never say DJ. I say dinner jacket :frown:
Reply 7928

Seriously, what? I feel like I've missed out on something big.
Original post by Slumpy
Seriously, what? I feel like I've missed out on something big.

(33 seconds in for "DIC-DIC-DICTIONARY".)

Wow, blast from the past! Taking me right back to year 7 music lessons :moon:
Reply 7931
Original post by Tortious

(33 seconds in for "DIC-DIC-DICTIONARY".)

Clearly I spent too much of music trying to play the keyboard rather than mess around!:p:
Original post by Slumpy
Clearly I spent too much of music trying to play the keyboard rather than mess around!:p:

I feel like negging you for this would be harsh and inappropriate. So I'll just agree with you instead. :wink:
Reply 7933
I almost sent a text saying "naked up" rather than "backed up" yesterday.

Played Family Fortunes today (with question cards rather than on TV). Haven't quite got the hang of it. Things that you bring to a party include beer, wine, drinks and alcohol, while things that you might find in a garden shed other than tools include rakes, wheelbarrows and lawnmowers, yet somehow insulation wasn't on the list of housewarming gifts...
Reply 7934
Original post by harr
I almost sent a text saying "naked up" rather than "backed up" yesterday.

Played Family Fortunes today (with question cards rather than on TV). Haven't quite got the hang of it. Things that you bring to a party include beer, wine, drinks and alcohol, while things that you might find in a garden shed other than tools include rakes, wheelbarrows and lawnmowers, yet somehow insulation wasn't on the list of housewarming gifts...

Took me a good few moments to work out the insulation joke there!
Reply 7935
My parents are going to Norway on a cruse this summer for their 25th wedding anniversary (there also going out to Australia for part of the Lions tour next summer as well, I kind of spoilt their plans though by graduating bang smack in the middle of it so they can only make one test), so I'm proper envious of them!

I always think I'm not very well travelled, and then I remember I've been to Iceland and Tanzania which are really pretty cool places.
So tempted to giving up right now. The last week has been unpleasant and Tuesday week never seemed so far away. In danger of failing my masters. Don't want to be here.
Reply 7937
Original post by ukebert
So tempted to giving up right now. The last week has been unpleasant and Tuesday week never seemed so far away. In danger of failing my masters. Don't want to be here.

It might seem far away now but you are so nearly there. You haven't wanted to be here for the majority of the past four years but you have stuck with it at every turn and you owe it to yourself to see it through to the end. I know what it feels like to have no motivation going into the last stretch - really, I do - but I categorically refuse to allow you to give up (and obviously my refusal is key here). In a few weeks the whole experience will be over, you'll have your degree, which you will get with or without the masters, and it won't matter anymore and you will be free to throw yourself out into the waters of the world and not do any of this **** anymore. Just try to do enough to get through the masters because, as I said, I really think you owe it to yourself to do it. It's going to feel great when it's all finally over.
Original post by Zoedotdot
It might seem far away now but you are so nearly there. You haven't wanted to be here for the majority of the past four years but you have stuck with it at every turn and you owe it to yourself to see it through to the end. I know what it feels like to have no motivation going into the last stretch - really, I do - but I categorically refuse to allow you to give up (and obviously my refusal is key here). In a few weeks the whole experience will be over, you'll have your degree, which you will get with or without the masters, and it won't matter anymore and you will be free to throw yourself out into the waters of the world and not do any of this **** anymore. Just try to do enough to get through the masters because, as I said, I really think you owe it to yourself to do it. It's going to feel great when it's all finally over.

PRSOM. :love:
Original post by ukebert

You can do it. I know how it feels to really hate Cambridge and wonder why on earth you're here, and I just wanted to say that I think it's great the way you've kept on going and not quit (I've been tempted to many, many times). And, whatever your result in the exams, you're very very close to leaving Cambridge and being able to do something that will make you happier and then Cambridge won't even matter anymore. :hugs: and best of luck for the exams.

Latest

Trending

Trending