The Student Room Group

Worth taking STEP for MMath/MPhys degree courses?

I'm applying to university this cycle (to start Autumn 2013).

I'm currently looking to apply to courses in the following (as applicable at individual universities):
- MPhys Theoretical Physics
- MPhys/MMath Physics and Mathematics (Dual Hons)
- MPhys Physics with Mathematics

at Lancaster, York, Sheffield, Bath and Sussex, although my choices may change to include either Imperial or UCL, and Durham.

I'm wondering if it is worth me doing STEP Mathematics papers this year, in order to supplement my application or for the purpose of preparing for university-level Maths questions?
What A-levels are you taking?
UCL and Bath have only just started including STEP papers as requirements for their MATHS degrees (so far as I know) and even then it's only if you choose to sit them that they'll make you an offer on them.
I suppose if perhaps your AS results were lacking in respect to what you'd hoped then it could help with your application - particularly to the Maths/Physics courses. However seeing as none of them requirement - I would concentrate on just getting the grades, unless it's no fuss of course and you got good grades for AS - in which case - if you have the free time - then why not? :biggrin: Though of course be wary of them giving you an offer on STEP if you just mean it to be a small addition - another exam to screw up on possibly :biggrin:
If you're taking further maths A2 I wouldn't bother personally.

Hope this helped. (ish)
Reply 2
Original post by dragonrabbit
What A-levels are you taking?

In some respects, my A-Level profile is "Perfect" for Physics/Maths courses. I got my A-Level in Maths in Year 11, and now, in Year 13, I'm taking Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry (all to A2).

UCL and Bath have only just started including STEP papers as requirements for their MATHS degrees (so far as I know) and even then it's only if you choose to sit them that they'll make you an offer on them.

I was uncertain on this one - there are so many mixed signals about whether they have them as a standard part of the offer, or whether it's just an "enhancement"

I suppose if perhaps your AS results were lacking in respect to what you'd hoped then it could help with your application - particularly to the Maths/Physics courses. However seeing as none of them requirement - I would concentrate on just getting the grades, unless it's no fuss of course and you got good grades for AS - in which case - if you have the free time - then why not? :biggrin:

My AS grades were FM- A; Physics - A; Chemistry - B (aac); I have A-Level Maths also at Grade A (with a on C1-4 and S1, b on M1) so I'm hoping to be on for AAAA at least overall at A-Levels.

I have the free time, I was guessing it would just be a small bonus boost to my application, and would demonstrate also that I'm still keeping on top of my A-Level Maths Core knowledge, and still using it and applying it, as I finished my A-Level already, and I know that some of the universities were a little uneasy about it when I contacted them directly in the past.

Though of course be wary of them giving you an offer on STEP if you just mean it to be a small addition - another exam to screw up on possibly :biggrin:

Good point - I don't want to jinx it, I guess.

If you're taking further maths A2 I wouldn't bother personally.

Well, I am...

Hope this helped. (ish)

Thanks for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest