The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I and a few of my friends attained 9/10 A*s in our GCSE exams several years ago. Although we did come from a school where academic achievement was highly prized, in no way did anyone ever presume to say that they hadn't worked hard. There were some exams for me such as English Literature where I concentrated hard in classes for two years and then ended up not doing as much revision as I had to do for maths and science, but I still had to work hard. I think anyone who says that and attains those grades is either a) a genius or b) lying. In 80% of those cases, I'd say b) is the best bet. I had to really work hard for my results, and whilst I overachieved in some things such as science because I had underestimated my ability, I had to do the necessary revision in order for it to happen.
I remember in A-level that some people in my sixth form used to deny doing any work and then end up with 100% UMS on results day, I personally stopped caring after the first year. But in all honesty people feel ashamed to say they revised, I guess being nerdy isn't cool :frown:
But I didn't revise for my GCSE exams and I got all A*/A grades. I've always found people who say they are revising 2 weeks for each exam at GCSE a bit of a joke- they really aren't hard to get A*/A in if you've listened in class (However, A-levels are a very different story). To answer your question, I guess some people just want to make it seem like they haven't revised to make themselves seem really clever? Or just an excuse as to why they got an A grade and not an A*? :dontknow:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Tabzqt
still not that much content tbh.
It's also probably easier for most people to remember historical figures and events than complex physics formulas or whatever.

When do you ever have to remember complex physics formulae?
Original post by Tabzqt
Some people actually are smart, and don't need to revise that much. Most exams (humanities) don't have that much content, so revising for 10 hours a day wouldn't help you a whole lot anyway. The key is to understand what to do in the exam.

From my experience there wasn't too much to revise for in the sciences apart from biology. You're essentially just writing logic as concisely as possible as opposed to writing essays.

OP - as others have said, they probably just have a natural grasp for academia and don't have to work as hard in comparison to their peers.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Gotzz
When do you ever have to remember complex physics formulae?

I don't know. I don't do any sciences. But I've heard there was more to revise in the sciences than the humanities (based on the size of my friend's textbooks and what they have told me).

And, for me anyway, it just seems inherently harder to revise a complex scientific theory or whatever than a historical figure or event.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by SexiestNameEver
Of course the title is a bit of an exaggeration but still.

People say they don't revise. Ever. And then on August the 23rd they get mostly A/A*'s (some full UMS marks).

And then they say "I don't know how I got that I didn't know anything."

No bitch, you revised. You revised to your heart's ****ing content.

Why do people do this? It pisses me off. I'm sorry for the exaggeration and swearing but this ALWAYS happens. Just say you revised. What are you gonna lose?

Edit: Note I said people who claim they do not revise AT ALL, not "a bit". And then they get A/A*'s and claim they didn't understand anything. Please.

I didn't get 10 A*s at GCSE, but my grades were still good: 3 A*s, 7 As, 2 Bs. And I really didn't revise much at all - out of laziness and other circumstances, all I did was flick through the textbook half an hour before one or two of the exams. I think for some people, the lessons and homework are genuinely enough to do well, they don't need to revise.

Having said that, I would never tell people that on results day. It would sound so mean! And I wouldn't do that thing where people say "Gosh, I just have no idea how I passed, I understood NOTHING all year!". Clearly a lie...

It's probably just as irritating as those people who go "OMGAAAD!!1! I got an A* wooooh! What about you, what did you get? C? Babe, that is SOOO good! I don't even know how I got an A* you're so much cleverer than me!!1". :unimpressed: That is exactly why I never open my results with everyone there in the exam hall.
(edited 11 years ago)
i only revised a little for my GCSEs... hardly at all for some of them, most of it the night/morning before. i got all A*/A... then failed epically when i used the same technique at A-Levels.
Reply 28
People in my school do this and it bloody irritates me.
Original post by Bellissima
i only revised a little for my GCSEs... hardly at all for some of them, most of it the night/morning before. i got all A*/A... then failed epically when i used the same technique at A-Levels.

Yeah I guess, it catches up with you sooner :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by Tabzqt
Not really. Our course is British history 1951-2007, and although that is a fairly long period, all you need to do is remember key events/statements/continuity/changes. It would be much harder if you had to remember every detail, but that is never expected of you.

Try IB Higher history sometime :tongue:.
I understand exactly what you mean. They always pretend and lie about not revising a single bit. Some reasons could be:

1.) They say they don't revise just in case they mess up and can use that as a back up. *gets a D* "Yeah, told you I didn't revise".

2.) Some others who claim to not revise and get As/A*s want to come off as "cool" or "Smart" or the talk of the school.. "Look, that was the guy/girl who didn't revise but got all A*s, he/she is sooo cool".

3.) Some others that claim not to revise just say so to keep their friends off guard and do better. "If Michael doesn't revise and gets A*s, I don't need to revise" *And fails* *Michael 10 A*s*.

Personally, I would never lie about my revision. If I did revise I ****load, then I'd let my friend(s) know if they ask. There is no point lying about revision. What benefit do you get? It is great to hear how a person puts in so much effort to achieve amazing grades rather than a story of one who doesn't "revise at all". :smile:
they probably dont revise?
Original post by Tabzqt
It's also probably easier for most people to remember historical figures and events than complex physics formulas or whatever.

I disagree.
If you understand maths and physics you don't have to remember anything. I'm studying physics at uni and have never memorized a single formula in my life.

Although I would fail miserably at humanities because of this :tongue:
Original post by Tabzqt

i really disagree with this, i never even did history for gcse, but to compare it to physics gcse, where they give you the formulas in the test?
Reply 35
Original post by Tufto
Try IB Higher history sometime :tongue:.

lol. is it really as hard as everyone makes out?
you're doing it wrong. Hard work does not equal high grades. I barely revised for my final maths A level paper and I got full marks on it; it's how you revise and how much you understand that counts.
A similar thing occurs at AS level. When I mentioned I got all As for my Jan exams people felt that their Bs and Cs were higher than mine because they didn't revise because they'd scored hypothetical 100 UMS.
Original post by blueberryyums
I understand exactly what you mean. They always pretend and lie about not revising a single bit. Some reasons could be:

1.) They say they don't revise just in case they mess up and can use that as a back up. *gets a D* "Yeah, told you I didn't revise".

2.) Some others who claim to not revise and get As/A*s want to come off as "cool" or "Smart" or the talk of the school.. "Look, that was the guy/girl who didn't revise but got all A*s, he/she is sooo cool".

3.) Some others that claim not to revise just say so to keep their friends off guard and do better. "If Michael doesn't revise and gets A*s, I don't need to revise" *And fails* *Michael 10 A*s*.

Personally, I would never lie about my revision. If I did revise I ****load, then I'd let my friend(s) know if they ask. There is no point lying about revision. What benefit do you get? It is great to hear how a person puts in so much effort to achieve amazing grades rather than a story of one who doesn't "revise at all". :smile:

I would hate to be enemies with this person if that's what they do to their friends!
What is so shameful about revising? Revising makes me happy and gives me a sense of satisfaction because I know my future depends on it.

Latest