The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If I get a 2.5" to 3.5 adapter would it be fine using my 120gb old laptop hard drive until I can afford a SSD and a normal hdd
Does the GB/S rating on a mechanical HD actually make any difference as I'm looking at some HDs and they are using 6gb/s SATA however the data transfer rate is only 600mb/s? So surely there's a near 0 possibilty that you would ever need the 6 gb/s SATA?
Reply 7162
Original post by quotidian
Does the GB/S rating on a mechanical HD actually make any difference as I'm looking at some HDs and they are using 6gb/s SATA however the data transfer rate is only 600mb/s? So surely there's a near 0 possibilty that you would ever need the 6 gb/s SATA?

No, it doesn't matter at all except for access to the drive's cache, which is so small and insignificant in the case of HDDs that it doesn't make a difference to overall transfer speeds.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282717-14-sata-sata#t1917929
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7163
Original post by DannyR2811
If I get a 2.5" to 3.5 adapter would it be fine using my 120gb old laptop hard drive until I can afford a SSD and a normal hdd

It would be really, really slow.
Reply 7164
Original post by hassi94
Thinking of buying this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005OK6VLS/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Right, I have a 2.5" to 3.5" mounting bracket. Is there anything else I need to fit this into my desktop?

As long as you have a SATA III cable, a free SATA III port and a free SATA power connection on your PSU, then no. Most modern cases don't even require adapters to fit SSDs.

EDIT: Seeing as it's a notebook kit I suspect it might come without a SATA III cable. You might want to check that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7165
Original post by hassi94
Thinking of buying this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005OK6VLS/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Right, I have a 2.5" to 3.5" mounting bracket. Is there anything else I need to fit this into my desktop?

A screwdriver I guess :biggrin:
Original post by und
As long as you have a SATA III cable, a free SATA III port and a free SATA power connection on your PSU, then no. Most modern cases don't even require adapters to fit SSDs.

EDIT: Seeing as it's a notebook kit I suspect it might come without a SATA III cable. You might want to check that.

I think my motherboard comes with a few SATA cables (I assume at least some of these will be SATA III?) :smile: Thanks for the info.
Reply 7167
Original post by hassi94
I think my motherboard comes with a few SATA cables (I assume at least some of these will be SATA III?) :smile: Thanks for the info.

Which case do you have, out of interest?
Original post by und
Which case do you have, out of interest?

Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
Reply 7169
Original post by hassi94

As far as I can tell that has 2 dedicated 2.5" bays and two more 3.5" bays that can take 2.5" drives, so I don't think you need an adapter of any sort.
Original post by und
As far as I can tell that has 2 dedicated 2.5" bays and two more 3.5" bays that can take 2.5" drives, so I don't think you need an adapter of any sort.

Ah okay thanks - I think it came with an adapter bracket though (didn't properly unpack but I swear I saw one :tongue:). I'm not properly opening it up yet because half my components haven't arrived so no use letting it collect dust :smile:
http://www.ebuyer.com/363230-asus-p8z77-v-socket-1155-vga-dvi-displayport-hdmi-8-channel-audio-atx-p8z77-v

This motherboard says 3xchassis fan connectors, does this mean 3x3pin connectors? I'm trying to work out how many case fans I can put on from this motherboard.
Reply 7172
Original post by hassi94

No. And depending on the case, you don't need any additional mounting bracket. My Fractal R3 has 2.5" mounting holes on all the HDD caddies.

Original post by DannyR2811

Yes.
Reply 7173
Original post by hassi94

I don't think there is an actual difference between SATA cables. But I could be wrong.
Original post by hassi94

What's your motherboard, cos my motherboard came with 4 Sata connectors........plus I believe enforcer comes with an adapter for the 3.5 inch bays in case
Original post by Chow mein
http://www.ebuyer.com/363230-asus-p8z77-v-socket-1155-vga-dvi-displayport-hdmi-8-channel-audio-atx-p8z77-v

This motherboard says 3xchassis fan connectors, does this mean 3x3pin connectors? I'm trying to work out how many case fans I can put on from this motherboard.

1 x CPU Fan connector(s)
3 x Chassis Fan connector(s)
1 x Optional Fan connector(s)

It's probably 4pin........but regardless 3 pins work as well on the 4 pins.
And I've found a pic of the board, they are all 4 pins. The 3 pin fans usage on the 4 pins on the motherboard have a little plastic bit sticking out which tell you where to put the 3 pin connector on the 4 pins.

So you can have 1 cpu cooler fan and 4 additional fans.
And you can add more depending on your power supply using a molex converter
Original post by woofwoofkapow

How come your using that motherboard?
Cos it's not worth it considering it's a mATX and case is quite large.
Ooh - another question:

On specifications of my motherboard it says 4 1.5V RAM slots. I have bought Kingston HyperX RAM which is actually 1.65V (supposedly it'll still run at 1600MHz on 1.5V though if I undervolt it but anyway) - is this a problem or do they always label RAM slots with '1.5V'?

EDIT: Nevermind, the Gigabyte website states this RAM is supported for my motherboard on their website :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7179
Original post by SMed
I don't think there is an actual difference between SATA cables. But I could be wrong.

You're right. It's weird then that when I bought my X58 motherboard back in 2009, it came with different "SATA II" and "SATA III" cables. :dontknow:

Latest

Trending

Trending