The Student Room Group

C-Pop, K-Pop, and J-Pop lovers!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1220
Me again! Can any j-pop aficionados recommend me some Arashi? I've just downloaded their new single and I love it! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Paramore<3
Me again! Can any j-popo aficionados recommend me some Arashi? I've just downloaded their new single and I love it! :smile:

*drumroll* My favourites!

Troublemaker
Tokei Jikake no Umbrella
To be Free
Truth (ALL OF THE LETTER Ts!) :awesome:
Pikanchi
Happiness
Step and Go
Monster
Wild at Heart
Kitto Daijoubu----
Lucky Man---- These two are a little weird but I LOVE THEM ANYWAY OKAY

In fact, here's a recent rundown of their best singles (as voted for by fans)
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzkxMjU0NDk2.html

Hope that...ehe...helps...:colondollar:
Reply 1222
Original post by okonomiyaki
*drumroll* My favourites!

Troublemaker
Tokei Jikake no Umbrella
To be Free
Truth (ALL OF THE LETTER Ts!) :awesome:
Pikanchi
Happiness
Step and Go
Monster
Wild at Heart
Kitto Daijoubu----
Lucky Man---- These two are a little weird but I LOVE THEM ANYWAY OKAY

In fact, here's a recent rundown of their best singles (as voted for by fans)
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzkxMjU0NDk2.html

Hope that...ehe...helps...:colondollar:

Wow, thank you so much! This is awesome, will go and download them all. :smile:
On the k-pop front...I'm curious, would anyone else be going to the BIGBANG world tour if they come to London?

Maybe it's just me...but i found k-pop much easier to get into than j-pop XD I suppose because it's got such a western approach to music...

Maybe I'm just wierd :colondollar:
...I listen to J-Pop...a lot. Then you realise how **** music is in the charts today.
Original post by Ambersapho
On the k-pop front...I'm curious, would anyone else be going to the BIGBANG world tour if they come to London?

Maybe it's just me...but i found k-pop much easier to get into than j-pop XD I suppose because it's got such a western approach to music...

Maybe I'm just wierd :colondollar:

There's a lot more new stuff culturally to get your head around if you listen to J-pop. The structure of the music industry is more similar to that of the UK in Korea and in Japan...the concept of idols means music is a little less polished than we're used to, and the" idols" themselves too.

That said for me, who is interested in studying Japanese at uni, it's useful as quite a lot of Japanese culture seems to come through event he popular music.

I love K-pop too but I know pretty much nothing about it's structure/Korea in general. :ahee:
There's a lot more new stuff culturally to get your head around if you listen to J-pop. The structure of the music industry is more similar to that of the UK in Korea and in Japan...the concept of idols means music is a little less polished than we're used to, and the" idols" themselves too.

That said for me, who is interested in studying Japanese at uni, it's useful as quite a lot of Japanese culture seems to come through event he popular music.

I love K-pop too but I know pretty much nothing about it's structure/Korea in general. :ahee:

As someone whos looked *a lot* into japanese street fashion (for the record mostly lolita, i really don't know anything about gyaru etc.) i've stumbled onto the odd song, mostly an cafe, who i don't think are together anymore anyway, and akb48, whose structure was so complex i gave up after buying one ep xD

From what i can see, j-pop is more rough-and-ready, not in a "they're a garage band" way, more in they have influences from there and there and have formed a completely new sound based on them. I've always thought it's a bit like a balance between promoting and celebrating individuality and the clean-cut comercial kawaii factor that domincates so much of the modern pop culture there. I think you get a fair amount of self-formed bands in j-pop too...or no?

In korea, they've definately got a more western approach in that I'm yet to find a single k-pop band not put together by a record company. As far as i can tell, it goes one of two ways:
1) The company finds pretty people that can sing and/or dance and put them into some sort of database. When they have a concept for a new band, they pick the people they think would fit into the concept best and bam, they're a band
2) They come up with a concept for a band, and send scouts out to find people, who then audition, and they pick from them.

I must say, they don't put everyone into a band, but they sure as hell train people up well. G-dragon was picked up by his band company YGEntertainment at 11, and has been trained in singing/dancing/rap ever since, appearing in music videos etc.
I think you can also really see evidence for this band-formula type thing from the fact the charts basically have girl groups, boy groups or solo artists. Not really any mixed groups xD

oh wow...i've sent myself to sleep looking over this stupidly long post...sorry!! :eek:
(edited 11 years ago)

I must say, they don't put everyone into a band, but they sure as hell train people up well. G-dragon was picked up by his band company YGEntertainment at 11, and has been trained in singing/dancing/rap ever since, appearing in music videos etc.

oh wow...i've sent myself to sleep looking over this stupidly long post...sorry!! :eek:

No, thank you, this is really interesting stuff :biggrin:

I think now that probably what is difference between trained K-pop idols and trained J-pop idols (Hello!Project, Johnny's Entertainment etc.) is that the training for K-pop idols seems to go on behind the scenes, which is so cool for when a new group debuts and it's like BAM we're awesome all of a sudden!

But with J-pop idols they are really on display from the moment they enter their agency and fans follow their "journey" a la X factor and then go "OMG REMEMBER WHEN SO AND SO COULDN'T DANCE AND NOW THEY CAN AND IT'S SO EMOTIONAL LOOK AT THEY'RE PERSONAL JOURNEY SUCH AN INSPIRATION" etc. :ahee:

But with J-pop idols they are really on display from the moment they enter their agency and fans follow their "journey" a la X factor and then go "OMG REMEMBER WHEN SO AND SO COULDN'T DANCE AND NOW THEY CAN AND IT'S SO EMOTIONAL LOOK AT THEY'RE PERSONAL JOURNEY SUCH AN INSPIRATION" etc. :ahee:

I can defo see the appeal ^^ i love that the fan groups are so defined with k-pop (and as far as i can tell, j-pop too) each group have their own fan group and it makes you feel so included XD The names do make me laugh sometimes though... I'm a new-found kissme...and my favourite member is kevin, so I burst out laughing when I found out that makes me a kevinite! Actually, k-pop stars that use English in their names all too often set me off...all though thats completely of topic XD
Reply 1229
mostly an cafe, who i don't think are together anymore anyway,

they are together lol, they are actually holding a concert pretty soon in the UK, you should go! :biggrin:

http://livemusic.fm/gig/an-cafe-tickets-o2-academy-islington-london-07-nov-2012

youre welcome :cool:
Original post by xoquerida
Are there any HOTTEST on here? :biggrin:

I got SO excited when I saw this lol. I consider myself a Hottest but not totally 100% as I was an ELF first. Hehe
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Paramore<3
Thank you, downloaded them all! Nice to get some retro 2PM with 10 out 10. :redface:

Ahh, I've been meaning to watch WGM for ages, I will try! Thank you v much :smile:

'Only You' is a really sweet song too!
Original post by vabbian
they are together lol, they are actually holding a concert pretty soon in the UK, you should go! :biggrin:

http://livemusic.fm/gig/an-cafe-tickets-o2-academy-islington-london-07-nov-2012

youre welcome :cool:

haha thanks ^^ out of interest is an cafe classed as j-pop or j-rock?
Reply 1233

no idea lol
the only Japanese music I listen to is Perfume & anime soundtracks :tongue:
girls generation! k-pop but still!
missed the live youtube concert the other day :frown:

Visual Kei, which appears to sit somewhere between the two :smile:
Original post by cheesecake11
girls generation! k-pop but still!
missed the live youtube concert the other day :frown:

You can still rewatch it! :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HCiUIB-S9c
Reply 1237
Can't believe they are adding a 14 year old to T-ara /dies :frown:
Reply 1238
Original post by vabbian
Can't believe they are adding a 14 year old to T-ara /dies :frown:

Agreed, I hate how every group seems to think they have to add new members to stay successful! Weren't After School getting a new member too? You're just going to hear 'they're trying to be the new SNSD' all the time now...

Danee looks sweet enough though, good luck to her. I wish I could have been in T-ara when I was 14! (Not long ago, but still...) :tongue:
Reply 1239
:O There's a thread for this?! COOOL!! I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove k-pop. I'm an obsessed fangirl OTL ahaha

Quick Reply

Latest