The Student Room Group

year 10 mocks

would i be able to get a grade 9 in my science mocks if i do all the past exam questions and is this helpful in the long term
Original post by pinkshadow3478
would i be able to get a grade 9 in my science mocks if i do all the past exam questions and is this helpful in the long term

Hi @pinkshadow3478

When I was back at school, I wish I used past exams as a revision tool sooner.

When I got to sixth form I started using them and they were, really helpful as they help you find the gaps in your knowledge for where you should focus your revision and they also help you get used to exam conditions. So when it comes to the real exam, it feels a bit more familiar.

They're definitely a great long term revision tool and I'd absolutely recommend using them.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your mocks!

Tom :smile:

Past paper questions are one of the best ways to revise for exams and will definitely be helpful in the long term. However, it won't determine if you get a 9 because thats all down to you. People can be doing exam questions from past papers all day and still not end up with a top grade because they think doing past papers is enough and dont know why they are using them. Past exam questions should test your knowledge that you've revised for and identify weak gaps in which you should revise next. So as long as you get why you're doing past exam questions and reflect on them, then it will help you achieve higher grades.
thanks i appreciate the feedback

100%, but use past papers sparingly, as they are a finite resource! There are websites where you can find practice questions too, like PMT and MME revise, there are also cgp practice workbooks and oxford revise is always a life saver.

Here are things not to forget:
- Know your equations for when the maths questions pop up - this is the quickest way to gain marks alongside 1 and 2 mark questions
- Know your practicals! At least one or two will pop up in the exam, so revise on them
- Whenever you're marking your work, if you get a question wrong, copy down the mark scheme so you can refer back to that and review your mistake - a studytuber called unjaded jade introduced a way of understanding where she went wrong in practice tests and used an acronym of M A R C K S - M stands for Maths, A stands for Application, R stands for Reading the question. C stands for Communication, K stands for Knowledge and S stands for Statements said, I personally found that very useful to see what I needed to work on when revising.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest