The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think I got 59-65/75 (but more likely the lower end of that). What grade/UMS will that most likely be?
Reply 541
Original post by ChelseaSam
Mine was rather messy too! I g^-1 'd both sides to make f(x) = g^-1(16) = 4 then saw from the graph that when f(x) = 4... x =6 and I then thought that was the end of the question so moved on!

haha yeah thats a really good move, I was going to do that as we learnt that in FP1, but I made equations in f(x) which I just subbed in instead.
Reply 542
Can someone explain how the UMS works. Does it take into account questions that you got right but others found difficult? I got nearly everything right except the graphs in question 2, lost around 5 marks there all careless mistakes :mad:
Reply 543
The marks seem to be a fair bit lower on average, I reckon I got about 15 less than my usual 70-75 = predictions for an A? Obviously difficult to say but going on the various forums, I would say low 50's for an A, I would go 52.
Original post by dannywhite
I can't imagine me getting much higher than 30/75 in this :frown: I flunked the first question, dammit! I only got 2 and 4 wholly correct, with bits and bobs elsewhere...

Fair enough it was all on-syllabus but it was such paradigm shift from the norm, which baffled me during the exam!:frown:

anyone wanna stab at what 30 would be? guessing its an E or U. (I was predicted an A and revised accordingly, fair point to those who say non-lateral thinkers don't deserve it but my argument is that at A-level its more about knowing the content - University is for abstract application etc. - the questions were entirely unapproachable if you didnt get the first marks!)

Same I reckon I've only got about 30, hopefully they'll be lenient with marking and give us loads of method marks haha On the trig one, I didn't have a clue, so just wrote down all the trig identities that I could remember!! haha
Looking at the paper back though, and with a bit more thought I think I could have answered alot more, but after the third question it really threw me and then I started panicking more and more, which threw me for the other questions. Time was a big issue aswell!
Fingers crossed 30 is like a D atleast, wishful thinking but hey ho. Just gonna work extra hard for C4 now! :smile:
Reply 545
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
Anyone else think Arsey is being generous with the boundaries? I think it will be more like 65 for 90 and 55 for an A.

Interesting boundaries, yours would be

75 = 100
65 = 90
55 = 80
45 = 70
35 = 60
25 = 50
15 = 40
5 = 30
0 = 25

25 UMS for scoring zero, nice! :rolleyes:
Reply 546
Original post by Qmakz
Can somebody please answer this, on the graphs, for question 2, I drew them all perfectly, showing the assymptotes etc, but for the first two, I said the assymptotes were the y axis, i didnt say x=0 will i lose 2 marks?

I would probably say you will, it did say they wanted they equation, I suppose it depends on how lenient they are - personally I would count it as no marks gained, otherwise you run the risk of thinking you have higher marks then you actually did get. I have done that before, it only made me disappointed.
Reply 547
Original post by Arsey

75 = 100
65 = 90
55 = 80
45 = 70
35 = 60
25 = 50
15 = 40
5 = 30
0 = 25

In Q7 if I worked equations of both lines by getting their slopes, then got thier intersection subbed it, then relalized that I should sub each equation, so I attempted first one but time was over, would I get any marks for that? I still had the equation of the x-2 line subbed in clearly in g(x)

Thank you.
Reply 548
Original post by Benn_95
I would probably say you will, it did say they wanted they equation, I suppose it depends on how lenient they are - personally I would count it as no marks gained, otherwise you run the risk of thinking you have higher marks then you actually did get. I have done that before, it only made me disappointed.

Yeah i'm really annoyed about it because, it doesn't really make a difference, I clearly showed I know what the graph looks like and where the assymptote is.

And for the last one I did say x=4, so I dont know I hope they can see that i realise its x=0 for the first 2 but y axis just seemed more convenient to me at the time.
Reply 549
Original post by Qmakz
Yeah i'm really annoyed about it because, it doesn't really make a difference, I clearly showed I know what the graph looks like and where the assymptote is.

And for the last one I did say x=4, so I dont know I hope they can see that i realise its x=0 for the first 2 but y axis just seemed more convenient to me at the time.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh don exactly the same just realised - what was I thinking? moment of panic at the part of the exam when I was still comfortable!
Reply 550
Original post by Arsey

75 = 100
65 = 90
55 = 80
45 = 70
35 = 60
25 = 50
15 = 40
5 = 30
0 = 25

What mark /75 is your prediction for C, 60ums and for D, 50 ums Arsey?

cheers,
Reply 551
Arsey, in your Solutions your final answer to Q6a is wrong, it gives the domain of x values as -1<x<2 which means 5 cannot be one of the answers at the end and the only answer is 7/5
Reply 552
Hi Arsey, I appreciate all the hard work you've put in over the years producing solutions for those curious to know the answers to the papers they sat. I thank you very much for everything you've done, and I feel it quite wrong and asking too much to ask whether solutions for S3 could be put up? I know that you don't favour status modules and hence decided to stop doing them (apart from S1), but like you did for M3, would it be possible if you somehow got "one of your team" to post S3 solutions for those who sat it yesterday? Even if you can't, I don't mind at all because you're doing all this as a favour for all of us and you're not getting anything back from us, so I feel bad. Anyway please let me know if you will be posting S3 solutions, but if you can't, don't worry! What you're currently doing is more than what is required and I thank you so much for it! Thanks again, Arsey!

By the way, I'm predicted an A* in maths and I got over 71/75 raw marks in both C1 and C2, but I think I only got about 56-60 marks on this C3 paper despite getting perfect (or near perfect) scores in past papers, but thankfully my first choice want an A in maths. However, my maths and further maths teachers recognised me as one of the most able students in the cohort at maths and hence rewarded me along with a couple of other students before this exam with a certificate. This exam went appallingly bad so I really don't know what to do now (since I was really going for the A* and I was reduced to tears when there was a minute left of the exam due to the shock, and that's never happened to me before). I now know that if I get anything below an A in this exam, my A* is gone. Do you think that your boundaries are realistic for this paper? If so, then I hope C4 goes well!

Anyway thank you for everything Arsey, and all the best!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 553
I stupidly wrote down 24 instead of 25 for R in question 8 yet all my method for each part of the question (inducing working out R) was correct, how many marks do you think I'll drop? Hopefully only answer marks or maybe not as error carried forward?
Original post by Arsey

75 = 100
65 = 90
55 = 80
45 = 70
35 = 60
25 = 50
15 = 40
5 = 30
0 = 25

Exactly! People who are clueless about how boundaries work should just stop posting what they think because their opinion is worthless.

I mean seriously we're supposed to be mathematicians here...

Original post by Jake976
I stupidly wrote down 24 instead of 25 for R in question 8 yet all my method for each part of the question (inducing working out R) was correct, how many marks do you think I'll drop? Hopefully only answer marks or maybe not as error carried forward?

From personal experience I'd say you'd only drop the answer marks - but i'm not sure. Youd probably have to check the past mark schemes to see how it's awarded on questions like this.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Its not about wether you found it "hard" or not, its about the nation-wide performance that will determine the grade boundaries. Considering that there have been almost 15000 likes on the facebook complaints page, I believe it will be slightly less than 58 for an A. Maybe around 54 or even lower.

I wouldn't keep my hopes up if I were you. Knowing Edexcel, the boundary for an A may well be 60+! Just make sure you smash C4 and you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by Yoyo94
Hi Arsey, do you think that your boundaries are realistic for this paper?

No, he's just trolling us all with what he believes to unrealistic boundaries :rolleyes:
Reply 557
Original post by Arsey

Couple of things,
Like most people, if you only expanded the cos/sin in q4, would u get any marks?
also, again like most people, if you ignored the range on the ln q and put 2 solutionss, would you lose any marks.
Finally, for the gfx, if you missed the second solution how many marks do you reckon would lose?
Reply 558
Original post by The Polymath
No, he's just trolling us all with what he believes to unrealistic boundaries :rolleyes:

Haha I would never believe he would do such a thing! I just wanted reassurance. Perhaps it was a dumb question to ask but whatever :tongue:
Original post by Arsey
Here are my solutions

EDIT - I have now uploaded my solutions to the first post (at the bottom). Too much traffic on my dropbox link - ha

I think the link has been posted on several social media sites, so it was hammered.

EDIT - BOUNDARIES

I have absolutely no idea about the boundaries but my money would be on around 50-52 for an A; 56 -59 for 90 and 62 - 66 for 100ums

This was a very tricky paper. I appreciate there are a lot of upset and angry feelings floating around. However, I have read an awful lot of misinformed and inaccurate comments on social media sites. You can take or leave the following comments but they are my opinions.

There was nothing on this paper that isn't on current specification. Some questions required skills that are considered pre-requisite knowledge from Core 1/2 and GCSE Mathematics. Knowledge of GCSE topics such as Ratio, Similar triangles, bounds, basic trigonometry facts is expected knowledge and does not need to be listed on the specification for Core 3.

The final question isn't a Mechanics question. I would agree that the context of the question was in a Mechanics style but it was irrelevant as to what needed to be done to answer the question. The whole context was completely pointless.

The fact that it appears that a few centres have taken the original paper is really irrelevant to those who took the replaced paper. Their results will have no impact what-so-ever on the grade boundaries for the replaced paper. Also, it really isn't Edexcel's fault that some centres made this error. I personally read the instructions that they sent out weeks ago, so really some examination officers need to be made accountable for their error.

I have read comments saying that their teachers couldn't even do the paper, or that teachers took 3 hours to do it. I am sorry but a teacher should not be teaching students A-Level Mathematics if they could not answer every question correctly (barring silly errors) within the time. I completed the paper within 40min. That said, I did originally miss the second solution to the final functions question, but that was rather sneaky.

This paper was not written at the last minute, it is very likely it was written at the same time as the original paper by the same examiner and would have probably been used next year. That said, Edexcel state that they aim for their papers to be of comparable difficulty and alter the grade boundaries accounts for slight differences. I am very interested to see the original paper, I would be staggered if it is anywhere near as hard. I do think Edexcel need to work much harder to ensure that their papers are of comparable difficulty. There has been quite a significant difference in the difficulty of some of the UK and non-UK papers. Had UK candidates took the international M2 paper, I do think there would have been a huge number of complaints.

The best piece of advice I can give is to try to put it out of your mind; the grade boundaries will be really low and hopefully this means that the Core 4 paper will be a lot nicer. Put your energy into smashing Core 4.

Paper analysis.

Q1. Reasonable algebraic division. Similar has been asked before.

Q2. Straight forward sketching and transforming graphs. Harder questions have been asked before.'

Q3. Okay part (a) is pretty hard. The first step is reasonable obvious and you really should know that sin x = cos (90 - x) as it is a pretty basic trig fact taught at GCSE and in Core 2. That said part (a) will be an epic bloodbath.

Part b) was fairly easy; similar and harder questions have been asked.

(at most this qu ought to be 3 marks lost)

Q4. Part a) is fairly straight forward. Very standard. Part b) was a little tricky and part c) is on almost every single paper, gift marks.

Q5. a) and b) are pretty reasonable c) is pretty hard.

Q6. a) isn't any harder than a C2 logs question (although, I have just noticed 5 is outside the data range!)

b) is hard but a very similar question was asked on one of the recent papers.

Q7. a) and c) are very easy. Similar questions have been asked to part b) on recent papers. I appreciate that the fact 5 wasn't marked would have caused confusion. However, now you know it is 5 you ought to accept that it really isn't that hard to see why.
d) is very hard and the second solution is rather sneaky.

Q8. If you ignore the pointless confusing context, this question isn't too bad, certainly harder than normal mind. It was very sneaky that they swapped Sin and Cos around originally but I warn my students to always check for this. It is why I always write out the complete expression for the addition rule to compare.

Understanding that you need to put the max value on the bottom to get the min V is GCSE bounds and the exact same thing was on the Jan 13 paper.

c) and d) are quite confusing but really not that difficult.

It is fairly obvious given the reaction to the paper that the average mark is going to be very low. The lowest ever boundary for an A on the current spec papers was 46/75 for an A and 60/75 for 100ums. I wouldn't be surprised if this was another sub 50 for an A paper.

At the other end it has been as low as 21/75 for an E. 25 should be enough for an E on this paper, there were 25 reasonably straightforward marks.

I will sort out some solutions to the international paper tomorrow if I have time.

I am not going to be around for very long, I am pretty tired. So don't get too stressed if I don't answer your questions tonight or miss them in what I expect to be a big thread.

Remember, no one knows what the boundaries will be.

I cannot tell you how many marks would this be worth etc a lot of the time because most of the awkward questions will depend on the MS

There really are not as many commonly called ecf marks as you would think. You cannot think 1 error means 1 mark lost, it is rarely that simple.

Finally if you are taking C4, take the time to read through some of my past C4 threads, pre-exam, post exam. There will be some good tips you pick up and you can learn from the errors others made.

Can i please how many UMS will get you grade C overall in A level maths after this horrible paper ?

Latest

Trending

Trending