The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Carmel College transportation

Hey! For context, I have an offer from Liverpool to complete a foundation year at Carmel College before beginning my degree, and I plan to live at one of the (currently undecided) halls on campus, as that was recommended by the university.

For those who have done this before, or knows somebody that has/is, is it best to get the train or the bus to the college? They take almost the same amount of time, but is one easier/cheaper/overall better than the other?

Also, which halls would be best for rolling out of bed and onto said transport?
Hey! I'm also starting the foundation year at Carmel! What pathway are you on?

I can't help with the accommodation though as I'll be renting in Warrington, sorry!
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Awesome! I'll be doing computer science, what about yourself?
Oh nice! I'm doing veterinary science :smile:
Original post by DoctorDiesel
Hey! For context, I have an offer from Liverpool to complete a foundation year at Carmel College before beginning my degree, and I plan to live at one of the (currently undecided) halls on campus, as that was recommended by the university.

For those who have done this before, or knows somebody that has/is, is it best to get the train or the bus to the college? They take almost the same amount of time, but is one easier/cheaper/overall better than the other?

Also, which halls would be best for rolling out of bed and onto said transport?

Hi there :smile:

I hope you're well.

Both services are very similar, so it really is whichever you prefer / feel more comfortable doing. I would recommend that once you get here, to use both forms of transport and then decide - what might work for someone might not work for another!

I hope that's helpful!
Ana - UoL Ambassador.
Thank you for your advice! :smile: Do you know which bus the foundation year students need to catch to get to the college?
I've just recently finished my foundation year, but it really depends. You'll have to catch the early train for Carmel if you have 9ams, which is about 3 a week for me. Considering it's not off-peak times either, the train will cost quite a bit. When I took it at the beginning of the year I spent around £20 each week. It's a ~25 min journey and the walk from the station to Carmel is about 15-20 mins, which is why I went for the bus instead. I live in halls (Melville), and the bus stop was around 15 minutes away from me. The bus does take a long time though, around 45 minutes, and it is cheaper than getting the train, at least for me. You'll have to get the 10 bus as it drops you right outside of Carmel, not the 10a, since that'll drop you off a bit away from Carmel and it's a walk.
(edited 1 year ago)
I really appreciate this, thank you!
Just finished mine, bus definitely. Longer but overall so much cheaper and drops you right outside
Reply 9
Original post by Harrygabb
Just finished mine, bus definitely. Longer but overall so much cheaper and drops you right outside

Hi, im going into foundation this september and was wondering where the number 10 bus stops at. Does it only go from 1 bus stop to carmel college or does it stop on the way. If it does only have 1 bus stop to board on, where is it. If it stops multiple times, do u know which one is closest to crown place?

many thanks
Original post by jko.myuga
Hi, im going into foundation this september and was wondering where the number 10 bus stops at. Does it only go from 1 bus stop to carmel college or does it stop on the way. If it does only have 1 bus stop to board on, where is it. If it stops multiple times, do u know which one is closest to crown place?

many thanks

Hi there,

The Number 10 bus stops at a number of stops along the way to Carmel College. The closest stop to Crown Place would be Low Hill (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Low+Hill/@53.4108244,-2.9646046,20.25z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x487b2111291a9a0d:0x8d4ddda2caa00a4a!8m2!3d53.41082!4d-2.964432!16s%2Fg%2F11tkb1c3d4?entry=ttu) which is about 5-10 minute walk from the halls.

Best of luck with your studies :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Original post by DoctorDiesel
Awesome! I'll be doing computer science, what about yourself?

I see this thread is relatively old but I just want to gain an insight, how hard is the computer Science routes in the foundation year? I was advised to do Additional Maths, Full Maths, and Computer science. I'm not really worried about the computer science section because I do A level Comp Sci and the spec is practically the same, however the maths side sound quite daunting to me as I only achieved a 5 in my GCSE Maths FOUNDATION. Any information would be kindly appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending