The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ukdragon37
I meant the joke as "ask this guy", with the guy being the one that actually solved the problem first? :tongue:

yeah obvs :smile:. That's like asking a Physicist if he's heard of Newton.
Reply 2961
Original post by silentlife
Wait - you don't! :lolwut:

Spoiler

haha, good one
Reply 2962
Who?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Blutooth
yeah obvs :smile:. That's like asking a Physicist if he's heard of Newton.

Hence "in-joke" :wink: because unfortunately people outside computer science/maths can't seem to state what exactly he proved, even if they know a little about him.

Also it was his centenary, so I thought the question is apt :tongue:
Original post by bananarama2
Who?

The British cryptologist who cracked the enigma code and helped intercept countless Nazi messages. Also the guy who laid out the principles for the computer, that thing you are typing on, through the universal turing machine. Also showed that all functions in mathematics that could be calculated could be done so by a universal turing machine.

Ya know, That guy, What's his face.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2965
The British cryptologist who cracked the enigma code and helped intercept countless Nazi messages. Also the guy who laid out the principles for the computer, that thing you are typing on, through the universal turing machine. Also showed that all functions in mathematics that could be calculated could be done so by a universal turing machine.

I was joking. Who doesn't know who he is.

I suspected you probably were, but I wanted to run with it (a because it's funny and b) for the benefit of people on this forum who don't know about him. There will be quite a few.
Reply 2967
Never heard of him
Reply 2968
I suspected you probably were, but I wanted to run with it (a because it's funny and b) for the benefit of people on this forum who don't know about him. There will be quite a few.

Didn't he kill himself after being prosecuted for homosexuality?

Aaaanyway. That question is basically one way of mathematically formulating the halting problem, which Turing proved as a falsifying witness to the Entscheidungsproblem. And as I said, it's Turing's centenary, so I thought the question was apt :tongue:

The problem and its proof is not actually that advanced. A wordy proof is given in the book which King's uses as its interview text, so in fact the question could be discussed at the interview. I just stated the problem (or rather, one formalisation of it) using mathematical notation.

For non-computer-inclined people: The unsolvability of the halting problem is basically why whatever computer you buy you can never guarantee it won't crash/have bugs. (Despite what Apple says)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Arva
Didn't he kill himself after being prosecuted for homosexuality?

That was the tragic end. No one even knew about his code-breaking till like 40 years ago as his military activites were classified and to be kept secret. So in his lifetime he was an unsung hero. Quite sad really.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2971
That was the tragic end. No one even knew about his code-breaking till like 40 years ago as his military activites were classified and to be kept secret? So in his lifetime he was an unsung hero. Quite sad really.

Very sad.
He was a Wrangler too right? I read some stuff on his history a while back, don't ask me why.
Original post by Arva
Very sad.
He was a Wrangler too right? I read some stuff on his history a while back, don't ask me why.

That's cool :smile: .His life is interesting...
Reply 2973
That's cool :smile: .His life is interesting...

Reminds me of Oscar Wilde a fair bit. Sad stuff.
Original post by Arva
Reminds me of Oscar Wilde a fair bit. Sad stuff.

Except Oscar Wilde was also a bit pretentious.
Reply 2975
Except Oscar Wilde was also a bit pretentious.

I meant the whole "very good in his field and died tragically because of his sexual orientation" but never mind. :redface:
Reply 2976
Thinking about getting a Macbook Pro but this forum seems so anti-apple... I can't find any Windows laptops with everything I want for much cheaper though.

Might make a thread.
Original post by Kadux
Thinking about getting a Macbook Pro but this forum seems so anti-apple... I can't find any Windows laptops with everything I want for much cheaper though.

Might make a thread.

You know what they say, once you go mac you never go back you're gonna need a wheelchair.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2978
I guess I'll just post here as I didn't really agree with a lot of the opinions in the laptops sub-forum. First of all, unlike if it was a desktop, I don't consider the components to be the most important, in fact I would prefer integrated graphics to increase battery life and decrease heat. I want a decent processor so probably like an i5 or i7. The big things though are... It must have a decent resolution, this is the biggest thing for me and what makes finding a cheaper laptop hard. I am used to having a 1080p screen with my desktop so going to 1366x768 would be awful for something I will use for 4 years. It also must have a long battery life, I think the 7 hours that a MBP offers is good but more would be welcome obviously. The last important thing is it must have a good touchpad and keyboard and way too often I read that good laptops are ruined by a ****ty touchpad. I also want it to not be a really thick standard sized 15" laptop.

There are a few Vaios and Dells I have seen which do meet all these requirements but are within £100-£200 of a macbook and I would rather have the ability to use OSX as well as the other two operating systems for this relatively small price difference for something which I feel is very important.
Morning :smile:

Latest