The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pak1994
Haha :tongue:
Don't know why it took so long - having done prelims last term I have no work at all this vacation. :biggrin:

Alright for some! How did prelims go? :smile:
Reply 281
Course: English
College: Magdalen
GSCEs/A Levels: N/A
International candidate, so whether or not I will be eligible will be based on my ATAR and ELAT results.
Reply 282
Original post by Noble.
:frown:

I have lectures all the way up until 3 weeks before exams :lol: (which are in 8th/9th week TT)

Sorry (I do enjoy reminding my friends who don't do PPL or Law about that though :tongue: ).
We had our last lecture a week before our first exam. :angry:

Original post by LeJennifleur
Alright for some! How did prelims go? :smile:

:tongue: No idea, they still haven't told us! (and it's extra annoying as Lawyers who had their exams a week after us already know). Well, I'm pretty confident that I haven't failed, which is what really matters...
Original post by RichE
Phys & Phil has existed for many years - not sure where you got this from

Thank you for letting me know. Anybody applying for Physics and Philosophy?
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey I'm thinking of applying to cambridge or Oxford in the future and I was wondering If anyone could give me an objective view of the type of character required to succeed at oxbridge. Like do you need lots of confidence, independence, a good work attitude...etc
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Carrob135
Hey I'm thinking of applying to cambridge or Oxford in the future and I was wondering If anyone could give me an objective view of the type of character required to succeed at oxbridge. Like do you need lots of confidence, independence, a good work attitude...etc

You need to be a high achiever (intellectually) with a real passion for your subject - that is all
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 286
Original post by Carrob135

You would have thought people might want to develop such behaviours anyway if they want to benefit from higher education, regardless of institution.
Original post by NikolaT
You would have thought people might want to develop such behaviours anyway if they want to benefit from higher education, regardless of institution.

I was really referring to an excess in these qualities, or any other for that matter
I'm really interested in studying the English & Modern Languages course at Oxford (French), yet I have no idea which college to apply for, even after researching them all! Would it be silly to make an Open Application?

GCSEs: 4 A*s, 7 A's
A Level Subjects: English Literature, French, History, Psychology
Reply 289
Original post by stephaniegreen
]Would it be silly to make an Open Application?

Not at all. Plenty of people do, and even if you choose a college you can still be reassigned.
I'm really interested in studying the English & Modern Languages course at Oxford (French), yet I have no idea which college to apply for, even after researching them all! Would it be silly to make an Open Application?

GCSEs: 4 A*s, 7 A's
A Level Subjects: English Literature, French, History, Psychology

I made an open application for 2014 entry, and it didn't hinder me :smile:

I liked the college I was assigned after applying open.
Oxford insist that whatever college you apply to won't help nor hinder your chances, and I feel like I should believe them but surely a much smaller college would be more difficult to get into than a larger one? Although I know that even of you're rejected from your chosen college you can be reassigned to another... it's all very confusing! I was wondering whether someone could recommend a college to me? One that's quite big, not too modern or old, close to the city centre... :smile:
Oxford insist that whatever college you apply to won't help nor hinder your chances, and I feel like I should believe them but surely a much smaller college would be more difficult to get into than a larger one? Although I know that even of you're rejected from your chosen college you can be reassigned to another... it's all very confusing! I was wondering whether someone could recommend a college to me? One that's quite big, not too modern or old, close to the city centre... :smile:

I recommend having a look at prospectuses (especially the alternative ones) and visiting on Open Days mostly, but this site may help you start:
http://www.chooseoxfordcollege.co.uk/
It just allows you to rank a few by location.
Personally, I would make a list of what matters most to you (e.g. accommodation options, location, size, age, whether it does your subject) then begin to cut them down from there.

If you get an offer I'm sure you'll love which ever college it is anyway: I applied to Hertford for Maths but now have an offer from St Hugh's and couldn't be happier! :biggrin:
Reply 293
Is oxford fun? As in, I know people do get stuck into their work, but are their down to earth people who also just want to have fun and let loose at times too?
I know this is a weird question but it's just been playing on my mind

Posted from TSR Mobile

You might like to try Worcester College. It's a mixture of old and new, close to the city centre but not on the main tourist trail. I actually had a friend who did English and French there. She really enjoyed it, afaik :yep:

I'm sure other people can recommend you equally nice colleges too :smile:
Original post by m0hd_J
Is oxford fun? As in, I know people do get stuck into their work, but are their down to earth people who also just want to have fun and let loose at times too?
I know this is a weird question but it's just been playing on my mind

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes of course there are! Don't worry :biggrin:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You might like to try Worcester College. It's a mixture of old and new, close to the city centre but not on the main tourist trail. I actually had a friend who did English and French there. She really enjoyed it, afaik :yep:

I'm sure other people can recommend you equally nice colleges too :smile:

Great thanks I'll look into that college! :redface:
Great thanks I'll look into that college! :redface:

No worries! I'm off on holiday tomorrow but if you have any questions about Woosta, you can PM me and I'll respond on my return (Bank Holiday weekend) :yep:
All my college narrowing-down, and I've still got 20 on my list - too many to visit. Anyone figured out a good system to sort a good shortlist?
Original post by William Turtle
All my college narrowing-down, and I've still got 20 on my list - too many to visit. Anyone figured out a good system to sort a good shortlist?

I made an excel spreadsheet and rated the colleges on size, distance from faculty, distance from town, prettiness, greenery, age, number of tutors and wealth I think.
Got it down to around 5 and I think that's manageable in a day :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending