The Student Room Group

Carpe Vinum boards the gain train

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Carpe Vinum
Thank you :h: like my back twinged a bit during the last 2 reps, probably because I was fatigued and didn't keep perfect form (not that my form is perfect anyway).

Yeah I probably should. What do you recommend as a warm-up before I start? Is cardio a good warm-up before lifting?

I didn't say he was perving :tongue: I just felt uncomfortable with a guy staring at me for a good 15 minutes. He may have just been curious but still, non-stop staring is too much IMO.

Haha wow. I really wanna make friends at my gym. There was a friendly looking guy benching while I was DLing, he looked pretty approachable so I might try and strike up a conversation one morning :awesome:

Also, I have really painful calluses on the outside of my palms... do you use gloves at all? I really need to get a pair.

I personally don't do much of a warm up, unless my walk to the gym (5 mins) is particularly cold, in which case I jump on the watt bike for 5 mins.

I've got a pair of weight gloves, I got them when I ripped a callus off last year. Can't remember the last time I used them... they make grip more difficult and on push movements, I have no confidence that my hand won't slip. I wouldn't recommend them :smile:

Hope that's of some use :smile:

Also, I have really painful calluses on the outside of my palms... do you use gloves at all? I really need to get a pair.

Depending if your gym will let you, just a little bit of chalk is great because it stops you getting calluses and increases grip, especially on stuff like deadlifts. You just can't trust gloves to be honest.
Workout 26/02/14

ing for 60 kg by the end of next week.

> Bench
10kg 2x5
15kg 4x5
16kg 2x5

Also, while I was DLing, there was a man sitting on one of the benches STARING at me in the mirror. Like not just a couple of glances, he was outright watching me, from my first till my last set. It was ****ing uncomfortable. And people wonder why women don't lift?
]

Calm down, maybe he was just mirin'. I watched a woman the whole way through a set of deadlifts once and was mirin' cus she was really thin and did 60kg for like 8 reps and made it look easy (she probably weighed ~45kg). I also watch guys often when I'm resting, especially if they are moving some heavy weight. I'm not gonna deliberately not look just because they are a woman! Hint: that would be discriminating and inherently sexist :wink:. Anyway, nice deadlift progress!

Was gonna say just go for it with benching the oly bar (20kg) with 2x5 @16kg theres no way you will get pinned! Then the logical part of my brain finally work up and realised that proportionately that is a massive 25% increase! Comparitively (proportionately) I would definitely have got pinned by 100kg for even 1 rep when my limit strength was 80kg 2x5 (also +25%).
(edited 10 years ago)
Thank you :h: like my back twinged a bit during the last 2 reps, probably because I was fatigued and didn't keep perfect form (not that my form is perfect anyway).

Yeah I probably should. What do you recommend as a warm-up before I start? Is cardio a good warm-up before lifting?

Yeah, you can warm-up with light cardio if you want, but I never do it. The warm-up sets are your warm-up. :tongue:

I didn't say he was perving :tongue: I just felt uncomfortable with a guy staring at me for a good 15 minutes. He may have just been curious but still, non-stop staring is too much IMO.

Fair enough, but just tell yourself he mirin'. Give a most muscular in the mirror after you do your deadlifts.

Haha wow. I really wanna make friends at my gym. There was a friendly looking guy benching while I was DLing, he looked pretty approachable so I might try and strike up a conversation one morning :awesome:

Calluses shouldn't be painful (that's the whole point in developing them!), and this'd be super quick to form any decent calluses. Sure you aren't just ripping the skin up?

If you're having trouble with grip and the bar's tearing at your hands, then try chalk. If your gym doesn't allow chalk, then try liquid chalk.

Original post by In One Ear

Was gonna say just go for it with benching the oly bar (20kg) with 2x5 @16kg theres no way you will get pinned! Then the logical part of my brain finally work up and realised that proportionately that is a massive 25% increase! Comparitively (proportionately) I would definitely have got pinned by 100kg for even 1 rep when my limit strength was 80kg 2x5 (also +25%).

Yeah, but proportion's a rubbish measurement to go by at that level of weight. :tongue:
I think she could wreck 20.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Hype en Ecosse

Yeah, but proportion's a rubbish measurement to go by at that level of weight. :tongue:

Say what? Ratios are the only thing that should hold true at all weights.

50kg *3 => 55kg 1RM, 70kg*3 =>77kg 1RM, 100*3 => 110kg 1RM etc.

Fore sure 50kg*3 => roughly a 55kg 1RM, but 200kg*3 =/> a 205kg 1RM, will be closer to 220 than 205 for sure.

This scales back the other way as well. What reason would you have to believe that this does not hold for "light" weights? After all "heavy" is only a relative term anyway.
Say what? Ratios are the only thing that should hold true at all weights.

50kg *3 => 55kg 1RM, 70kg*3 =>77kg 1RM, 100*3 => 110kg 1RM etc.

Fore sure 50kg*3 => roughly a 55kg 1RM, but 200kg*3 =/> a 205kg 1RM, will be closer to 220 than 205 for sure.

This scales back the other way as well. What reason would you have to believe that this does not hold for "light" weights? After all "heavy" is only a relative term anyway.

Just like with your example: I don't think a 16kg to 20kg jump would feel nearly as heavy as a 80kg to 100kg jump and doesn't necessarily mean it'd be too heavy. Besides, I very much doubt 16kg is a true 5RM and she's still on them super newbie neural gains. :tongue:

Adding 1kg to my press now feels just as heavy as it did months ago when I was chilling out at 25kg. And adding 2.5kg to my squat now feels much heavier than it did at the beginning for the same reasons as above. At the very beginning, you can add 10% to your squat per workout no problem. If I did that now, I think I might collapse under the bar. :lol:
Reply 46
Ermahgerddd influx of posters on my thread, I feel loved :cry2:

Original post by Angry cucumber
I personally don't do much of a warm up, unless my walk to the gym (5 mins) is particularly cold, in which case I jump on the watt bike for 5 mins.

I've got a pair of weight gloves, I got them when I ripped a callus off last year. Can't remember the last time I used them... they make grip more difficult and on push movements, I have no confidence that my hand won't slip. I wouldn't recommend them :smile:

Hope that's of some use :smile:

Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Depending if your gym will let you, just a little bit of chalk is great because it stops you getting calluses and increases grip, especially on stuff like deadlifts. You just can't trust gloves to be honest.

Okay so most people seem to be against gloves then. I've not seen anyone else using chalk o: I might just try with gloves once and see how it is, otherwise I might try the chalk thing. If not I guess I'll just have to man up :lol:

Calm down, maybe he was just mirin'. I watched a woman the whole way through a set of deadlifts once and was mirin' cus she was really thin and did 60kg for like 8 reps and made it look easy (she probably weighed ~45kg). I also watch guys often when I'm resting, especially if they are moving some heavy weight. I'm not gonna deliberately not look just because they are a woman! Hint: that would be discriminating and inherently sexist :wink:. Anyway, nice deadlift progress!

Lol okay! I didn't realise it was acceptable to watch people in the gym, that's all :lol: I always try to keep myself to myself, but everyone here seems to say they've watched people before so if that's the case then fine. My mistake :redface:

16 kg was easy though so I think I am just gonna go for it :tongue: I'll try with 9 kg dumbbells beforehand but I'm pretty confident I can manage 20kg.

Yeah, you can warm-up with light cardio if you want, but I never do it. The warm-up sets are your warm-up. :tongue:

Fair enough, but just tell yourself he mirin'. Give a most muscular in the mirror after you do your deadlifts.

Calluses shouldn't be painful (that's the whole point in developing them!), and this'd be super quick to form any decent calluses. Sure you aren't just ripping the skin up?

If you're having trouble with grip and the bar's tearing at your hands, then try chalk. If your gym doesn't allow chalk, then try liquid chalk.

Oh yeah good point, I forgot about that haha! I'll probably start just doing 5-10 mins before I start, do my lifts then go home, and do cardio-only days. Plus dog walking.

They're like blisters, they're sensitive when I press them. I got the same on my fingertips when I started playing guitar though I guess, and they hardened up and stopped being painful so I suppose the same will happen with these?

Alrighty thanks :biggrin:

That 20kg bar better pepper its angus

Thanks for all the replies guys!
Just like with your example: I don't think a 16kg to 20kg jump would feel nearly as heavy as a 80kg to 100kg jump and doesn't necessarily mean it'd be too heavy. Besides, I very much doubt 16kg is a true 5RM and she's still on them super newbie neural gains. :tongue:

Adding 1kg to my press now feels just as heavy as it did months ago when I was chilling out at 25kg. And adding 2.5kg to my squat now feels much heavier than it did at the beginning for the same reasons as above. At the very beginning, you can add 10% to your squat per workout no problem. If I did that now, I think I might collapse under the bar. :lol:

Yes I was going to add the point that newbie gains are what might make such a progression possible even if 16kg was a true 5RM, but then I didn't bother because she is female and females seem to have appalling bench press power and progression on the movement in general.

If adding 1kg to the press now feels as heavy as it did months ago when it was proportionately a greater increase, then that is because the decrease in proportional increase is roughly matching the decrease in your ability to adapt to a greater load (newbie gains reducing and falloff from being closer to your maximum potential).
Reply 48
Lol we'll see :innocent: I wanna be stronggg :cry2:

Oh I went up to 50kg for 3x3 that session. :smile:

das it mane

u mekin me cri evry teim by doing squats
Reply 49
Yes I was going to add the point that newbie gains are what might make such a progression possible even if 16kg was a true 5RM, but then I didn't bother because she is female and females seem to have appalling bench press power and progression on the movement in general.

If adding 1kg to the press now feels as heavy as it did months ago when it was proportionately a greater increase, then that is because the decrease in proportional increase is roughly matching the decrease in your ability to adapt to a greater load (newbie gains reducing and falloff from being closer to your maximum potential).

If it helps then I didn't feel like my arms were going to drop off after 2x5 with 16kg. I could've gone for more, but I got lazy and stopped.
If it helps then I didn't feel like my arms were going to drop off after 2x5 with 16kg. I could've gone for more, but I got lazy and stopped.

You should be fine then, go crush that Olympic bar!! :biggrin:
You should be fine then, go crush that Olympic bar!! :biggrin:

Yeah. Literally crush the bar. Want to see that grip of steel. :wink:

PS: Thanks for the press knowledge bomb. Hoping I can keep progressing semi-linearly for a while more. Has felt much easier since getting past 32 thankfully!
Reply 52
Workout 26/02/14
Strength

> Lat pull down
25kg 2x5
32kg 2x5
39kg 2x3

> Leg press
32kg 2x5
45kg 2x5
52kg 1x5

> Deadlifts
40kg 3x5
45kg 2x5
47.5kg 1x5
50kg 2x5
55kg 1x5

Notes

Spoiler

> Bench
10kg 2x5
15kg 4x5
16kg 2x5

Notes

Spoiler

Cardio

> 20 mins elliptical high resistance. I would've done more but I had already been there 60 minutes.

General notes

Spoiler

Not bad for after 10 days (I think you said)! As for the guy looking at you, I stare at people lifting to try and pick up anything that could improve my form. I've seen guys on Youtube perform perfect form but when I go to the gym I sometimes forget exactly what it looked like so watching people with good form (or even bad form so you know how ridiculous they look) helps :tongue: Also, I tend to just watch people in the gym between sets. Don't be put off by it and make me feel bad :puppyeyes: :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by B0neBrah
Not bad for after 10 days (I think you said)! As for the guy looking at you, I stare at people lifting to try and pick up anything that could improve my form. I've seen guys on Youtube perform perfect form but when I go to the gym I sometimes forget exactly what it looked like so watching people with good form (or even bad form so you know how ridiculous they look) helps :tongue: Also, I tend to just watch people in the gym between sets. Don't be put off by it and make me feel bad :puppyeyes: :tongue:

Thanks! Damn you and your 40 to 60 kg DL jump though :colonhash:

Yeah everyone's replies have reassured me. I just didn't realise it was a common occurrence :lol:
Reply 54
Back is killing me. I love DLing but back DOMs are the worst. Skipping gym today. I think next time I'll be able to go is Saturday.
Reply 55
TOTM = no lifting. Feel too ****ty. Walking the dog twice a day though.
Reply 56
Awful last week or so. Too much drinking + too little sleep = disaster. I'm the walking dead. But luckily having a puppy gets me out the house daily so most days I've been getting 1-2 hours exercise.

Not sure when I'll be back to the gym. I need a few days to sleep this off lol.

Also, going abroad for a month in June so that'll be another setback.

I realise I've been having a lot of setbacks due to things but good news is, I visited the uni I'll be going to from this year, and there is a gym bang on my campus :awesome: and if I get my desired accommodation I'll be 5 minutes away from it.
Not good, Carpe Vinum, not good!

A few days to sleep it off? What sort of decrepit old person are you?! Go sleep 12 hours tonight and hit the gym tomorrow!

You cannot be waiting until next academic year and the uni gym to actually go to the gym...think of all the lost gainzzz!
Reply 58

A few days to sleep it off? What sort of decrepit old person are you?! Go sleep 12 hours tonight and hit the gym tomorrow!

You cannot be waiting until next academic year and the uni gym to actually go to the gym...think of all the lost gainzzz!

Lool hey I didn't say I'm waiting till next academic year to go to the gym again! I'm going to go as soon as I can! :sad:

This

Has been to the gym barely passing for alive crew

Gainz are made whether you're feeling it or not

Tbh when I feel hungover I quite often shift decent PBs.. carb loading ftw

Quick Reply

Latest