The Student Room Group

Maastricht Applicants 2012?

Scroll to see replies

Hey! Just wondering when students from the UK should start applying for Masstricht I'm starting my last year of high school now (A levels) but we start UCAS applications at the start of the year in September so would I start applying at the same time as my UCAS applications to study European Law in 2013?

Any help/information would be great!
Reply 761
Original post by Jtasker592
Hey! Just wondering when students from the UK should start applying for Masstricht I'm starting my last year of high school now (A levels) but we start UCAS applications at the start of the year in September so would I start applying at the same time as my UCAS applications to study European Law in 2013?

Any help/information would be great!

Hey, it doesn't matter too much. I applied for UCAS in October and I applied to Maastricht in April.
Original post by lucas13
Is it hard to get into Maastricht or other dutch unis such as Amsterdam, what a level grades do you need?

All you need is just to have the right subjects to be done at an A-level and all they require you is to pass. For example, I was thinking of going to study medicine in groningen university and all they needed was a pass at an A-level for the subjects of math, chemistry, biology and physics and then you will be considered. I would say it is still hard because you still want to get excellent grades, the better you do on the A-level the more likely it is possible but there are other requirements you need to have done.
For those that have got rooms already, how did you go about doing this? Am I right that if you use wmm.nl you have to pay one month's rent as a non-refundable fee, or is it just a deposit? Do the properties on maastrichthousing also have this commission when I sign up? And if I sign up to maastrichthousing are all the properties that I can see now available or are some already rented? I'm a bit put out by having to pay a fee just to be able to go in for a room, but I guess I need to get one soon...

Also, if anyone here has studied at Maastricht before, where would the best place be for a Master's student to get a room, in terms of both location and website? I'm guessing the majority of places will be filled with undergraduates but might be nice to live with other Master's students.
Has anybody who has applied for International Business received the letter regarding the decentralised selection to confirm their place? I haven't received anything since I got my ranking number.
Original post by the39thpotato
For those that have got rooms already, how did you go about doing this? Am I right that if you use wmm.nl you have to pay one month's rent as a non-refundable fee, or is it just a deposit? Do the properties on maastrichthousing also have this commission when I sign up? And if I sign up to maastrichthousing are all the properties that I can see now available or are some already rented? I'm a bit put out by having to pay a fee just to be able to go in for a room, but I guess I need to get one soon...

Also, if anyone here has studied at Maastricht before, where would the best place be for a Master's student to get a room, in terms of both location and website? I'm guessing the majority of places will be filled with undergraduates but might be nice to live with other Master's students.

Yo :smile:

I was going to book through wmm until I found out about the fee (I believe that it is 1 month + 19% tax). Which made it a stupidly expensive startup cost especially as most places are unfurnished (I worked out that the fee + deposit + furniture would come to around 1600 Euro before I even paid any rent).

On maastrichthousing (assuming you go for uni managed) you only pay the 35Euro membership for 3 years plus the daily cost and also a cleaning fee of around 75Euro for the end. The initial deposit i believe acts as the last months rent.

If you haven't signed up yet and want to know what is available (I assume you are a new bachelors student), I can filter my results as a paid member on MaastrichtHousing and send you a list of the results.
Reply 766
Original post by Catherine5
Has anybody who has applied for International Business received the letter regarding the decentralised selection to confirm their place? I haven't received anything since I got my ranking number.

Hi! I received an email from DUO(17th of july) confirming my place and I am waiting for the placement of certificate as well as the paper I have to send back to Maastricht to properly confirm, that will go through the regular mail. The uni called me up the other day to make sure I was accepting my place and they told me that a lot of people hadn't sent their grades in to DUO since they thought sending only to the university was sufficient and a lot of people didn't get their certificate of placement because of it. Maybe that it was happened to you? Anyways I would give them a ring just to double check that they received everything in ordern. Im starting International business in september.

I found my room through maaslandbeheer which is one of the agencies there. I did have to pay a commission fee and deposit of one and a half months rent but I reckon it was worth it since I didnt have time to hunt ppl down through facebook.
Original post by Alexgadgetman

On maastrichthousing (assuming you go for uni managed) you only pay the 35Euro membership for 3 years plus the daily cost and also a cleaning fee of around 75Euro for the end. The initial deposit i believe acts as the last months rent.

If you haven't signed up yet and want to know what is available (I assume you are a new bachelors student), I can filter my results as a paid member on MaastrichtHousing and send you a list of the results.

Cheers. So are the non-University managed rooms on maastrichthousing (I see some are offered by wmm there) subject to a fee? Some of them, especially the wmm ones seem to have a very high deposit, but I was assuming that was just a deposit - they don't tell you that it's a fee when you sign up do they? I was looking to not stay in the university managed ones, as they seem like halls as far as I can see, and instead in a room in an apartment somewhere. I'm a Master's student, looking to stay fairly centrally - as near the law faculty as possible really. If you had time to do a quick check of what was there that would be great.
Original post by the39thpotato
Cheers.

PM'd
Reply 769
Hi,
This is so much information, so many posts so I'm sorry if I've missed something but I've just got a couple of questions. I am started a Masters in European Studies in September (anyone else?!). I've left finding somewhere to live a little late and Guesthouse UM don't have much available. The best for me seems to be Wardehofplein. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of it, advice etc. Or if anyone could suggest somewhere else to look for accommodation. Ideally I'd want to be somewhere quite social - I don't know anyone in Maastricht so I don't really want to seclude myself in a private apartment! Thanks
Reply 770
Hey
I've finally decided that I will go to Maastricht come September!
I was hoping that any of you who are starting this year could DM me or something? I'd quite like to get to know some of the International students who will be going. I'm slightly terrified of moving to a new country where I don't know anyone.
I hope i don't sound like a creep....

Edit: where would be the best area for housing? I have left everything a little late and I need some help?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Asha5692
Hey you can check out the groups on Facebook Rooms/ Kamer/ Zimmer in Maastricht; Maastricht Student Rooms and Flat Hunting Maastricht. People post pictures with prices of their rooms to let/sublet. Good luck!

Is it nice?

Are you in the science programme? What do you think about it?

Yay! I'm going to MSC let us know all you find out on your trip.

I honestly think it's a really good idea for a course (to merge all the sciences and let you pick), i have no idea what i'll end up doing all i know is that i want it to be biology and geography related and there aren't any courses in the UK like this. I also really want to choose a language elective if i can, maybe one that will help if i decide to do the work experience semester abroad, i'd love to go somewhere in Asia. I really hope it will be a good experience, plus i've always wanted to study abroad :biggrin:
Original post by Mac.
Hey
I've finally decided that I will go to Maastricht come September!
I was hoping that any of you who are starting this year could DM me or something? I'd quite like to get to know some of the International students who will be going. I'm slightly terrified of moving to a new country where I don't know anyone.
I hope i don't sound like a creep....

Edit: where would be the best area for housing? I have left everything a little late and I need some help?

Hehee, don't worry you don't sound like a creep at all :smile:
What course are you going to take, i'm at the MSC and starting in sepetmber too.
I haven't found my accommodation either yet (so i don't think your too late, although every EU international student has to be registered in housing before 15th September, still that is miles away), i think the main way for finding accommodation is the website maastrichthousing.com, but i've been looking for somewhere on there for a month and haven't found anything close enough, they put properties up that are in Belgium for some reason. But there is apparently a facebook page that people post empty rooms on, im trying to get a studio but anywhere not too small would be good :tongue:
Are you going to INKOM?
Original post by Asha5692
Hey, I'm finding out for you whether the room's still available. It's close to MSC - should be about 5-10 minutes by bike.

Tell me about your country. (I would Wikipedia it but I'd prefer to hear from you)

Wow 5-10 minutes away? Thats sooo close, do you know how big the room is?
Original post by lollofabbrism
I am seriously considering to study there... At MSC (maastricht science programme)!!
I think I will go to Maastricht the next week to visit the faculty, the city and to do what I need for the enrollment and rent of a room or studio!

Wow your going over really early then, i've decided if i don't find anywhere before i go over i'll just end up staying in a hotel until i find somewhere, if i do that i'll have a week to find my accommodation. Though I'm determined not to let that happen ^^
Original post by Pineappledogs
H i think the main way for finding accommodation is the website maastrichthousing.com, but i've been looking for somewhere on there for a month and haven't found anything close enough, they put properties up that are in Belgium for some reason. But there is apparently a facebook page that people post empty rooms on, im trying to get a studio but anywhere not too small would be good :tongue:
Are you going to INKOM?

The Maastricht housing site currently has 5 rooms remaining for bachelors students that are actually university managed and furnished for a 12 month period...
3 at Tongerseweg
1 at Wardehofplein
1 at Prof Pieter Willemsstraat

All the other rooms are either booked or would seem to be private and unfurnished for the most part - ie on top of the 35Euro fee for the Maastrichthousing site I think that you would then have to pay an agency fee.

The fbook group is rooms / kamer / zimmer in Maastricht IIRC.

Its getting closer now :O
Reply 776
Original post by Surge1991
All you need is just to have the right subjects to be done at an A-level and all they require you is to pass. For example, I was thinking of going to study medicine in groningen university and all they needed was a pass at an A-level for the subjects of math, chemistry, biology and physics and then you will be considered. I would say it is still hard because you still want to get excellent grades, the better you do on the A-level the more likely it is possible but there are other requirements you need to have done.

what are these other requirements?
Reply 777
The Maastricht housing site currently has 5 rooms remaining for bachelors students that are actually university managed and furnished for a 12 month period...
3 at Tongerseweg
1 at Wardehofplein

How did yo find these places?
3 at Tongerseweg
1 at Wardehofplein

All the other rooms are either booked or would seem to be private and unfurnished for the most part - ie on top of the 35Euro fee for the Maastrichthousing site I think that you would then have to pay an agency fee.

The fbook group is rooms / kamer / zimmer in Maastricht IIRC.

Its getting closer now :O

Thank You, yea i already applied to the Prof Pieter Willemsstraat room, and sent the deposit, and thinking everything was good about to go abroad for 2 weeks when i got a notification that the room wasn't available so my deposit was turned into positive credits for another housing and i just got an email saying that a studio the same to that was available in the same building still and am being allocated a room there now, so not as much of a nightmare as i though it would be. I'm hoping they get back to me with good news so my search for accommodation can finally be over!
Hey do you know anything about when we can apply for the OV card? I'll be needing one seen as my studio is 18 mins away from the uni :smile:
It's on maastrichthousing.com but i think Alexgadgetman has a higher access than first years get, so can see more information:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending