The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Question and Answer Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bownessie
I would just write them before you go tbh. You aren't making a major switch. Basically they've said "we are happy that you are predicted to satisfy requirements to study both maths and german at Lancaster". If you asked to change all you would be saying is "thanks, but all I really want to do is maths" to them.

Yeah this is what I thought i'm just a bit worried since the grade requirements for just maths are higher and would equal my firm choice when Lancs is my insurance....
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 4141
I didn't, Idk about my friend. I did need to go through a mini interview when switching from biology to history. Seriously, just email them and ask. If you can justify why you want to switch in the email, then you can. Also not that due to the major/minor system you could take 1 part mcs and 2 parts economics (which is what an economics major would do) and could consequently major in economics in years 2 and 3. That wouldn't require you to change anything and would mean that even though you intend to major in economics for years 2 and 3, you would technically be a MCS major.

Well, that's one of the problems - IDK if I would sound good if I just tell them that I kind of changed my mind and no longer think I'm interested in MCS major. So in favor of not sounding like a person who doesn't know what to do in life, I'll probably try the whole minor in Economics thing and if possible take 2 parts of it (if it doesn't mix with my schedule) although I wish I could drop my entire major.

Thank you for your help! :smile:
Original post by BeccaCath94
Yeah this is what I thought i'm just a bit worried since the grade requirements for just maths are higher and would equal my firm choice when Lancs is my insurance....

Ahh... Stick with German, change when you get here. Simples :smile:
Original post by binnie_
Well, that's one of the problems - IDK if I would sound good if I just tell them that I kind of changed my mind and no longer think I'm interested in MCS major. So in favor of not sounding like a person who doesn't know what to do in life, I'll probably try the whole minor in Economics thing and if possible take 2 parts of it (if it doesn't mix with my schedule) although I wish I could drop my entire major.

Thank you for your help! :smile:

Don't worry about it... generally speaking the department you are dropping aren't best pleased, but they can't withdraw their offer! Seriously, if you want to do economics, email the economics tutor and ask! If they say 'yes' then you write MCS and tell them you are going to transfer and you never have to deal with them again. If they say 'no' MCS doesn't even need to know and you can do the minor route anyway!
Ahh... Stick with German, change when you get here. Simples :smile:

Yep haha
You never know I might even enjoy german at uni.... (but i doubt it :tongue:)
Reply 4145
Hello again!
I will be studying Politics with IR and was wondering if we will receive a reading list with things we are advised to read over the summer? Also can someone give me some insight on what the course and the lecturers are really like for my course?
Thank you!!
Original post by lora_s
Hello again!
I will be studying Politics with IR and was wondering if we will receive a reading list with things we are advised to read over the summer? Also can someone give me some insight on what the course and the lecturers are really like for my course?
Thank you!!

Hi, I think I'm going to go for an upgraded standard room and I think my first choice is going to be Furness... With Bowland second. I just want to know what the bathrooms are like in Furness Upgraded Standards and how many people share a kitchen/bathroom? Thanks :biggrin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb9ruzCve_0 this looks awesome! Do they have founders every year, and are there any similar rivalries between other colleges?
Original post by barneybewick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb9ruzCve_0 this looks awesome! Do they have founders every year, and are there any similar rivalries between other colleges?

Yup, Founders is every year.
Fylde, Pendle, County and Grizedale have Legends at the end of June.
And there's another one between Furness and Cartmel, but I can't for the life of me think what it's called.
Original post by minimarshmallow
And there's another one between Furness and Cartmel, but I can't for the life of me think what it's called.

Thanks, sounds great. How good do you have to be to get into college teams for things like football? Seen that most have A and B teams but does anyone know what sort of standard it is?
Will Software Engineering studies be held at InfoLab21 mostly?
Reply 4152
Original post by kiradotee

InfoLab is primarily research. Lectures are only really in there for the small group of Innovation students.
I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but roughly how much do you spend a week?
Original post by barneybewick
Thanks, sounds great. How good do you have to be to get into college teams for things like football? Seen that most have A and B teams but does anyone know what sort of standard it is?

I don't know about football, but I know the standard of men's pool (at least in Fylde) tends to be pretty high.
Hopefully someone else can help with the football thing.
Reply 4155
when will Lancaster issue our CAS numbers? does anyone know?
Original post by minimarshmallow

furness and cartmel is called patriots.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kiradotee

My friend does comp sci. It's not in any specific building infolab is mainly filled with lecturers offices. I think there are lots of lecture theatres spanning from near the management scholl up towards the middle of bowland and a variety of computer labs. I would go for somewhere pretty central eg. Fylde or Furness for ease of getting around.
Original post by jerseymackem
I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but roughly how much do you spend a week?

This varies massively from person to person.

What you need to consider is cost of accommodation, food, societies, going out, transport, laundry and unexpected things.

Food bills can come between £20 per week and £40 depending on what you buy. Most societies are pretty cheap but some will cost a bit eg. it's about £8 if you go on a day trip with the hiking society. Going out this is discussed in lots of other threads in the general uni section. In terms of pubs it costs the amount you drink, meals depends on what you eat nightclubs usually have a £3 entry fee. cost of a return to town is £2.30. Washing machine costs £1.70 and dryers cost £1.

For freshers week you will probably want double the money you have for a normal week as you sign up to loads of stuff.

I think that's pretty much it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending