The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

University Mathematics

Is taking a Mmathphys good when compared to MMath at Warwick?
Original post by Bhhhghhgg
Is taking a Mmathphys good when compared to MMath at Warwick?

If you want to focus on physics and applied math, maybe Mmathphys. The pros is that there is an offer for those not taking FM - A* math A* physics A 3rd subject. So if for some reason you don't take FM you can still get there.

MMath is tough in warwick... and you need the FM. The offer is tougher for MMath than Mmathphys so bear in mind.

And if you're paying international fees - mmath is cheaper than mmathphys (because of the lab component in physics).
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
I mean I love maths and I love theoretical physics I tend to get a stars in maths and further maths so it’s difficult to decide?
Original post by Bhhhghhgg
I mean I love maths and I love theoretical physics I tend to get a stars in maths and further maths so it’s difficult to decide?

There's a lot of flexibility in the Warwick maths course, so you can choose to take plenty of physics optional modules every year even if you aren't on the maths and physics course. Could be a good way to get the best of both worlds without locking yourself into any subject (MathsPhys have more core modules so much less flexibility), or if you want to avoid certain topics within physics.

Being on a joint degree means a little less support from the maths department (since you're based in the other department, so they don't give as many maths supervisions etc. to allow time for your physics stuff). It's also generally a lot easier (although not guaranteed) to switch from Maths to Maths and Physics after first year, rather than going from Maths and Physics to Maths, so if you're uncertain but think you'll get the grades it might be better to start on the MMath.
Reply 4
And say if you did do a joint degree is a phd still on the table?

Quick Reply

Latest