The Student Room Group

For the Girls - Toning, Diet and Excercise a very basic guide - Please read!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stephie.u3
Fair enough, thank you:biggrin:

Try tummy vacuum exercises. They are the true core exercise rather than crunches or any of that stuff. Look them up, they will help you get that sexy hourglass figure as the deep core muscles will act like a corset.
Original post by Classical Liberal
Try tummy vacuum exercises. They are the true core exercise rather than crunches or any of that stuff. Look them up, they will help you get that sexy hourglass figure as the deep core muscles will act like a corset.

While vacuums work your deep abdominal muscles (ie; transverse abdominus) as opposed to crunches which work your more superficial abdominal muscles they certainly aren't a "core" exercise (lumbar musculature and obliques are completely neglected).

As for them improving your physique that is only while your tense your abdominals and draw in your stomach. The fat doesn't magically disappear and that will be clear for all to see when you stop/relax.

You time would be much better spent eating less, eating better, getting more quality exercise or exercising harder.
Original post by ch0c0h01ic
While vacuums work your deep abdominal muscles (ie; transverse abdominus) as opposed to crunches which work your more superficial abdominal muscles they certainly aren't a "core" exercise (lumbar musculature and obliques are completely neglected).

As for them improving your physique that is only while your tense your abdominals and draw in your stomach. The fat doesn't magically disappear and that will be clear for all to see when you stop/relax.

You time would be much better spent eating less, eating better, getting more quality exercise or exercising harder.

True. But doesn't doing vacuums strengthen up your posture. The muscles that actually support your body in day to day life. Isn't that pretty much the definition of core strength (rather than being able to a gazillion sit ups, which have very little practical application, other than being a poser)
True. But doesn't doing vacuums strengthen up your posture. The muscles that actually support your body in day to day life. Isn't that pretty much the definition of core strength (rather than being able to a gazillion sit ups, which have very little practical application, other than being a poser)

Most people's problems stem from having weak lumbar muscles or a weak core in general, in that context crunches, situps and vacuums help very little.

True core exercises are things like planks, ab-wheel rollouts, squats, deadlifts, overhead pressing, rowing, chinups and pullups where you are forced to brace your whole midsection to resist compression or extension.

Spinal erectors, scapular retractors (rhomboids, middle traps), rear delts, lats are more important than traversus abdominus for "posture". Spinal erectos and quadratus lumborum are more supporting muscles. Psoas is also important.

To answer the OP's question, whether larger obliques will make you look blocky or improve an hourglass figure really depends on your genetics and how the muscle fibres originate and how they insert. It's impossible to tell if you'll look blocky or more curvy unless you actually work your obliques. "Blocky" is also subjective, and to see any real distinguishable noticeable difference, you'd have to increase the size of the obliques considerably, which would take a lot of hard work and several years.
Tomorrow I don't know whether or not to go swimming or go to the gym. I can't do both as I am going with my mum and it will take too long. I am trying to lose weight but without gaining muscle, especially on my inner thighs. Which should I do????
For pure weight loss swimming is great, low impact too so you can do it way more often
Reply 747
Gym. You won't put on muscle if you're not eating enough, but if you're eating less your muscle will waste away unless you do weights. Think conservation, rather than putting more on.
Reply 748
Swim>>
both!! but if you really can't, swim... as long as you aren't a lazy swimmer.
Reply 750
firstly you wont put on muscle either way really since if your trying to loose weight you (hopefully) wont be eating enough to.

secondly if your just going to be doing cardio at the gym swimming since its essentially cardio but there is a small element of resistance as well. but really either will be good just do which ever you would prefer as long as you put effort in and don't do it half arsed either will help :smile:
im a girl and doing basic strength training 3 times a week and want to do cardio 2 times a week at the gym. What would be a good cardio routine in the gym?

i used to go swimming anymore but i cant at the moment.
Reply 752
The same as it would be for guys.

HIIT on the rowing machine maybe?
Reply 753
Original post by tooosh
The same as it would be for guys.

HIIT on the rowing machine maybe?

HIIT on the rowing machine is death. definitely a good workout
Reply 754
Has your gym got a stepper machine ? I tried one the other day at my gym and it destroyed me haha, it is basically a stair climbing simulation and it also tones the legs and bum (which girls seem to like)

When i'm at the gym the girls always use the stepper or cross-trainer (elliptical machines) for cardio.
Original post by ch0c0h01ic
Most people's problems stem from having weak lumbar muscles or a weak core in general, in that context crunches, situps and vacuums help very little.

True core exercises are things like planks, ab-wheel rollouts, squats, deadlifts, overhead pressing, rowing, chinups and pullups where you are forced to brace your whole midsection to resist compression or extension.

Would you say the same for particular positions found in yoga/pilates? Like the V/boat pose?
Step outside the gym in to the wonderful world and go for a run. The park is free and superior to any cardio machine.
Original post by pineapple_thorns
Would you say the same for particular positions found in yoga/pilates? Like the V/boat pose?

No.

Again that is more of an abdominal exercise rather than a core exercise.
Reply 758
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
Sooooooo up my weights and do less reps?

Yep!

(Taken from the FAQ thread)

I'd say go for a challenging weight at 8-10 reps per set for 3 sets. You won't get the results you're looking for doing 25 reps.
Original post by Becca
Yep!

(Taken from the FAQ thread)

I'd say go for a challenging weight at 8-10 reps per set for 3 sets. You won't get the results you're looking for doing 25 reps.

Thaaanks! I started doing that yesterday and I am definitely aching today!

Also, what does everyone think about kettlebells? I'm thinking of doing a kettlebell circuit my personal trainer devised for me about three times a week, and then cardio twice a week ( I am sorry, but I love cardio sessions).

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest