The Student Room Group

Ched Evans jailed for rape

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by James82
So he claims they had consensual sex, she says she doesn't remember what happened and there was no evidence of force being used, how on earth did this even get to court let alone end up with a guilty verdict?

I'm glad she's now been named on the internet, either both parties in such cases should be named or both should be given anonymity.

Got to agree with you here. It was Mcdonald & Evans' word against hers. Plus eyewitness reports of her being drunk in a kebab shop. Mcdonald and her going into a travellodge, Evans coming later and leaving via the fire exit..

How can a guilty version be reached on that?
Reply 81
Original post by Tahooper
There's quite an obvious difference between drinking a bit and drinking so much you can't even remember what happened last night, women should take more responsibility for themselves.

I think you would know if a man raped you while you were sober, which is entirely different from getting so drunk you can't remember if you consented or not.

If a man asks to have sex with a woman and she says yes, then it's clearly the woman's fault if she decides after the sex that she didn't consent.

So when you get really drunk and you get robbed you believe that is your own fault?

Who said she decided after? You have no idea whether she consented at the time or not. Anyone that takes advantage of someone in that state is a horrible human being and all I can say is it is a relief to have one more of them off the street in my opinion.

There are so many guys like him at uni looking for the next drunk girl to take advantage of, then bragging about it to their mates. It is disgusting.
Original post by Vintage
Got to agree with you here. It was Mcdonald & Evans' word against hers. Plus eyewitness reports of her being drunk in a kebab shop. Mcdonald and her going into a travellodge, Evans coming later and leaving via the fire exit..

Couldn't agree more.

Drunken consent is still consent.
Reply 83
Original post by James82
So he claims they had consensual sex, she says she doesn't remember what happened and there was no evidence of force being used, how on earth did this even get to court let alone end up with a guilty verdict?

I'm glad she's now been named on the internet, either both parties in such cases should be named or both should be given anonymity.

I have to agree. It makes you wonder how on earth it can be proved "beyond all reasonable doubt" in courts, the whole conviction seems flawed.

She was too drunk to remember if she consented. That means she "might" or might not have consented, neither can be established without further evidence. Rape is non-consensual sex, given that one guy has been let off that must mean she consented to one and not the other. But how can this be established if she was too drunk to remember either way? Its a very murky area.

Another thing, if voluntary alcohol consumption can be used as evidence to show her not giving consent, could the male in question argue he was too drunk to read the signs of consent?

Surely now any woman or man can claim they hadn't consented provided they can show they were drunk enough?

Anyway, I'd expect an appeal. I'm not saying he didn't assault or take advantage, just that I don't think it can really be called "rape" in the traditional sense; sexual assault maybe.
Reply 84
Original post by redferry
So when you get really drunk and you get robbed you believe that is your own fault?

Who said she decided after? You have no idea whether she consented at the time or not. Anyone that takes advantage of someone in that state is a horrible human being and all I can say is it is a relief to have one more of them off the street in my opinion.

There are so many guys like him at uni looking for the next drunk girl to take advantage of, then bragging about it to their mates. It is disgusting.

If you get robbed whilst drunk, there is some responsibility to be taken from the victim. If said victim had not been so careless and drank responsibly, is it is fair to say the chances of them being seen as an easy target and robbed would have been significantly less.

In reality, it's the woman's word against the man's word and we all know how biased courts are towards women compared to men.

Who are you to judge? Taking advantage of other people situation isn't illegal last time I checked, and whilst I do not have that mindset I have better things to do then frown upon young lads (who at their age will have a naturally high sex-drive) who look for an easy shag.
Reply 85
She knew what she was getting into when going off with a footballer.
I just think she's a silly young slag whos gotten someone into prison.
****ing hell everything just seems to be rape these days :L
Getting drunk is something you inflict upon yourself, you willingly left with someone in that state, so smashed out of your head how could you possibly know you even gave consent to any of them
Cases like these get me so angrrrrryyyyryreioehhi
Reply 86
If you get robbed whilst drunk, there is some responsibility to be taken from the victim. If said victim had not been so careless and drank responsibly, is it is fair to say the chances of them being seen as an easy target and robbed would have been significantly less.

In reality, it's the woman's word against the man's word and we all know how biased courts are towards women compared to men.

Who are you to judge? Taking advantage of other people situation isn't illegal last time I checked, and whilst I do not have that mindset I have better things to do then frown upon young lads (who at their age will have a naturally high sex-drive) who look for an easy shag.

:eyeball:
I understand that it would be better to take precaution but why should a victim take responsibility? Everyone knows it is morally and legally wrong to steal - they simply should not do it.

Taking advantage of people's situation which breaches the law is illegal - eg stealing from a sleeping person is still stealing, raping a drunk person is still drunk, murdering a helpless infant is still murder etc.

There's a significant line between trying to find a girl who's up for it and forcing yourself on a girl who hasn't consented.
Reply 87
Original post by Zerforax
:eyeball:
I understand that it would be better to take precaution but why should a victim take responsibility? Everyone knows it is morally and legally wrong to steal - they simply should not do it.

Taking advantage of people's situation which breaches the law is illegal - eg stealing from a sleeping person is still stealing, raping a drunk person is still drunk, murdering a helpless infant is still murder etc.

There's a significant line between trying to find a girl who's up for it and forcing yourself on a girl who hasn't consented.

But in the Ched Evans situation she drunkenly consented, how was Ched to know that she would recant her consent after the sex had taken place? It's like asking someone to saw your arm off and saying afterwards "No I didn't mean it".
Original post by Vintage

Prosecution requires corroboration of evidence. Corroboration = 2 independent sources of evidence.

Prosecution argues: girl was too drunk to consent. Evidence: Girl's testimony, eyewitness testimony, CCTV.

Defendant argues (presumably): girl was not too drunk. Evidence: defendant's word (no issue with corroboration when it is the defence).

From that, it's up to the jury. Evidently they decided to believe the version of events supported by the most evidence, as opposed to the testimony of a man who decided to book a motel room as part of a plan to pick up a girl and film himself/someone else having sex with her.

Can't blame them.
Original post by walterwhite123
Couldn't agree more.

Drunken consent is still consent.

Sober consent: consent.

Drunken consent: consent.

Consent when so intoxicated you are not in a position to judge the situation: invalid consent.

Not being funny, but everywhere I see this discussed I can't help but feel people are discomfited by this verdict because they previously thought it was acceptable to have sex with a girl in a drunken mess, or they're misunderstanding the level of intoxication required for the consent to be invalidated...
Reply 90
But in the Ched Evans situation she drunkenly consented, how was Ched to know that she would recant her consent after the sex had taken place? It's like asking someone to saw your arm off and saying afterwards "No I didn't mean it".

Ched Evan's story is that she consented. That doesn't mean she actually did.. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to lie if he thought it would help him avoid 5 years in jail.

Not that I'm taking sides in this case, I have no idea what happened, nor care other than feeling sorry for the poor girl if he did rape her and for people naming her afterwards.
Reply 91
So when you get really drunk and you get robbed you believe that is your own fault? .

No, it's not.

However, if you get drunk and start handing out free money, then it's your fault.

See the difference?
Reply 92
Original post by xDave-
No, it's not.

However, if you get drunk and start handing out free money, then it's your fault.

See the difference?

Yes, but going back to someone's room is not the same as agreeing to sex. Especially given she didn't even go back to Ched Evan's room. None of us can possibly know whether she consented or not - but the point is a lot of people have made on here was that it was her fault (even if she did say no/was entirely unconscious) for getting so drunk.
(edited 12 years ago)
Let this be a lesson to all footballers, you're young, wealthy and famous, women will always throw themselves at you, so you better know what your're doing. Not saying Ched Evans is innocent, by the way.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 94
Yes, but going back to someone's room is not the same as agreeing to sex. Especially given she didn't even go back to Ched Evan's room. None of us can possibly know whether she consented or not - but the point is a lot of people have made on here was that it was her fault (even if she did say no/was entirely unconscious) for getting so drunk.

Well I wasn't really talking about that situation since no one really knows what happened/no one can work out what happened since one got off and one didn't.
Reply 95
Original post by Celtic_Anthony
or they're misunderstanding the level of intoxication required for the consent to be invalidated...

:ditto:

Very clear, even of most of them are just trolling trying to be cool, everyone who doesnt understand this just takes up the 'Ooohhh so if i have sex with a drunk girl im raping her' crap. Just completely ignoring the multiple people who have stated the girl would need to be seriously intoxicated, and there would need to be valid proof of that, because rape is a very hard thing to convict for.
Some very interesting information has come out about the victim since she was named on twitter last night. I'm sure anyone can find the info if they search hard enough, but remember, don't name her yourself or you are breaking the law!
Definitely 100% convinced of his innocence now.
Reply 97
Original post by xDave-
Well I wasn't really talking about that situation since no one really knows what happened/no one can work out what happened since one got off and one didn't.

Yeah, I think he just was in a far worse position after her not initially going back with him and then him leaving through the fire exit, therefore not helping himself by making him look guilty.
If he didn't do it at the very least he is very stupid.
Original post by rachelkeira
Some very interesting information has come out about the victim since she was named on twitter last night. I'm sure anyone can find the info if they search hard enough, but remember, don't name her yourself or you are breaking the law!
Definitely 100% convinced of his innocence now.

I make no claim to know this information. However, this insinuation seems depressingly to take us back to when the cross-examination of a rape victim would consist of calling her a slut and go something like:

'You have had sex many times before and consented then, so why should we believe you did not consent this time, eh?!'

I do believe, thankfully, that such character evidence is no longer allowed in court. It is disgusting if it has just moved from a Court of Law to that of public opinion, however.
From what I understand, Mcdonald was the one who 'pulled' the girl. Whereas Evans turned up during the night when she was near enough comatose to shag her. Then left through the fire exit whereas McDonald told the hotel staff to look after her.
I can sort of see how they came to the verdict that they did.

Quick Reply

Latest