The Student Room Group

OCR B (Advancing Physics) G492, 25th May 2012 Afternoon

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adlyaini
Guys, I'm really confused. Is the first harmonic the fundamental or the one that comes after? :frown:

Me too! Revision guide says that th first harmonic is the fundametal (well it implies it anyway) wheeas wikibooks says it is the one after. Hopefully we don't get asked on it.
As of June 2011, the front of the question papers say you need a protractor. Holy **** I genuinely don't think I own one.
Reply 122
Original post by When you see it...
As of June 2011, the front of the question papers say you need a protractor. Holy **** I genuinely don't think I own one.

WHAT???!!!!
Reply 123
Original post by When you see it...

Only required for scale diagrams to work out vectors, and they always say "by scale drawing or some other method" so I just use pythag/basic trig.

Basically, you don't need one! :smile:
People people stop panicking!! OK... now im starting to panic.... :O
Original post by master y
People people stop panicking!! OK... now im starting to panic.... :O

Analogue, uncertainty is ±5%

Digital, Uncertainty is ±0.01%

Can you anybody help me. I dont understand how this percentage uncertainty was worked out from the prereleased. please
EDIT someone worked it out and i dunno how they did it please help
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 126
Original post by Education_1
Analogue, uncertainty is ±5%

Digital, Uncertainty is ±0.01%

Can you anybody help me. I dont understand how this percentage uncertainty was worked out from the prereleased. please
EDIT someone worked it out and i dunno how they did it please help

The digital voltmeter measures to 2 decimal places so the uncertainty will be ±0.005, i dont understand how they worked out the percentage uncertainty though becuse you dont know the value measured to calculate the percentage uncertainty

the uncertainty of the analogue voltmeter will be ±1 be cause the smallest intervals on the scale are in 2's

Hope this helps
Original post by Oglogski
Only required for scale diagrams to work out vectors, and they always say "by scale drawing or some other method" so I just use pythag/basic trig.

Basically, you don't need one! :smile:

Okay thanks.

Original post by KoalaKim
The digital voltmeter measures to 2 decimal places so the uncertainty will be ±0.005

I forgot to mention that my physics teacher said the uncertainty for the digital ammeter is +/-0.01 A which makes more sense to me.
The digital voltmeter measures to 2 decimal places so the uncertainty will be ±0.005, i dont understand how they worked out the percentage uncertainty though becuse you dont know the value measured to calculate the percentage uncertainty

the uncertainty of the analogue voltmeter will be ±1 be cause the smallest intervals on the scale are in 2's

Hope this helps

oh thank you :smile: also i thought my teacher told me the uncertainty of the digital will be 0.01 (you dont half it since you dont see the division) thought im unsure if he is correct because he cant teach and he does make mistake so im not sure :s-smilie:

EDIT: someone else confirmed it :smile: that reassuring :smile: Thank you
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 129
oh thank you :smile: also i thought my teacher told me the uncertainty of the digital will be 0.01 (you dont half it since you dont see the division) thought im unsure if he is correct because he cant teach and he does make mistake so im not sure :s-smilie:

EDIT: someone else confirmed it :smile: that reassuring :smile: Thank you

0.01A would be the resolution of the digital ammeter. Half it for the absolute uncertainty
Reply 130

Hope this helps

it's cos it rounds up or down, so the highest/lowest values are +/- 0.005, right?
Original post by Romeuo
0.01A would be the resolution of the digital ammeter. Half it for the absolute uncertainty

No you dont half it in this case according to my teacher! yes it would but 0.01 according to him is the uncertainty

EDIT:he is right guys so make sure in the exam you write 0.01A as uncetainty
have a look at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dTn2pt5PuA (1.14)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 132
No you dont half it in this case according to my teacher! yes it would but 0.01 according to him is the uncertainty

EDIT:he is right guys so make sure in the exam you write 0.01A as uncetainty
have a look at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dTn2pt5PuA (1.14)

so what is the uncertainty of the analogue one?? 2??
Can anyone tell me why it is particularly important for an ammeter to have 0 resistance for LARGER currents being measured?? (3)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 134
Can anyone tell me why it is particularly important for an ammeter to have 0 resistance for LARGER currents being measured?? (3)

An ammeter is placed in seris so if it has a high resistance then this will change the current because V = IR, and if voltage remains constant and R increases then i will decrease so its imprtant to have a small R in an ammeter
An ammeter is placed in seris so if it has a high resistance then this will change the current because V = IR, and if voltage remains constant and R increases then i will decrease so its imprtant to have a small R in an ammeter

but why are larger currents in the circuit affected more than smaller currents? :>S
but why are larger currents in the circuit affected more than smaller currents? :>S

Oh yeah, I saw that question. The mark scheme said something like 'for larger currents, power dissipated as heat is more as P=VI=I^(2)R' but I put 'larger currents are larger to begin with, therefore (as they decrease by the same proportion) the magnitude of the decrease is higher'.
so what is the uncertainty of the analogue one?? 2??

nope as you said 1 ... its just for digital that is different
I've managed to get hold of a protractor just in case. Is it worth going over past section C questions now or would it be better to go over other questions?
Reply 139
surely the uncertainty for the digital meter is +/- 0.005.

Eg. A voltmeter measures a voltage, and finds 2.34v.

Another voltmeter measures the same voltage to be 2.335v.

The first value is rounded, and is out by 0.005v from the true value.

The limits of the first value are 2.335v and 2.345v. There are a number of values which are rounded down/up to be 2.34:

2.335v, 2.336v, 2.337v etc 2.344v, 2.343v, 2.342v etc

If we only had the first reading to go by, it could be any of the bold readings above. Therefore, the uncertainty is +/- 0.005v

The analogue meter has increments of 2A. By eye, we can round a recorded value up or down. Therefore, the uncertainty for the analogue is +/- 1A.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending