The Student Room Group

Chances of a mature student?

Hey guys, I'm looking for a no BS opinion on what my chances are for being accepted for a BA(Hons) in architecture.

I'm 30 and and English man living in Canada but looking to move home. I've spent 13 years in an unfulfilling role as an aircraft tech, I hate my job so I moved to Canada with it to see if the change would help, didn't. It's time to make a change and after thinking along time this is what I should have been doing all along.

Negatives: I gained a couple of A's, mainly B's then a couple of C's at GCSE but I have no A levels. I'm not an artist by any means but I can draw functionally to get my ideas across. I'm reasonable with a PC but have never used CAD, after 13years working on aircraft structures model making wouldn't be an issues but obviously I can't just make everything.

Positives: Reading technical drawing, liaising with engineers and planing departments are my bread and butter. I have modern apprenticeships, NVQ's and other various qualifications in aviation.

Basically my idea is to present a portfolio to Uni's and see what happens unless I'm told on here that I'm kidding myself, I 100% need A level, strong Art background etc..... I know we're in the age of "you can do anything", and "your never too old", but back in the real world I'll be nearly 40 by the time I qualify, am I deluding myself?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I started undergrad at 32 and have just qualified at 40 so you are not necessarily deluding yourself. It will cost you a lot of money and is really tough on your personal life to do Part 2 / 3 as a mature student, so you need to give this appropriate consideration. The absence of A levels may be an issue - I think you are doing the right thing by contacting the schools directly (before submitting a portfolio) and find out 'in principle' their stance on applicants like you. That way you can then tailor your portfolio to the schools you are likely to have a fighting chance of getting in to.

You will need to show your creativity and artist ability so don't underestimate this - and whilst your experience will be useful in the long run, it won't probably make much odds at Part 1 stage.

Above all you need to be comfortable with the level of debt you will incur on the course and living expenses for the period you are studying (4 / 5 years) and the fact that to get Part 3 is heavily dependent on getting a job that gives your sufficient responsibility to be running projects quite quickly. I hadn't realised how vulnerable you are once you have Part 2 if you can't find a job quickly - you need to work to get Part 3 and you need to get the right experience. Your fate is heavily in the employers hands and so you may end up working for very little money just to get fully qualified. And even when qualified, you're looking at maybe £30K or so as a salary, which imho is pretty meagre when you think about how long and how much you've sacrificed to get to that position.

I was fortunate to have done a very highly paid job prior to changing to architecture, so that has seen me through. I've also been very lucky with the support I've received personally from family and friends.
Reply 2
Thanks for the response!

I've tried settling down and working for the money but I can't do it anymore so it's time to chase passion over practicality. I actually get more than 30k at moment but I don't fancy grinding it out for the next 35years. I'm single with no dependant's, and I have some equity in the house I plan to sell so it feels like now or never.
I'd say I'm creative rather than artistic, I like to solve problems with beautiful solutions. I'm a little worried I might be too practical though. A dovetail joint, or some weatherd limestone does more for me than an Andy Worhol
Can I ask you what background you transitioned from?
Did you find age to be a positive or negative aspect when you were looking for work experience?
Most importantly though, if your situation now was exactly the same would you do it again?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by pac536
Thanks for the response!

I've tried settling down and working for the money but I can't do it anymore so it's time to chase passion over practicality. I actually get more than 30k at moment but I don't fancy grinding it out for the next 35years. I'm single with no dependant's and I have some equity in the house I plan to sell so it feels like now or never.
I'd say I'm creative rather than artistic, I like to solve problems with beautiful solutions. I'm a little worried I might be to practical though. A dovetail joint or some weathers limestone does more for me than an Andy Worhol
Can I ask you what background you transitioned from?
did you find age to be a positive or negative aspect when you were looking for work experience?
most importantly though, if your situation now was exactly the same would you do it again?

I was in investment banking. I think it was generally a positive aspect, but I know there have been other mature students on the course for whom that wasn't the case. I think the thing is you need to get into the early 20s mindset - I think some mature students come to the course thinking they know more owing to their age - you really need to make sure you are really open and receptive to the process and learn from your peers as much as they learn from you. Above all, you don't want to create a wall between you and the younger students, if only from a social perspective.

Would I do it again - yes, probably. The money (or absence of) is annoying as its tough working so hard and yet not being able to provide for my family. That said, when i did Part 1 I didn't have a family so you're in a good position from that front. Starting Part 1 with a family I think is really tough, so your absence of commitments will be a huge advantage - giving you time to really consecrate your time to your work.

I think that creative is good - there are plenty of schools which value this much more highly than 'arty'. It is worth spending some time improving your sketching if you can, just as a quick way to communicate ideas, maybe learn an easy 3d tool like SketchUp, but above all, spend time figuring out where you stand in relation to architecture and what type of work you want to be producing in 10 years time. Don't worry - this will change umpteen times over the next 10 years, but its good to know what you like and what you don't like and why - this will inform and direct your learning and designing.
Reply 4
Thanks so much for your perspective. You've given me a lot to think about, but it'll also great hearing from somebody who was in almost the same situation that succeeded.
Looking back do you now see any related fields that you would have preferred or are you happy with your choice?
Reply 5
Original post by pac536
Thanks so much for your perspective. You've given me a lot to think about, but it'll also great hearing from somebody who was in almost the same situation that succeeded.
Looking back do you now see any related fields that you would have preferred or are you happy with your choice?

Its hard to say - I went with what I was most interested in, and I don't know what else I could do. Its not by any means a panacea, a lot of the work is pretty tedious, but this is the case with most jobs.
Not to be sounding negative but most mature students don't finish their architectural studies and tend to drop out at part 1 stage.
Most end up having difficulty on the course because the are set in 'their ways', or other commiments like family, or financial etc.

You know the saying, its harder to teach old dogs new tricks.
When you're older you are more likely to have a set mind set of what architecture, or a building should be. I've seen mature students struggle with this, unless they are from an arts background. For this reason, if you do look at going into architecture pick a school, or design unit that isn't conceptual and arty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending