The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bananarama2
Discrete maths puts me off maths to be honest.

Let me guess, because of the D modules? The person who invented those modules should be taken out and shot. The moment those modules were introduced, the image of computer science has been forever tarnished.
Reply 2941
Original post by ukdragon37
Let me guess, because of the D modules? The person who invented those modules should be taken out and shot. The moment those modules were introduced, the image of computer science has been forever tarnished.

I'm just not very good at it and partly because of the D modules. I would have much higher F maths percentage if it wasn't for D1.
Define for any set SS the set S=S{}S_{\bot} = S \cup \{ \bot \} for some weird and wacky object S\bot \notin S

We introduce the concept of higher-order functions, which are functions that could take other functions as arguments. For example the higher-order function f:(NN)Nf : \left( \mathbb{N} \rightarrow \mathbb{N} \right) \rightarrow \mathbb{N} takes in an N->N function as its argument and gives an N as the result. A concrete example:

Now define a function f:NNf : \mathbb{N} \rightarrow \mathbb{N}_{\bot} as almost total if f(x)=f\left(x\right)=\bot for exactly one value of x. An ancient question asked whether there exists an oracle higher-order function r:(NN)Nr: \left( \mathbb{N} \rightarrow \mathbb{N}_{\bot} \right) \rightarrow \mathbb{N} such that for all possible almost total f, g(f)=x    f(x)=g\left(f\right) = x \iff f\left(x\right) = \bot. In other words, the oracle spots for which value the almost total function given to it returns the weird and wacky \bot.

Prove that the oracle does not exist.

Spoiler

So how do you do it?
I really like discrete maths. I also think it's ability in combinatorics is much more closely connected to raw mathematical intuition than the other subjects in maths. Anyway, here's a nice problem.

Each square of a 1998 by 2002 chess board contains the numbers 1 or 0 such that the total number of squares containing 1 is odd in each row and each column. Prove that the number of white unit squares containing 1 is even.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Blutooth
I really like discrete maths. I also think it's much ability on combinatorics is much more closely connected to raw mathematical intuition than the other subjects in maths. Anyway, here's a nice problem.

Each square of a 1998 by 2002 chess board contains the numbers 1 or 0 such that the total number of squares containing 1 is odd in each row and each column. Prove that the number of white unit squares containing 1 is even.

I like this problem :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I feel pretty dumb too :frown:

Worrying thing I'm not sure if I'm meant to know this stuff. :/
Original post by SrijanParmeshwar
So how do you do it?

Ask this guy:
Alan_Turing_photo.jpg

:wink:
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
I feel pretty dumb too :frown:

Worrying thing I'm not sure if I'm meant to know this stuff. :/

You don't need to know anything in the last few pages

Reply 2948
Does anyone now what I should expect in a natural sciences interview?
Ask this guy:
Alan_Turing_photo.jpg

:wink:

What is an almost total function?
Original post by TheMagicMan
You don't need to know anything in the last few pages

What if I told you I'll be applying for a joint maths course as LSE? :colondollar:
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
What if I told you I'll be applying for a joint maths course as LSE? :colondollar:

Still the same

Reply 2952

Sounds like something the symbolic maths guy came up with.

It is a function which gives \bot at exactly one argument. On all other arguments the function gives you a number as normal.

But seriously, doesn't A-level teach you what total and partial functions are? :confused: All I'm saying is that an almost total function is one which is undefined (i.e. you can see it as what \bot represents) at exactly one point.

Sounds like something the symbolic maths guy came up with.

:mad: I am insulted!
Reply 2954

:mad: I am insulted!

It's become the new maths insult :tongue:
I really like discrete maths. I also think it's ability in combinatorics is much more closely connected to raw mathematical intuition than the other subjects in maths. Anyway, here's a nice problem.

Quite a big hint for this problem.

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
It's become the new maths insult :tongue:

:sigh: I think I should just reveal the answer to my question. I think I started with one that's too abstract for people to understand.

As a CompSci, please tell me you get what the question is about (and you should really get the in-joke too :tongue: )
(edited 11 years ago)
:sigh: I think I should just reveal the answer to my question. I think I started with one that's too abstract for people to understand.

As a CompSci, please tell me you get what the question is about (and you should really get the in-joke too :tongue: )

I'll read it through properly and see. Give me 10 minutes :tongue:.

I know what the question is about. I don't get the joke however :tongue:

Your question is about debugging. It proves that it is impossible to have a program that can check where exactly all bugged programs are going wrong.
(edited 11 years ago)
I know what the question is about. I don't get the joke however :tongue:

I meant the joke as "ask this guy", with the guy being the one that actually solved the problem first? :tongue:

Latest