The Student Room Group

Does the quality of university affect employability?

I have a place at Kent for English and History, but, with A*AB, I'm wondering if I should take a gap year and reapply to somewhere 'better'. Will going to a better ranked university be advantageous to me in the future?
I think a degree from the well known top universities such as Cambridge will always be seen as better than other more 'mainsteam?' universities by employers. I guess you would have to think what an employer would see, if he/she had two applicants, one from Harvard and the other from his/her local university, then they would probably be drawn more towards the guy/girl from Harvard.
Of course the uni you choose affects employability to a certain extent, statistics everywhere can show you that, however if you like kent, go to kent! Kent is a very good university, and you got to go somewhere you will be happy, so essentially, do what you want, you're the one who should make this decision.
It depends on the employer. My dad owns a company and he hires people with any degree from any university if they demonstrate that they have the capability to complete the job (he runs an insurance brokers - so they work in claims, legal problems, etc)

However I'm aware that's not the case for a lot of places, especially with the current economic climate. Employers are having to pick and choose who they hire and they'll look at the finer details of your academia.

If you're not 100% happy with your chosen university then take a year our and apply next year. Don't pay 9,000 for something you're not completely satisfied with.
Reply 4
it is absolutely imperative. Health care science with Textiles at London met? you might as well print out your own certificates. ANY mathematics course at COWI? it'll be difficult not to get a job.

So it varies depending on what your course and uni is.
Reply 5
Yes, but it depends on your subject and what you do with your gap year. Some not so highly ranked universities have very high employability ratings in certain subjects, usually due to the content of the course. Also you would have to do something in your gap year (e.g. work, voluntary work, travel is usually considered fine if you wanted to do that as shows interaction with new cultures, independence etc.).

Also, only do this if you want to go somewhere else. If you really like Kent why go somewhere else? I chose somewhere that asked for grades way below what I got, but I really like the uni, place and course. If you're not enjoying yourself, you won't work as hard in the first place.

Anyway, good luck + well done on your grades
Of course!
Original post by agoetcherian
I have a place at Kent for English and History, but, with A*AB, I'm wondering if I should take a gap year and reapply to somewhere 'better'. Will going to a better ranked university be advantageous to me in the future?

why not go through adjustment like i've done?
Reply 8
It depends whether you like Kent. It's definitely a good uni, although A*AB won't get you to top unis like oxbridge etc.
I would stick with kent, you might have better job prospects coming from another uni, but history is a competitive course, and unless you retook your alevels it might be difficult to get into the better Russell Group unis with A*AB, such as UCL which requires A*AA
Reply 9
Unless you're going to apply to oxbridge or you're planning on studying law or medicine then I don't think it makes a difference tbh.
I was in a similar position to you i got a*bb and was considering not goin kent for a higher university however when i weighed out the pros and cons unless i'm goin to oxford it wont make a difference also kent has very high employability rates

I would say that the better your university, the better chances of getting a good job, but bear in mind that English is a heavily oversubscribed subject in British universities, so much so that some universities (Durham are quite bad for this) rarely accept individuals without stellar GCSEs as well as A-Levels.

That B might let you down as well, but I'd say you'll probably be able to get into somewhere better than Kent.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by thelawstudent
why not go through adjustment like i've done?

Adjustment is a faff on, IMO.

You get less chance to scope out a university properly, hardly any time to really assess the university and the majority of universities that have adjustment places only have adjustment places because they couldn't fill their places in the first place, which is generally an indicator that they're not that good.

It's better to wait a year and reapply.
Reply 13
Original post by Assassination
x

Original post by charliemac41
x

Original post by neutralmilkhotel
x

Original post by ilickbatteries
x

Thanks for your responses guys.

An option is the same course at Sheffield through adjustment with guaranteed accommodation. I understand that I won't make Oxbridge with my grades, but they are enough for Sheffield. Is the difference between these two universities (Sheffield being russell group) wide enough to make any sort of difference?

(Edit: Perhaps I should have mentioned I'm leaning towards a career in publishing/journalism at the moment, not law, banking etc.)
Thanks for your responses guys.

An option is the same course at Sheffield through adjustment with guaranteed accommodation. I understand that I won't make Oxbridge with my grades, but they are enough for Sheffield. Is the difference between these two universities (Sheffield being russell group) wide enough to make any sort of difference?

(Edit: Perhaps I should have mentioned I'm leaning towards a career in publishing/journalism at the moment, not law, banking etc.)

I think universities do matter a little bit! :smile: I'm a Scottish student so I can't say much about the reputation of English universities (apart from Oxbridge of course). I know for a fact that Sheffield is really good. As for Kent, according to thecompleteuniversityguide.com it ranks fives spaces below Sheffield overall and two spaces below for English Literature (and apparently such guides aren't always reliable). I know of two rather reputable authors who went to the University of Kent: Kazuo Ishiguro (Never Let Me Go) and David Mitchell (Cloud Atlas). Apart from that, what do you think? I guess it's true that Sheffield is a bit more reputable than Kent so it might give you a boost. It's up to you honestly. If you don't have your heart set out on going to Kent, if the course at Sheffield looks much better and you'd like more prestige (which it absolutely is) then go ahead to Sheffield! :smile:

I don't see what you have to lose! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Definitely take a gap year. Going to Kent with A*A*B is a total waste.The B would bar you from Oxford and Cambridge but you would definitely have a shot at London which is a couple of hundred steps above Kent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending