The Student Room Group

Why do students complain about 'chavs' when...

...they behave just as bad as them? (if not worse!)

I don't mind them drinking or having several one night stands or even having parties but when it comes to the point where it's making the surrounding resident's lives a living nightmare is what I have a problem with. This is what I have to live with -

Shouting and screaming into the early morning waking all the local residents up (including elderly women and families with small children).

Littering kebab papers, leaflets, bottles, cups all over the streets.

Playing music loudly late into the night.

Swearing and talking about things such as rape in public places.

Vandalism i.e throwing food at people's houses, graffiti etc.

I see a lot of students online and in real life complaining about 'chavs' but I find it incredibly hypocritical when they behave just the same. They act as though they are entitled to behave this way without no repercussions. People often overlook this problem because 'they're students' and 'having a bit of fun' but if an estate kid did this everyone would be up in arms!

So what does the community of TSR think about this?

(I'll probably negged like crazy for this thread but I don't care...come at me haters!)

Scroll to see replies

Subjective morality... That, OR 4 liters of cider for under 8 quid will do that to you :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Probably because we only do it when extremely drunk, and so have no recollection of being antisocial the night before :biggrin:
Kind of clutching at straws here, can't think of much justification. (Although I'm not sure talking about rape or vandalism are general traits in drunk students, and those that do probably don't act high and mighty about chavs.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Not all students do the things complained of.

All chavs (properly so called) do do the things people complain of.
Reply 4
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent

All chavs (properly so called) do do the things people complain of.

Nonsense. I knew many chavs at school who weren't the stereotyped anti-social louts that people go on about.

Edit (why the negs? A lot of chavs at school weren't actually that bad people! Grow up)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Swanbow
Nonsense. I knew many chavs at school who weren't the stereotyped anti-social louts that people go on about.

If they weren't 'the stereotyped anti-social louts that people go on about', they were not chavs properly so called.
Reply 6
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
If they weren't 'the stereotyped anti-social louts that people go on about', they were not chavs properly so called.

They wore the tracksuits and sovereigns, they listened to the music and generally hanged around with other chavs. By all means these people were chavs.
yeah OP I understand what you're saying :smile:
Probably the same reason that a student comes onto a student forum to complain about students.
Reply 9
No, because chavs abuse people, mug people, and are just bullies in general.
Most students, although sometimes unruly, will not purposefully try to make people feel like ****.
Reply 10
Because they are classist and believe 'chavs' to be below them.
Original post by redferry

This.

But at the same time I think it's to do with the fact not all students are *******s. You have a lot of them who quite frankly should be shot, but you also have lots of them who don't bother anyone. On the other hand, chavs always bother people and cause problems. If they didn't I don't think it would be right to refer to them as a chav.

Chavs are below everyone.
But this also explains why students are often thought of so poorly in the local community. Locals see students as just privileged, non-hard forms of chavs.
Reply 14
Original post by Genocidal
This.

But at the same time I think it's to do with the fact not all students are *******s. You have a lot of them who quite frankly should be shot, but you also have lots of them who don't bother anyone. On the other hand, chavs always bother people and cause problems. If they didn't I don't think it would be right to refer to them as a chav.

Looks like you are classest and see 'chavs' as beneath you too.
Chavs is a classest term, don't try and excuse using it with foolish rhetoric. I would recommend reading the book Chavs by Owen Jones.
Reply 15
Original post by paddyman4
Chavs are below everyone.

I direct you to my previous comment.
Now I realise students are not a homogeneous group, but:
1 Points 4 and 5 I've never seen students do
2 Students don't tend to fight (physically), and especially don't tend to start fights with innocent bystanders.
3 Students tend to turn into good citizens. Chavs do not tend to.
(edited 11 years ago)
Chavs is a classest term, don't try and excuse using it with foolish rhetoric. I would recommend reading the book Chavs by Owen Jones.

Owen Jones is clueless about most things.

And I imagine his argument is that the working class are demonised as chavs.

No one her is saying that all working class people are chavs, which is what Owen Jones always bangs on about. I just think that anyone who fits the definition of a chav is scum.
Unlike chavs, a significant portion of the student demographic will actually contribute to society at some point in their lives.

Well that depends how you view a chav really. I completely disagree it's just a classist term, although it's used in such a manner.

I see it as a state of mind and a behavioural thing, not necessarily how you look and dress. Just as I don't see all people who wear designer clothing as snobs. I see them as people dressed in designer clothing. Only when they give me a reason to think of them as snobs through their behaviour will I do so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending