The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by orange'94
dual store colleagues
basically I told my store at the end of feb the weeks I was back for easter and last week I noticed I have NO hours for this week, I asked my dept and they said that there already on +11 hours, so I asked at other depts and no one has any overtime. So i went to HR and they said they will sort it, they never got back to me so I rang up almost every day and they kept saying there get back to me, I spoke to the HR manger and she said she will get back to me. However no one has and they keep fobbing me off , are they allowed to give me no hours?
help??? :smile:

hmmm, not sure, but I would have guessed that they should put you somewhere, seeing as it is a contractual obligation to work x number of hours (depending on your contract).
Original post by matt4504
Most people who use it will just be complaining.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Original post by annarchy.
My thoughts exactly :/

Original post by annarchy.
Tell Sainsbury's, good idea or not do you think?
Personally I can't imagine many people going out of their way to rate their service at sainsbury's.

Surprisingly, there have been quite a few respondents to the 'Tell Sainsbury's' at our store. There's a good mix of feedback and our store manager read out some of the best/worsts during the colleague meeting/huddle, it was a laugh listening to them.

Here's some of our reviews:

- Someone complained about some colleagues being too busy gossiping in one of the aisles
- Someone complained about the managers taking unnecessarily long in trying and get somebody to open a till - they said they were making a fuss over it but actually doing little to sort it out.
- Someone called the car washers in the car park a bunch of 'muggers' (they're not even sainsbury's colleagues)
- A complaint to Sainsburys about the lack of information about the ingredients used for some of the deli products at the counter, which the colleague could not help as the she could only read the information given to her.

- Best customer service was received during the morning period (by us grocery online colleagues, woop! :biggrin:)
- Worst customer service was typically received during the evenings and on the weekday & weekend afternoons/evenings from colleagues
- Generally, the store received some good feedback

Some more that I couldn't remember. Ask your managers to see the report printed out for the reviews of your own store, they can be quite entertaining and very useful.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Hustler-1337
Surprisingly, there have been quite a few respondents to the 'Tell Sainsbury's' at our store. There's a good mix of feedback and our store manager read out some of the best/worsts during the colleague meeting/huddle, it was a laugh listening to them.

Here's some of our reviews:

- Someone complained about some colleagues being too busy gossiping in one of the aisles
- Someone complained about the managers taking unnecessarily long in trying and get somebody to open a till - they said they were making a fuss over it but actually doing little to sort it out.
- Someone called the car washers in the car park a bunch of 'muggers' (they're not even sainsbury's colleagues)
- A complaint to Sainsburys about the lack of information about the ingredients used for some of the deli products at the counter, which the colleague could not help as the she could only read the information given to her.

- Best customer service was received during the morning period (by us grocery online colleagues, woop! :biggrin:)
- Worst customer service was typically received during the evenings and on the weekday & weekend afternoons/evenings from colleagues
- Generally, the store received some good feedback

Some more that I couldn't remember. Ask your managers to see the report printed out for the reviews of your own store, they can be quite entertaining and very useful.

hahah sounds funny tbh :P I've heard nothing about it since it was given to us last week to give out to people, a lot of people have just kind of pulled a face at it really. :L sounds like the people who complained were very overparticular!
Reply 5743
Original post by Add!ction
Ask someone in HR to help you, when I first got that sheet I had no idea what to do with it either, it's easy once you get the hang of it though :smile: Essentially, where there are hours on the sheet, those are the dates you are working, you write underneath how many hours of that day you want to book off.

Thank you, filled in the sheet now - do you know if they confirm with you if its been booked? Also would you get paid for overtime? On saturday the guy I work with asked if I was interested in doing overtime on Sunday and I said I wouldn't mind so don't know if I'm actually doing it or not :confused:
Original post by Hustler-1337
hmmm, not sure, but I would have guessed that they should put you somewhere, seeing as it is a contractual obligation to work x number of hours (depending on your contract).

Exactly what i thought , but then if they don't put me anywhere do I get in trouble for not working at all. I'm on a 12 hour contract, ive rang up everyday and just keep getting "we will sort it out and ring you back later" never get a call back :frown:. and I head back to uni in a few days so I have only got a few days to work it, Shall I contact my Uni store and tell them about it ? there going to ask anyway if i don't get any hours it will come up on there end wont it?
Reply 5745
Original post by elzginger
I'm 17 and work in the Kiosk, my manager said I can sell tobacco, but not alcohol.

This would be the correct lawful understanding of Think 25, but is not in line with what the company wants and your manager should be aware of this.

Obviously, for alcohol - the law is different; you have to be 18 to authorise the sale of alcohol.
Reply 5746
dual store colleagues
basically I told my store at the end of feb the weeks I was back for easter and last week I noticed I have NO hours for this week, I asked my dept and they said that there already on +11 hours, so I asked at other depts and no one has any overtime. So i went to HR and they said they will sort it, they never got back to me so I rang up almost every day and they kept saying there get back to me, I spoke to the HR manger and she said she will get back to me. However no one has and they keep fobbing me off , are they allowed to give me no hours?
help??? :smile:

No, the company is not allowed to do this - your dual store by accepting you agreed to your conditions. And if you're contracted for X amount of hours, then that's what you should be working, as a minimum.

Unless of course, you've agreed to authorised unpaid leave - which managers sometime offer when they are over-contracted.
Original post by bubelah
No, the company is not allowed to do this - your dual store by accepting you agreed to your conditions. And if you're contracted for X amount of hours, then that's what you should be working, as a minimum.

Unless of course, you've agreed to authorised unpaid leave - which managers sometime offer when they are over-contracted.

Thanks for clearing this up , I get on to them .. AGAIN, its annoying because I cant even find any overtime on any dept just to see me though. I think they think that if they keep inorneing me the week then it will be over and I no longer be there problem. nice to know I'm appreciated :frown: haha

Also when I changed to dual store (Nov 2012) was I suppose to receive a new contract ? all I got was a contractual changes form that simply said the hours and "16 hours to 12 hours - Dual store" and I had to beg and moan for a photocopy of that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5748
Thanks for clearing this up , I get on to them .. AGAIN, its annoying because I cant even find any overtime on any dept just to see me though. I think they think that if they keep inorneing me the week then it will be over and I no longer be there problem. nice to know I'm appreciated :frown: haha

Also when I changed to dual store (Nov 2012) was I suppose to receive a new contract ? all I got was a contractual changes form that simply said the hours and "16 hours to 12 hours - Dual store" and I had to beg and moan for a photocopy of that.

No, your original contract binds you throughout your time in the company - every colleague regardless of their grade, will sign the same contract [obviously with a different job title listed, dependent on what you're doing].

Contractual change forms are then used whenever your hours are altered. I would totally be in the office, and complaining to the HR manager's face, if my contracted hours were not being fulfilled. I'd at least want an expectations.

Through something called CHM, the company can take hours away from you if they're over contracted during certain parts of the day - but in order for them to do that, they must first have offered you an alternative, which you need to have rejected...but that's another story completely! :rolleyes:
I have my interview for Petrol Customer Service Assistant tonight. I'm a bit nervous, but it sounds okay from what I've read on this thread. It's been so helpful! :smile:

Original post by sali3
Thank you, filled in the sheet now - do you know if they confirm with you if its been booked? Also would you get paid for overtime? On saturday the guy I work with asked if I was interested in doing overtime on Sunday and I said I wouldn't mind so don't know if I'm actually doing it or not :confused:

They should get back to you, they're return the sheet with their decision on it. As for the overtime, check your schedule and if its not on their check with your line manager :smile:
Reply 5751
My colleague council rep attended a meeting and he asked about the sales for the bonus part and he was told that the sales figures hasn't been released yet and they won't be till may at the earliest
Original post by bubelah
No, your original contract binds you throughout your time in the company - every colleague regardless of their grade, will sign the same contract [obviously with a different job title listed, dependent on what you're doing].

Contractual change forms are then used whenever your hours are altered. I would totally be in the office, and complaining to the HR manager's face, if my contracted hours were not being fulfilled. I'd at least want an expectations.

Through something called CHM, the company can take hours away from you if they're over contracted during certain parts of the day - but in order for them to do that, they must first have offered you an alternative, which you need to have rejected...but that's another story completely! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your help :smile:, I keep trying to give you rep but it says i must rep other members because I keep giving it to you ha, your answers are too good.
I kicked off big time to the HR manger (again) and she went and got the online manger who just gave me some hours, its such a mess our dept with the manger leaving to be online lead and the ex trainee manger taking over all working at the same time.
All this hassle makes me look forward to going back to my other store were its all set in stone and know what till im on several weeks in advance ha.
So upon your return to work, you had an investigation for absence I'm presuming, it is normally carried out immediately after the return to work. Your manager, at this point due to process, decided to move the procedure onto a disciplinary hearing.

You will be invited to a meeting by letter and you must have 24 hours notice of this, the meeting must be held on a day you normally attend work and you may take along a representative if you wish. If you aren't in the union, another colleague can attend. You will be asked about the absence, and any other absences you may have had. The manager that conducts this, which will be a different manager, will then decide whether to issue you advice and counselling for sickness, as this is your first step on the process for sickness, or not based on the information provided. (There will also be a notetaker present).

If this does happen, you can appeal it by writing to the deputy store manager within seven days outlining the reasons why you think the decision was unfair.

However, for one period of absence you shouldn't have been invited to a disciplinary hearing. How long have you worked for the company?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5754
Original post by whizzer
My colleague council rep attended a meeting and he asked about the sales for the bonus part and he was told that the sales figures hasn't been released yet and they won't be till may at the earliest

The company met sales, even though it hasn't been "officially" announced yet - Justin announces full financial year details in a couple of weeks, I was told.
Reply 5755
How many "return to work" interviews have you had? If you've had 3, that means you've had 3 periods of absence - meaning you should get taken to a formal disciplinary.

If you've had one "return to work" interview, then your manager is completely in the wrong - if this is the case, then direct your manager to the company's Sickness Absence Policy and get them to cross reference that with the Absence and Disciplinary policy. Its stated quite clearly that you will only be taken to a disciplinary for absence, on your third absence.

To reiterate, the company's absence policy...

1 absence = no action taken [one return to work interview]
2 absences = advice and counselling [two return to work interviews]
3 absences = verbal warning [three return to work interviews]
4 absences = written warning [four return to work interviews]
5 absences = final written warning [five return to work interviews]
6 absences = dismissal [six return to work interviews]

Provided you followed the correct reporting procedure, you should be at stage one [if its your first period of absence]. Managers are not allowed to pick and choose - policy is policy.
Reply 5756
Thanks for all your help :smile:, I keep trying to give you rep but it says i must rep other members because I keep giving it to you ha, your answers are too good.
I kicked off big time to the HR manger (again) and she went and got the online manger who just gave me some hours, its such a mess our dept with the manger leaving to be online lead and the ex trainee manger taking over all working at the same time.
All this hassle makes me look forward to going back to my other store were its all set in stone and know what till im on several weeks in advance ha.

Haha, thanks! Glad that you got your hours!
Reply 5757
Original post by bubelah
The company met sales, even though it hasn't been "officially" announced yet - Justin announces full financial year details in a couple of weeks, I was told.

That's great thanks for the response so I. Take it we are getting the bonus then lol :smile:
How long on average does it take you guys to dress one aisle? I work in a fairly medium sized store and I would say it takes me 15 mins to properly dress an aisle. Just wondering whether this is a long time as I'm finding it difficult to dress my department in the evening after working meat + fresh rollers, milk, eggs, and FOA during my 5 hour shift. The dry department are making me feel a bit of a burden as they are picking it up for me.
Reply 5759
Half an hour to an hour depending on the aisle. But our store is a very big one.

Latest

Trending

Trending