The Student Room Group

Some of the rules on this forum...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Sir Killalot
The thing that annoys me the most is when you get banned from a particular thread without being given a reason!
It's happened numerous times when tbh I haven't even said anything to offend anyone.

I can guarantee that you have never been "banned" from a thread.

What probably happened is the thread, or part of it, was removed from the public site meaning you (and all other members besides moderators) can't see the removed content.

It may be possible to prevent members from accessing specific forums, at least for a set amount of time, but such action is very, very rare. But we don't (and can't) ban people from threads.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by River85

What probably happened is the thread, or part of it, was removed from the public site meaning you (and all other members besides moderators) can't see the removed content.

It may be possible to prevent members from accessing specific forums, at least for a set amount of time, but such action is very, very rare. But we don't (and can't) ban people from threads.

^ And normal moderators if it's in H&R/MUN :smile:
They give me blue cards every two seconds for stupid reasons
Original post by Katie_p
Thanks for a pretty detailed response. I understand a bit better why it happens so much in discussions about rape, but I still think I've seen individual comments being highlighted as off-topic, when they are pretty relevant (and also not victim-blaming). I also think it would be helpful when mods post a general reminder after deleting comments to maybe indicate that they've been deleted? Because if that's where I've got the impression the rules are really strict and anything can be construed as off-topic, I imagine plenty of others have too.

I also think it's often the case that people have contributed something very useful to the discussion, but not particularly useful to the OP. If the thread has gradually gone off-tangent, then sure, a polite reminder is probably pretty helpful, since people can take the debate elsewhere. But I've also seen a lot of OPs blindly refusing to listen to certain points, or accept them as relevant to the discussion, when they really are. To be honest, I'm not sure I've seen many mods backing them up, but it's another situation where I've often wanted to make my point, but as the OP obviously doesn't want to hear it, I don't because I might be breaking the rules.

I think overall you've settled my concerns anyway, so thanks :smile:

No problem :smile: In some cases, then borderline or acceptable posts will get binned as well, however in cases where I personally have done this, it has been because they have been part of a conversation which needs removing, and wouldn't have made sense on their own. When deleting comments, I aim to make a post, usually in the theme saying to keep things on topic / avoid attacking other users / etc, with extra explanation as needed - however sometimes this isn't appropriate (i.e. if the posts were a good number of posts back, I would end up breaking the current flow). However, I do think it is useful where possible to let users know why posts have been deleted.

Again, this will depend on the exact context. In the area I moderate, a lot of the off-topic discussion I bin is 'chat' as opposed to something that would make its own thread. If the off-topic posts are sensible discussion, then it mainly depends on the exact situation to if I bin it or keep it. If it doesn't increase my workload too much, I will try to separate the good posts and split them into their own thread, but most of the time it would either be too difficult job to remove rule breaking posts (e.g. if I had 100+ posts to go through), or the posts are only a couple of posts, in which case I will leave them in the thread.

As long as you don't do it in an offensive manner, then posting something the OP doesn't want to hear isn't against the rules. However, it also isn't against the rules for the OP to just not listen to anyone who disagrees with them, so I personally would say you might be better just leaving those threads, it is what I do personally when not moderating.

Glad to hear that I have settled your concerns, and also thanks for your feedback :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by Ribbit1234
They give me blue cards every two seconds for stupid reasons

Please don't exaggerate.

And although we can't discuss the reasons they were given, they aren't for stupid reasons, they're because you broke the rules. It's pretty clear but I'm afraid.

Please remember that blue cards are meant as a reminder of the rules, rather than anything to be particularly concerned about. A handful of blue cards for minor rule breaking should not affect your TSR experience.
Original post by River85

I stand corrected then. Apologies.
Original post by River85
Please don't exaggerate.

And although we can't discuss the reasons they were given, they aren't for stupid reasons, they're because you broke the rules. It's pretty clear but I'm afraid.

Please remember that blue cards are meant as a reminder of the rules, rather than anything to be particularly concerned about. A handful of blue cards for minor rule breaking should not affect your TSR experience.

Please be quiet. I really dont care anyway lol
Reply 87
Original post by Katie_p
Off topic is the one that annoys me. I've never been carded or given warning points or anything, but so many times I've seen mods post warnings "these are examples of being off-topic...please stay on topic" or without even highlighting things they think are off-topic, posting a "polite reminder" to stay on topic.
I've seen it mostly in threads about religion, or sexual assault, but for goodness sake, if A posts "is this rape" then posts discussing the definition of rape and giving scenarios where something is or isn't rape are as on topic as it can possibly get!!!

I've quite often not posted in threads (on less controversial topics) because I'm worried that my post might be considered "off-topic" when I'd really like to find out what a particular poster means by a comment they have made, or I want to point out something the OP has overlooked.
This post could even be considered off-topic by some, because this thread is someone having a rant about the TSR rules, not discussing what counts as being the topic of a thread....It's such a ridiculous rule :frown:

I agree, not having a go at TSR but there's a difference between going off on a small tangent and completely derailing a thread. The "off-topic post rule" makes me hesitate from posting on some threads which is a shame really. I wish they could use a little more discretion eg enforce it for genuinely dodgy ground

Spoiler

The whole point of some threads is that they don't entirely stay SOLEY on specific area of a topic.

But once again, credit to TSR mods as they normally are truly very good, I feel that with what happened to me I'm in the minority definitely which is a good thing for TSR :biggrin:
Nearly 100 posts in and the only rule that has been criticised specifically is that discussions about warnings stay in AAM/SL (so one sided/unbalanced accounts aren't spread - because the mods don't/can't discuss warning reasons and few people who get warned are able to present their story in a balanced way).

Has anyone got some examples of rules that are actually rubbish rather than a bunch of whinging about how mean "the mods" are?
Reply 89
Original post by PQ
Nearly 100 posts in and the only rule that has been criticised specifically is that discussions about warnings stay in AAM/SL (so one sided/unbalanced accounts aren't spread - because the mods don't/can't discuss warning reasons and few people who get warned are able to present their story in a balanced way).

Has anyone got some examples of rules that are actually rubbish rather than a bunch of whinging about how mean "the mods" are?

Off-topic. What does that even mean, a thread evolves naturally and if it makes you think of something surely that is "on-topic". Additionally, some things might actually be about the same topic, but not what the OP was getting at and thus deemed "off-topic".

Spam. What mods sometimes consider spam is a joke. Literally, sometimes a joke is deemed "spam".
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by danny111
Off-topic. What does that even mean, a thread evolves naturally and if it makes you think of something surely that is "on-topic". Additionally, some things might actually be about the same topic, but not what the OP was getting at and thus deemed "off-topic".

Spam. What mods sometimes consider spam is a joke. Literally, sometimes a joke is deemed "spam".

The rules on both of those are pretty straightforward though. To paraphrase: "Posts should be relevant and add something" so having a chat about someone's avatar or posting just a smilie/gif etc

I'm sure if someone wanted to suggest clearer wording for the rules pages that the mods and CT would be happy to discuss that: it is in their interests for users to know and understand the rules so improving clarity would be welcomed.

The issue this thread appears to be discussing is a lack of awareness or understanding of the rules and inconsistent enforcement of the rules.
Reply 91
Original post by de_monies

Hey Jenn, we don't allow people to discuss cards openly on the forums. You're meant to discuss them in AAM :smile:

Also, we don't allow unrestricted freedom of speech. It doesn't exist in law either - If we allowed true freedom of speech, TSR would probably end up like YouTube comments..

Until this post, I honestly had no idea who you are, and again we're not one single body. There are around 60 of us, all with different opinions

I was joking when I said "the mods on here don't seem to like me" (obviously, none of them do know me personally and I've never befriended a mod :erm:). I just found it weird that I received a second blue card right after I got the first one. But I now know why, haha. :smile:

Of course, no one wants TSR to become like Youtube, but I think you should adapt your rules to the category of the people that's using TSR, i.e 15-25+ people. We aren't kids anymore!
First rule of TSR, you do not talk about TSR
Original post by danny111

It's something irrelevant / not constructive to the discussion. Yes, threads do evolve; but that doesn't mean for example, you can bring an issue about something which has nothing to do with the original topic.

True. But in forums like H&R, this isn't appropriate. In Chat, the rules are relaxed a lot more and you're not going to get warned if you posted something considered spam. IE, a reply which consisted of a smiley or a meme.
Reply 94
Original post by Qymberley
First rule of TSR, you do not talk about TSR

Haha, everyone's rebelling against those asinine rules.

"Viva la revolución! Long live the revolution" :rambo:
TSR shouldn't forget that it's WE, the people, who make TSR such a great place. So, they should do anything to please us (lol). :mmm:

Spoiler

Original post by Jenn.
Haha, everyone's rebelling against those asinine rules.

"Viva la revolución! Long live the revolution" :rambo:
TSR shouldn't forget that it's WE, the people, who make TSR such a great place. So, they should do anything to please us (lol). :mmm:

Spoiler

Yes, you, the people who have been members for 2 months, who are crucial to the site.
Reply 96
Original post by CJG21
Yes, you, the people who have been members for 2 months, who are crucial to the site.

Hahaha, you trying to be funny? :colonhash: Every member is important.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jenn.
Hahaha, you trying to be funny? :colonhash: Every member is important.

No. I was picking holes in what you were saying.

Spoiler

Reply 98
Original post by PQ
The rules on both of those are pretty straightforward though. To paraphrase: "Posts should be relevant and add something" so having a chat about someone's avatar or posting just a smilie/gif etc

I'm sure if someone wanted to suggest clearer wording for the rules pages that the mods and CT would be happy to discuss that: it is in their interests for users to know and understand the rules so improving clarity would be welcomed.

The issue this thread appears to be discussing is a lack of awareness or understanding of the rules and inconsistent enforcement of the rules.

But apparently they are not. Who decides what is "relevant" and what "adds something"?
Reply 99
Original post by CJG21
No. I was picking holes in what you were saying.

Spoiler

I am crucial to the site because I am a member of the site. 'How long I've been on here' has nothing to do with it! I'd be surprised if you become a mod... you don't seem quite sympathetic. You obviously don't know how business work. What do you think big firms like Facebook do with its new members? Do you think it privileges only its old member? Pfff...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending