The Student Room Group

Does the school you go to affect your GCSE’s?

I want to go to a different school because I don’t like the people I go to in my current one. Also the environment bores me and I just can’t wait until every lesson is over rather than enjoying what I’m learning. However, the different school has a fair share of students that are naughty but I still want to go. Will this affect my gcses? Does the school you go to or the people around you affect it or maybe if the education isn’t so good? I think I can also learn if I go to a tutor and study at home additionally.
Reply 1
No it doesn't matter what science you go to as its up to yourself how much effort and hard work you put in to getting good grades.
Original post by idonnnttcaree
I want to go to a different school because I don’t like the people I go to in my current one. Also the environment bores me and I just can’t wait until every lesson is over rather than enjoying what I’m learning. However, the different school has a fair share of students that are naughty but I still want to go. Will this affect my gcses? Does the school you go to or the people around you affect it or maybe if the education isn’t so good? I think I can also learn if I go to a tutor and study at home additionally.

No the school or the environment will not eradicate your chances of academic success if you have the drive to do well. For GCSE, I went to a grammar school, had my teachers changed every term because they kept leaving/getting fired and teachers who couldn't teach and would literally get us to repeat facts at them instead of explaining it. I had enough, so I taught myself using the specification and freesciencelessons, came out with 11x 9s and an A (fsmq) and was fine. My friends have a similar story. To be blunt: change your school if it makes you feel better, but honestly it isn't really about the school. It's about yourself and whether you want to succeed. You'll be fine either way dw :smile:

However, I suggest you consider the ideal learning environment for you. After GCSE, my friend switched from one grammar school to another one that was higher up the league table (it's like top 10 in the country). She hates it there. She says everyone is competitive and there's a lot of grade comparison and hates the people there. Because of this, she has felt extremely stressed and her grades have slipped. If you thrive in a pressure cooker environment, go to a school like my friend goes to. If you are like me and rather not go to a pressure cooker environment like that, choose a school that doesn't have that, even if it's not as high in the league table.

Tbf, unis look at how well you do for your type of school in your cohort, so if you did extremely well in a non-selective state school where everyone is getting like Cs and Ds, that would stand out to them more than if you did extremely well in a selective state school where everyone is getting As and A*s. League tables don't mean sht - just choose a school you like and has your subjects.
Reply 3
Schools vary in quality, top of the leagues to the bottom.
Some schools have exceptional results some have dire results.

However if you hate the environment it may well affect your learning.
You might be better going to a sixth form college and retaking GCSEs ?
This works well if the school environment just isn’t “you” and a more relaxed environment suits you.
Some exam boards are “harder” than others, but few universities or employers care what board gives the certificates. Unis don’t care about GCSE grades, (bar English and Maths) they care about A levels.
Reply 4
Original post by Tracey_W
No it doesn't matter what science you go to as its up to yourself how much effort and hard work you put in to getting good grades.

Thanks.
Reply 5
Original post by domonict
Schools vary in quality, top of the leagues to the bottom.
Some schools have exceptional results some have dire results.

However if you hate the environment it may well affect your learning.
You might be better going to a sixth form college and retaking GCSEs ?
This works well if the school environment just isn’t “you” and a more relaxed environment suits you.
Some exam boards are “harder” than others, but few universities or employers care what board gives the certificates. Unis don’t care about GCSE grades, (bar English and Maths) they care about A levels.

Sorry, I think I was too vague. I haven’t done my GCSE’s yet, I just don’t like my current school but the one I want to go to has worse GCSE rates and kind of a bad rep. I was just wondering if moving to this school thats “worse” would affect my grades.
Reply 6
Original post by missling40
No the school or the environment will not eradicate your chances of academic success if you have the drive to do well. For GCSE, I went to a grammar school, had my teachers changed every term because they kept leaving/getting fired and teachers who couldn't teach and would literally get us to repeat facts at them instead of explaining it. I had enough, so I taught myself using the specification and freesciencelessons, came out with 11x 9s and an A (fsmq) and was fine. My friends have a similar story. To be blunt: change your school if it makes you feel better, but honestly it isn't really about the school. It's about yourself and whether you want to succeed. You'll be fine either way dw :smile:

However, I suggest you consider the ideal learning environment for you. After GCSE, my friend switched from one grammar school to another one that was higher up the league table (it's like top 10 in the country). She hates it there. She says everyone is competitive and there's a lot of grade comparison and hates the people there. Because of this, she has felt extremely stressed and her grades have slipped. If you thrive in a pressure cooker environment, go to a school like my friend goes to. If you are like me and rather not go to a pressure cooker environment like that, choose a school that doesn't have that, even if it's not as high in the league table.

Tbf, unis look at how well you do for your type of school in your cohort, so if you did extremely well in a non-selective state school where everyone is getting like Cs and Ds, that would stand out to them more than if you did extremely well in a selective state school where everyone is getting As and A*s. League tables don't mean sht - just choose a school you like and has your subjects.

Wow, thank u sooo much for this. Gave me the reassurance I needed.
Wow, thank u sooo much for this. Gave me the reassurance I needed.

I'm glad to hear that :smile: I had similar concerns to you a year or two ago. I wish you luck with whatever the next stage is in your education!
Reply 8
Thanks.

No worries and good luck with things 👍

Quick Reply

Latest