The Student Room Group

Mature student Aged 55 !! ......

Anyone here taking Fine Arts degree? It would be great to chat to fellow mature students, even if studying something different. Looking at the other threads, I feel like I'm a proper 'mature' student !:grin:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
I'm not quite your age (I'm 39), but definitely a bit older than many of the mature students here. I'm currently doing an Access to HE Art and Design course, heading off to do a Game Design degree next year. It's pretty different to Fine Art, but we're both artists, so there's that. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Ktrenal
I'm not quite your age (I'm 39), but definitely a bit older than many of the mature students here. I'm currently doing an Access to HE Art and Design course, heading off to do a Game Design degree next year. It's pretty different to Fine Art, but we're both artists, so there's that. :smile:

Hey, nice to meet you ! :five: Game design sounds interesting for sure. How are you finding the Access course? I was working up until December last year and went to a few open days at the local Universities and decided I wanted to study from Sept. Mainly practice Art at home now I'm not working, trying to build up some ideas before September arrives :smile:
Reply 3
I'm 50, and I'm hoping to take a (temporary? permanent?) break from my career later this year to do a Masters in US history. My application only went in a couple of weeks ago so I'm still waiting to hear.

A little apprehensive about being 25+ years older than the other students (and some of the professors), but perhaps it will be good for this cynical, world-weary middle-aged grump to be exposed to some woke, youthful, bright-eyed idealism.
Reply 4
Hey JayZed, its great to hear you signing up too !! I know I will probably be older than most of the cohort but to me its just a number and my moto is, 'you're never too old to learn something new', so go for it ! And don't forget, you will bring your years of learning about the 'real world' which most of the students haven't had the chance to experience ! :smile:
My husband is 46 in the middle of a 3D Game Art degree. So not quite the same but still art based.

I'm 39 but I'm not art based, sorry. Classical Studies here.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
My husband is 46 in the middle of a 3D Game Art degree. So not quite the same but still art based.

I'm 39 but I'm not art based, sorry. Classical Studies here.

That's good to know, you're both studying. No need to apologise. I think it will be overwhelming to begin with when I start but I'm going to the offer holders open day soon, so I will get to meet the lecturers and fellow students on my course. I know a few friends who have 'gone back to school' and learnt new skills and they all say they wished they'd done it sooner. Good luck with your studies.:smile:
Original post by JNA01
Anyone here taking Fine Arts degree? It would be great to chat to fellow mature students, even if studying something different. Looking at the other threads, I feel like I'm a proper 'mature' student !:grin:

Hi, I have just had an offer from Uni, to do a BA (Hons)degree in Fine Art (with integrated foundation year) ..and I am 68!!!! Mature? Yes, but so young in spirit and creativity! I
Reply 8
Original post by Cathy Hunter
Hi, I have just had an offer from Uni, to do a BA (Hons)degree in Fine Art (with integrated foundation year) ..and I am 68!!!! Mature? Yes, but so young in spirit and creativity! I

Thats awesome news!!! Well done !!. It's good to know I'm not alone and makes me believe age is just a number 😊
Reply 9
Finished my degree last year at the age of 41. Full time degree and full time job was a killer, but it was overall amazing! Loved it so much that on September I am starting again!
Reply 10
Original post by AdaE
Finished my degree last year at the age of 41. Full time degree and full time job was a killer, but it was overall amazing! Loved it so much that on September I am starting again!

That is amazing 👏 couldn't have been easy. I Hope I can see it through like you, ready as I'll ever be.🤞

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending