The Student Room Group

Which supermarkets do you avoid?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ocado (too expensive) & lidl (smells in there ... :unimpressed: )
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Miracle Day
ASDA. I find their slogan of a girl tapping her ass, saying "That's ASDA price" as extremely sexist.

Thanks for saying that, you're right - it's a classic piece of reactionary 1970s-style television.

I don't like Walmart in the States and as they own Asda, that's another reason not to buy from them - they pretty much define corporate ruthlessness and indifference to the well being of their employees. Plus a lot of the food is pretty mediocre.

I know what people mean about Tesco, the real issue I have with them is how substandard a lot of their stuff is for the price - some of their vegetables and salad items are just awful. The Finest range is to be avoided generally.
Original post by andie_os
ocado (too expensive) & lidl (smells in there ... :unimpressed: )

What does it smell of? :rolleyes:
Probably ASDA, purely for the fact that my experiences of it have been on weekends, where people seem to just float about at 2mph right in front of whatever you want to get. There's taking life at a steady pace, and there's ASDA Saturday morning shopping.
Reply 24
Original post by Fullofsurprises
What does it smell of? :rolleyes:

i don't know... like.. kinda like. raw egg and mashed mushroom and beans.... NOT nice as you can probably imagine! :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Pro Crastination
Probably ASDA, purely for the fact that my experiences of it have been on weekends, where people seem to just float about at 2mph right in front of whatever you want to get. There's taking life at a steady pace, and there's ASDA Saturday morning shopping.

hahahaha! so true so true!
Original post by andie_os
i don't know... like.. kinda like. raw egg and mashed mushroom and beans.... NOT nice as you can probably imagine! :smile:

Euwww. I wonder if they add it, like those bread smells some chains add to their stores??
Reply 27
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Euwww. I wonder if they add it, like those bread smells some chains add to their stores??

oh. i pray they don't! i still wonder even to this day why and HOW they still get customers.. hmmm..
Reply 28
[video="youtube;Kg7-RPLB5LU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg7-RPLB5LU[/video]
Reply 29
Sainsbury's. They sacked my best mate's boyfriend with no warning for what we believe is an invented incident and now he tags along every time I see her :frown:

And they're expensive and I think brand match is a random number generator.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 30
When I'm in England I normally shop either at a M&S, Waitrose or Sainsbury's but I don't avoid any stores other than Lidl, Aldi and Iceland...... find it to be full of chavs, benefit scroungers and the usual under-class plebs plus their products are pure crap too.
Co Op. It's SO expensive and the whole vibe in there is just... depressing.
Original post by Alfissti
When I'm in England I normally shop either at a M&S, Waitrose or Sainsbury's but I don't avoid any stores other than Lidl, Aldi and Iceland...... find it to be full of chavs, benefit scroungers and the usual under-class plebs plus their products are pure crap too.

I go to lidl and Iceland and I am neither a "chav or benefit scrounger" nor "an underclass pleb". Right now when people are struggling to make ends meet and heat their homes for winter we cannot all choose to go to Waitrose and M&S who charge a fortune for the same stuff found elsewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Alfissti

Try Iceland, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Reply 34
Waitrose. FULL of themselves. wastemans. Love Tesco's though.
Reply 35
Luckily I don't live anywhere near an Asda, Iceland or Lidl. :u:
Original post by amyshamblesxx
Co Op. It's SO expensive and the whole vibe in there is just... depressing.

I know. :rolleyes: It's a shame, because politically I feel I should seek them out to shop in, but they are generally disappointing, although their cheese is OK-ish. It's a pity. :sad:

It's worth mentioning that Waitrose is of course (as part of the John Lewis group) a worker-owned business, so it is politically sound. I know from having worked there that they are also good employers, unlike some of the supermarkets and not everything in them is expensive - they have some good bargains at times.
Reply 37
Definitely Asda, there isn't even one local to me but I still hate it
Waitrose and M&S, because they're way too overpriced.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 39
Avoid Waitrose and M&S because I'm not posh/rich enough. (Also, Waitrose doesn't really exist up here)
Avoid Morrisons because I've never found that they have good customer service.

I've never even head of Budgens, Filco, Heron, Mace, Nisa-Today's or Whole Food Market

Quick Reply

Latest