The Student Room Group

Women on OKCupid

Scroll to see replies

You made yourself stand out, OP.

If I'd got that message, I'd have laughed, too. Doubt I'd have replied, but obviously in a population of 7 billion people, there are women who would find your message even more amusing than I would. Variety, eh?
Original post by Meme Wizard
(1) If that's your reasoning you can find an excuse to be rude to every human being alive.

(2) I think you'll find research allows people to do all manner of things with humans as the guinea pigs. What makes this so different? There are psychological tests done where the test subject is made to believe they are electrocuting people so how is what he did so extreme?

I don't understand how anything he said can anger a person so much. You're reasoning for being rude baffles me.
Erm, I appreciate where you're going with this, but there is actually a big difference: before an experiment can be performed using consenting human subjects, the researchers have to submit their proposal to an Ethics Committee.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Clinical-trials/Pages/Ethicscommittees.aspx

http://www.psy.ed.ac.uk/psy_research/research_ethics.php

I'm fairly certain the OP neither submitted this to a committee, nor got approval!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 61
The message stands out, and it's pretty funny. I'd probably reply, just to let you know the message made me laugh. If you were nice after I'd replied, then things would probably develop from there. So basically, your message was an attention grabber, standing out in an inbox full of 'Hi, how are you? Your picture is beautiful' (my friend tried internet for a laugh and she received up to sixty messages a day, and most of them were pretty much like that).
Reply 62
(1) If that's your reasoning you can find an excuse to be rude to every human being alive.

(2) I think you'll find research allows people to do all manner of things with humans as the guinea pigs. What makes this so different? There are psychological tests done where the test subject is made to believe they are electrocuting people so how is what he did so extreme?

I don't understand how anything he said can anger a person so much. You're reasoning for being rude baffles me.

(1) I don't see how you can not be getting this. I'll give you an example. I have black friends who wouldn't be offended if you said the n word to them. Does that mean that saying the N word is OK? That it's not rude? No, because just because these particular people (supposedly, maybe they were offended but are just trolling him back) didn't react badly don't mean he was not being rude.

If you are trying to make the point "well, some people will be offended at anything," it falls flat, because his message was clearly outside the clear standards set by social conduct as to what's acceptable, and (I hope) he knows it.

(2) These women didn't consent to being "test subjects." You can not just say "it's research" whenever you want to and do whatever you want to people. According to you, it's then OK to make people believe they're electricuting others without their permission, is it? Christ... :toofunny: :facepalm:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by redferry
My judgement would be either they are genuinely thick or find what you said humorous.

IIT works both ways, check this article:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-things-i-learned-from-worst-online-dating-profile-ever/

Many disgusting men...
Nice article!
Joins a 'party' with a ratio of 4~5 men to every woman (being very kind with that ratio btw), and boils his entire worth down to one page profile, that can be easily looked over and ignored.

Wonders why women don't respond.

Not to judge your lifestyle choices mate but honestly, with any given women I feel your chances are better served had you encountered her in real life compared to over a dating site.

Even if they do somehow see your message, it's like a few seconds of reading then deleted and ignored as she carries on with her life. She is likely to remember you more if you see her in real life, and put a living breathing face to the name. it'll feel more natural, the full spectrum and impact of flirtation, chemistry and interaction comes into play.

Basically humans have evolved, and our predecessor species before that to interact face to face in person.
If you can't use facial expressions, body language and all that to entice attraction and gauge potential, then how can you expect her to honestly take you seriously with just one message?

That is why online dating fails. The fact that there are legions of men fighting over a precious few women on them just makes the whole affair even more futile.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Alpha brah
(1) I don't see how you can not be getting this. I'll give you an example. I have black friends who wouldn't be offended if you said the n word to them. Does that mean that saying the N word is OK? That it's not rude? No, because just because these particular people (supposedly, maybe they were offended but are just trolling him back) didn't react badly don't mean he was not being rude.

If you are trying to make the point "well, some people will be offended at anything," it falls flat, because his message was clearly outside the clear standards set by social conduct as to what's acceptable, and (I hope) he knows it.

(2) These women didn't consent to being "test subjects." You can not just say "it's research" whenever you want to and do whatever you want to people. According to you, it's then OK to make people believe they're electricuting others without their permission, is it? Christ... :toofunny: :facepalm:

Everything I said nust have gone over your head. All of this still doesn't answer your arguably extreme reaction to him. It's not that serious.
Original post by Octopus_Garden
YErm, I appreciate where you're going with this, but there is actually a big difference: before an experiment can be performed using consenting human subjects, the researchers have to submit their proposal to an Ethics commitee. I'm fairly certain the OP neither submitted this to a committee, nor got approval!

It's hardly a case for an ethics committe. You and alpha brah need to calm down.
Reply 67
I know exactly what you mean, I sent 10+ geniune and polite messages to women on there and received no replies. I then got bored and messaged somebody the following:

"If we were to date would you eventually consider pooping on my back?"

She responded within minutes with:

"Depends what I had eaten"

And after a bit more poo related banter, we started having a genuine conversation that lasted a good couple of hours. Quite baffling huh?
It's hardly a case for an ethics committe. You and alpha brah need to calm down.
Soz, already calm.

Whether it's a case for an ethics committee or not was irrelevant. Either you didn't know about them, or you were carelessly leaving out the approval process for the sake of your point.

Left unchallenged, this kind of thing has wider ramifications, like public distrust of researchers.
They responded because your message stood out. That's pretty much all there is to it.

I once said "ugh another one, from Liverpool.. hope your accent isn't strong >.>"..

She replied.. albeit not positively. Ended up having a conversation even though it didn't lead anywhere. :dontknow:

I don't hate the scouse accent btw, it's just infuriatingly difficult to grasp, case in point:

Original post by Octopus_Garden
Soz, already calm.

Whether it's a case for an ethics committee or not was irrelevant. Either you didn't know about them, or you were carelessly leaving out the approval process for the sake of your point.

Left unchallenged, this kind of thing has wider ramifications, like public distrust of researchers.

... what has that got to do with anything? Do you purposely exaggerate?
(edited 10 years ago)
... what has that got to do with anything? Do you purposely exaggerate?
Sadly, it's not exaggeration.

People are pretty ignorant.
Original post by SoftPunch
Have you ever given it a thought that it's mostly uneducated, chavy people who roll round such sites??!

you'd be surprised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
If the woman likes the look of the man he can say anything and she'll respond

If she doesn't, she won't

It's not about what you say; it's about who is saying it
Reply 74
Original post by Mickey O'Neil
If I message them something nice on there and ask them on a date I get nothing from them. Not even a rejection via message.

I just messaged 4 women who were online with this:

'Im fed up of messaging women all this boring romance ****. I get no replies because you're all up yourselves. Do you want to bang or at least meet up? A yes or no will suffice. Thanks.'

Three of them responded within minutes (they were online) and 2 of them said they would continue messaging me. The other said my message was 'interesting and funny'.

Please explain yourselves.........why do you respond to that type of message and not the more gentleman approach?

:s-smilie:

Have you ever given it a thought that it's mostly uneducated, chavy people who roll round such sites??!
Reply 75
If the woman likes the look of the man he can say anything and she'll respond

If she doesn't, she won't

It's not about what you say; it's about who is saying it
Reply 76
OkCupid is just filled with women looking to boost their ego by reading messages but never have actually any intention on meeting up. That's why they don't reply.
Original post by geoking
OkCupid is just filled with women looking to boost their ego by reading messages but never have actually any intention on meeting up. That's why they don't reply.

I've met with people from there twice. Didn't have any chemistry with either of them though so it didn't go anywhere

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by geoking

I've been on that site and (for me) no reply means no interest

When I fancied a person I replied to them and met several

If you reply just to be polite it causes problems as the person thinks you're interested when you're not

I've been on another site that sends an automatic 'not interested' message to people who fall outside your message filters (in terms of age or location) and even with this message going out some people still keep sending messages and occasionally they're nasty which is laughable as it was sent automatically!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Odd socks
I've met with people from there twice. Didn't have any chemistry with either of them though so it didn't go anywhere

Posted from TSR Mobile

A nice study was done that showed that it's aimed far more to women and that the guys will never receive even half of what a woman gets - out the messages you received, how many people did you message first?

Quick Reply

Latest