The Student Room Group

Are courses not provided by Harris Manchester unlikely to take mature students?

Cambridge has three mature colleges, providing almost all the courses. I read online that mature students applying to mature colleges have a better chance to at least get an interview(although Cambridge interviews more students than Oxford for 18-year-olds as well). I heard mature college tutors have a good understanding of mature students' circumstances as well, obviously.

On the other hand, Oxford only has Harris Manchester College and provides only 13 courses. Does this mean Oxford is less willing to accept mature students to courses not provided by Harris Manchester College?

I'd much prefer Oxford, but because of this, I'm wondering if I should apply to Cambridge instead.
Original post by Anonymous
Cambridge has three mature colleges, providing almost all the courses. I read online that mature students applying to mature colleges have a better chance to at least get an interview(although Cambridge interviews more students than Oxford for 18-year-olds as well). I heard mature college tutors have a good understanding of mature students' circumstances as well, obviously.

On the other hand, Oxford only has Harris Manchester College and provides only 13 courses. Does this mean Oxford is less willing to accept mature students to courses not provided by Harris Manchester College?

I'd much prefer Oxford, but because of this, I'm wondering if I should apply to Cambridge instead.

It probably just means Oxford has a higher proportion of mature students in all-age Colleges. There are plenty of mature students at Cam who are in all-age Colleges as well, but maybe more at Ox.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
It probably just means Oxford has a higher proportion of mature students in all-age Colleges. There are plenty of mature students at Cam who are in all-age Colleges as well, but maybe more at Ox.

Cambridge website says there are almost 600 mature students in undergrad. The number of undergraduate students in three mature colleges is around 450, so I guess the rest 150 are in all-age colleges. Assuming they're spread across 28 colleges equally, there are around 5 mature students in each all-age college.

On the other hand, I couldn't find statistics about the number of mature students studying at Oxford for the undergraduate degree. Harris Manchester College has around 100 undergrads.

Assuming Oxford has a similar number of mature students in undergrad courses, 500 are spread across 42 colleges. That makes around 12 mature students per all-age college. Does anybody know if this is the case?
I think mature undergraduates are pretty spread out across colleges/ PPHs at Oxford. I'm not sure what percentage of mature undergraduates are at HMC, but it's certainly not all of them.

Don't be discouraged from applying to Oxford if they offer the course you want. At the end of the day, you are applying to the course and not the university. Also I think departments and colleges both make decisions about admissions, so they will find a space for you on the course somewhere if they want to (and if not then there are plenty of other great unis to go to).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending