The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1880
Original post by RipperRoo
Why is that? Do I5/I7s need really recent ones or something?

My motherboard is a Asus P5KPL-AM EPU

I'm not sure about the power supply, I'll need to open my PC up to check though right? (don't see anything mentioned about it in CPU-Z)

Also, do you think it would be worth upgrading my hard drive?

Edit: "Intel® Socket 775 Core™2 Quad/Core™2 Extreme/Core™2 Duo/Pentium® dual-core/Celeron® dual-core / Celeron Processors" <-- **** may as well just buy a new everything.

the new i5 chips all need a new socket. You have a Socket 775 board, whilst Sandy needs 1155 and Ivy needs 2011. Nehalem (1st gen i5/i7) needes Sockets 1156/1366.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tathrim
the new i5 chips all need a new socket. You have a Socket 775 board, whilst Sandy needs 1155 and Ivy needs 2011. Nehalem (1st gen i5/i7) needes Sockets 1156/1366.

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that it's time for a new everything.

I'm prepared to spend up to £200 for a CPU and the same for a GFX card (possibly +£50 on either if there's a real step up if I spent a bit more), any recommendations?

Also, who wins between ATI/AMD vs Nvidia at the moment? Last time I was shopping for a new PC ATI was the best value for money.
Reply 1882
You don't even need to spend £200 on a CPU. £150-170 will get you a nice Intel i5. I think the consensus is that the 7850 is one of the better cards to get if your budget is under £200. It overclocks very well. Intel destroys AMD for CPUs, but it's not as clear who the winner is for GPU between ATI and Nvidia. ATI are still probably the better value.
Original post by SMed
You don't even need to spend £200 on a CPU. £150-170 will get you a nice Intel i5. I think the consensus is that the 7850 is one of the better cards to get if your budget is under £200. It overclocks very well. Intel destroys AMD for CPUs, but it's not as clear who the winner is for GPU between ATI and Nvidia. ATI are still probably the better value.

Well I'm liking the look of this or this.

Any motherboard advice/recommendations? This seems all right and is recommended.

I'll take this over to that computer building thread actually rather than spam the **** out of this one :P.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by SMed

Personally I think up to and including 7850, AMD are better value (though nvidia haven't actually released a 660 (or Ti) to fill that gap yet). Then on, go for Nvidia (the 670 is more powerful than the 7970 but is cheaper than the 7950).
Reply 1885
Can I have a referal link too? :redface:

=P
Original post by ak137
Can I have a referal link too? :redface:

=P

Sure, PM me your email address [=
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I remember Lockerz which was a big thing 2 years ago. Got lured in by the awesome prizes they had on offer and ended up stuck in a cycle of inviting people to the website.

Yep same here... Though my friend did actually get a pair of £60 skullcandy headphones (okay they're skullcandy and you shouldn't touch them with a barge pole but they'd still cost £60 to buy from shops).
Original post by G8D
Why does Windows always look so **** on big TVs? Are they that bad quality compared to laptop screens? (ignoring obvious PPI disparity).

:dontknow:

It's fine here. 42" panny plasma @720p (text is unreadably tiny 6' away @ 1080p).
Reply 1889
Might be some specific issue you're having.
Original post by G8D
I might set this to 720p and see.

It's not just the readability though, the colours are poor and it just looks a but poo in general.

:dontknow:

All good here on the colour font. I have seen some TVs look awful on W7 (like one I saw in Comet the other day :teehee: ), couldn't say for sure what it is though.
Original post by G8D
I might set this to 720p and see.

It's not just the readability though, the colours are poor and it just looks a but poo in general.

My 32" Bravia looks like crap running windows 7 (720p). Something about it, it just looks so washed out.
Reply 1892
Original post by hassi94
My 32" Bravia looks like crap running windows 7 (720p). Something about it, it just looks so washed out.

Are you using HDMI or VGA? I've heard sometimes TVs don't like computers coming through HDMI, and they need some tweaking to work properly.
Original post by hassi94

Surely you can fix that by calibrating colour in Control Panel\Display?

Edit: On above - I use DVI out -> HDMI in
Original post by SMed
Are you using HDMI or VGA? I've heard sometimes TVs don't like computers coming through HDMI, and they need some tweaking to work properly.

HDMI, it could well be that I guess. I don't really mind since I barely ever hook it up.

Original post by mikeyd85
Surely you can fix that by calibrating colour in Control Panel\Display?

Edit: On above - I use DVI out -> HDMI in

Hmm it's not even just the colour, it sort of just has an 'old' look to it which I can't seem to describe. Meh, not very important for me anyway :smile:
Reply 1895
Try VGA.
Reply 1896
TVs that aren't full HD (720) are likely to look a bit rubbish due to the low pixel density.

And an interlaced TV (720i/1080i) will look terrible for the sheer reason that interlacing is televisual cancer. And also that all PC monitors are supposed to be progressive scan.
Reply 1897
I thought almost all 720 TVs are progressive and not interlaced? But that some of the cheaper 1080 TVs were interlaced. Remember seeing some article that it was better to run your TV at 720p if your only other option is 1080i.
Well my headphones arrived today, a couple of days earlier thank estimated. On one hand I'm pleasantly surprised, but on the other they are still several days later than Prime promises and the degree of inaccuracy doesn't exactly restore confidence. Either way I have shiny new toys to play with :ahee:

Latest

Trending

Trending