The Student Room Group

Spanish or French easier to learn?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Judging from posts I've seen on here and as the tutor herself at my college has stated....there seems to be a rapid loss of interest in German, whilst Spanish, French & Mandrain hoover up all the language students. I wonder why? Does nobody like the German language anymore? :frown:

There there German; don't cry. I still wub you :h:

LOL! I don't know, I don't like it because of the way I've been taught it and well, I just don't like the sound of the words. I'm sorry. :tongue:

Original post by aeterno
If it's just a GCSE you want, then Spanish. Although, as others have said, it all depends on you - plus if you have prior experience with one of those languages already, that's bound to be easier as you should know basic grammar by now.

Don't think about what seems the easiest but what's the most appealing to you :smile:

I've had prior experience with French and can remember a few things, but the whole accent thing makes it seem really difficult. I really don't understand the difference between each accent for the same words. :tongue: I've had no experience with Spanish as such but my sister learns Spanish and it doesn't seem too hard. But I love how both languages sound when people talk it, I really do. :lovedup:

Original post by Victor-PP
For English speakers, I'd say French.

Why do you say that? :smile:

Original post by lazaro7
Hi,

My mother tongue is Spanish, so don't take my word for it :wink:, but I've studied Italian and French and I find French more difficult to learn than Italian (Italian is quite similar to Spanish, so I'm taking it as a point of reference here). The Spanish and French grammars have lots of similarities, but also some crucial differences that make French grammar a bit harder. While in Spanish you can use the auxiliar verb "to have" with every other verb, in French verbs are split in two groups: those that use the auxiliar "to have" and the ones that use "to be", so you must be aware of which auxiliar to use when you're talking (well, something similar happens with Italian to be honest, but for some reason Italian is easier for me).

Also, when I studied Italian (more than 10 years ago), I could speak comfortably in a few months, but I've been studying French for almost two years and though I can understand it to a moderate level, it's still difficult for me to put phrases together and speak fluently.

Anyway, as others have said, it's a matter of personal preference, so you can study a bit of both languages to know which one is easier for you and which one you like the most, and go for it (as someone else suggested).

I can see where you're coming from, French is quite hard! Do you think you found it more difficult because it's well, quite different to Spanish and Italian?

Thanks for commenting guys. x
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17107435

Oh my God!! This guy knows 11 languages! :redface:
Judging from posts I've seen on here and as the tutor herself at my college has stated....there seems to be a rapid loss of interest in German, whilst Spanish, French & Mandrain hoover up all the language students. I wonder why? Does nobody like the German language anymore? :frown:

There there German; don't cry. I still wub you :h:

As far as I can tell, there seem to be less people learning German, but those that do seem more enthusiastic than other language learners and they seem to make more progress. (Basing this on the A Level/uni French and German students on here, and their levels of ability/motivation.)

I love German personally :love:
Original post by scribbledoutname
LOL! I don't know, I don't like it because of the way I've been taught it and well, I just don't like the sound of the words. I'm sorry. :tongue:

Okay you are forgiven :h:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17107435
Oh my God!! This guy knows 11 languages! :redface:

Admittedly, that is very impressive and it certainly is enviable. There is a website I occasionally frequent when I need help with languages, and it has become somewhat of a focal point for polyglots and 'hyperglots' such as Professor Arguelles. How to learn any language - language learning forum. You may find it interesting; they certainly do not hold back if you ask for help and their discussions regarding languages would probably enthrall linguists out there.

Original post by xmarilynx
As far as I can tell, there seem to be less people learning German, but those that do seem more enthusiastic than other language learners and they seem to make more progress. (Basing this on the A Level/uni French and German students on here, and their levels of ability/motivation.)

Hmmm..curious indeed. :holmes:
(edited 11 years ago)

I think German is a really misunderstood language! I was one of those people who, when given the option to pick either German or Spanish in Year 9, picked Spanish immediately (and way more people picked Spanish over German overall because 'Spanish sounds so nice, and German sounds so horrible!' (I am also guilty as charged of this)...and then years later I actually visit Germany and I'm like :eek: German sounds lovely!!! It is a lot softer than most imagine I think!

I still have a preference to learning Spanish though, but that is simply because I think career wise/internationally it is a more useful language to have.
Reply 25
I can see where you're coming from, French is quite hard! Do you think you found it more difficult because it's well, quite different to Spanish and Italian?

Yes, probably that's the reason why I find French somewhat hard. Italian sounds more like Spanish, so naturally is easier for me to understand it (though it's been more than 10 years since I studied it and I have forgotten a lot, I still understand it and can have a basic conversation in Italian).
Do you do any for A level by any chance?
Thanks for commenting x

I'm a twin my sister does AS French and I do AS Spanish from my point of view Spanish is easier compared to her French, my dad speaks French & helps her a lot, I look at it and it looks soo much harder then again i don't know any French. E.g. For the role play for the oral u have to speak to Q's and to make a q in Spanish all you have to do is put question marks around it and raise your voice, in French its completely different. I can tell u more details of the AS Spanish if u like , just done the exam!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Okay you are forgiven :h:

Admittedly, that is very impressive and it certainly is enviable. There is a website I occasionally frequent when I need help with languages, and it has become somewhat of a focal point for polyglots and 'hyperglots' such as Professor Arguelles. How to learn any language - language learning forum. You may find it interesting; they certainly do not hold back if you ask for help and their discussions regarding languages would probably enthrall linguists out there.

Thank you. :giggle:

I've clicked on one of the threads and it looks brill. Do you learn German then? And any others? :biggrin:
Original post by cocobubbles
I think German is a really misunderstood language! I was one of those people who, when given the option to pick either German or Spanish in Year 9, picked Spanish immediately (and way more people picked Spanish over German overall because 'Spanish sounds so nice, and German sounds so horrible!' (I am also guilty as charged of this)...and then years later I actually visit Germany and I'm like :eek: German sounds lovely!!! It is a lot softer than most imagine I think!

I still have a preference to learning Spanish though, but that is simply because I think career wise/internationally it is a more useful language to have.

Lots of people say they don't like the way it sounds, I don't really get why. I find it really sexy and masculine personally :colondollar:

Internationally, I agree, but I'm not so sure in terms of career prospects, particularly if you want to stay in Europe. It does depend on the domaine though, for example Spanish offers more opportunities for tourism, whereas German more be more useful for, say, engineering.
Reply 29
French is my native language and I've done a bit of spanish. In my opinion spanish is a lot easier than french in terms of grammatical conjugation & vocabulary. But you should go with what you are more interested in. If you have more fun learning French it will make it seem less difficult or boring even if it takes more work..
Original post by LauraEmilyT
I'm a twin my sister does AS French and I do AS Spanish from my point of view Spanish is easier compared to her French, my dad speaks French & helps her a lot, I look at it and it looks soo much harder then again i don't know any French. E.g. For the role play for the oral u have to speak to Q's and to make a q in Spanish all you have to do is put question marks around it and raise your voice, in French its completely different. I can tell u more details of the AS Spanish if u like , just done the exam!

Ah, that would be great! I'm taking Spanish GCSE so that I can take AS Spanish in the second year of sixth form - if I really like it that is.

How are the exams? Apparently grammar gets noticably difficult? Are you planning on taking it to A2?

Thank you and sorry about the questions :tongue:
Thank you. :giggle:

I've clicked on one of the threads and it looks brill. Do you learn German then? And any others? :biggrin:

Glad you liked the link. :smile:

No, I studied GCSE German at school and received a D grade. I'm probably about a C grade now, but I need to teach myself more over the summer, and start again on Spanish and French. I've got a pile of books on my desk for Learning Spanish, French and German but at the minute I'm so bogged down with revision for my impending maths exams that I just can't find the time. :frown:

Also, for those learning languages that struggle with pronunciation (such as me with the French un) then have a look at Forvo.
Lots of people say they don't like the way it sounds, I don't really get why. I find it really sexy and masculine personally :colondollar:

That's the word! That's why I don't like the sound, I think it sounds sort of "rough"? :wink:

Internationally, I agree, but I'm not so sure in terms of career prospects, particularly if you want to stay in Europe. It does depend on the domaine though, for example Spanish offers more opportunities for tourism, whereas German more be more useful for, say, engineering.

That is very true.

Haha stereotypical German stuff on the television perhaps, making it sound like a mean language! And I know German would be easier in terms of 'you say what you see' (this is oversimplified I know but compared to French!) but the sheer length of some of those words....:s-smilie:

Yeah sorry I should have really put career wise in terms of what I want to do which is international relations orientated! Tbh though it would be great to have all 3 languages under my belt!
Glad you liked the link. :smile:

No, I studied GCSE German at school and received a D grade. I'm probably about a C grade now, but I need to teach myself more over the summer, and start again on Spanish and French. I've got a pile of books on my desk for Learning Spanish, French and German but at the minute I'm so bogged down with revision for my impending maths exams that I just can't find the time. :frown:

Also, for those learning languages that struggle with pronunciation (such as me with the French un) then have a look at Forvo.

Ah that's nice! Well you seem like a keen linguist; with all the helpful links and all. :smile: Good luck for your maths exams!
Reply 35
For me, personally, I found Spanish more easier to learn and I am doing it for A Level.
Original post by cocobubbles
Yeah sorry I should have really put career wise in terms of what I want to do which is international relations orientated! Tbh though it would be great to have all 3 languages under my belt!

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what do you want to do?x
Ah that's nice! Well you seem like a keen linguist; with all the helpful links and all. :smile: Good luck for your maths exams!

Thank you very much! :smile: I'll probably post to update my progress once I start working my way through my books.
Original post by Kermitt
For me, personally, I found Spanish more easier to learn and I am doing it for A Level.

What A levels do you do along side Spanish if you don't mind me nosing? :biggrin:
Ah, that would be great! I'm taking Spanish GCSE so that I can take AS Spanish in the second year of sixth form - if I really like it that is.

How are the exams? Apparently grammar gets noticably difficult? Are you planning on taking it to A2?

Thank you and sorry about the questions :tongue:

It's fine, I'm happy to give advice. My exams was okay, not overly awful but not really great, I know I've made mistakes but then it's like that with all exams! I prefer it way more than gcse i'm a quiet person and having to speak a lot which u have to do was something I hated, but now there is 7 of us in my class, I feel so comfortable speaking whether what u say is wrong or not (anyway enough about me lol). I dont find grammar too difficult apart from the subjunctive, but its a bit of a memory task with all endings etc. however u don't get examined on grammar as such but u do need to use it correctly & have a general understanding & being able to recognise it, for what I did was learn it, we had a grammar lesson every week 'cos I had 3 individual teachers, was for the exam just learn some phrases with fancy grammar in it which I could then apply to my writing! I do want to take it on to A2, fingers crossed now for results day haha. I got a B at gcse so not a fab result ( wanted an A) a girl in my class gt an A* but I wouldn't say I feel like the weak link. You work on all 4 skill areas, and begin to prepare your oral around exam (the topic discussion, mine was smoking ban)! Are u finished now til sept or do u have to go back to a school? (sorry about the v. Long post, & I'll answer any more Q's)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending