The Student Room Group

American vs British English

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Just remembered something, I study French, and the bigger my vocabulary gets, the more I realise that American English words just tend to be more based on French than the English ones, like élévateur - elevator. Just another thought...
Reply 41
Original post by lucy_mac_1999
I'm English and have an American pen pal from Ohio. I always videochat her but have never met her, it's crazy how much she rubs off on me. Formally, I use English words but when it comes to slang etc I'm so American. I say things like Rachet, Kill Em, I'm Weak etc. It's the funniest thing because my friends just look at me with one of them "wtf are you talking about" faces :')

For a lot of people, television and social media do have similar influences though, because they pronounce words like zebra as zee-bra, with an ee sound, instead of an e sound. I think it's that that sounds funny!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 42
i dont see the problem as long as people understand what there saying why not use whatever language you like , after all americans took nearly all their words from us
Reply 43
America is like the adopted-son who's trying so hard to impress the family.

Whenever I read a an American book i.e. Stephen Kings, I glance at my Wiki page to gain some equanimity .

American_and_British_English_spelling_popularity.png

Whats irritating is the fact that the software's (Windows OS, Mac OS, IOS, Microsoft Office etc.) we implement in our daily routines use 'American English' and we rely on them so heavily. If countries like Japan and Russia were to use English as their main languages, America would be another China.

Try writing some code in English and you will notice the 's' turn into 'z' the 'e;' being dropped. So zad :frown:.
Reply 44
I have no problem with Americans using American English, but when I was sitting my chemistry GCSE (nearly two years ago now!) written by an English exam board, in an English school, in England, they decided to use the word 'sulfur.' Last time I checked, the English version was spelt 'sulphur'...?

And then British young people get complained at for being bad at spelling. Maybe the exam boards should try setting a good example...
Original post by Grecko
America is like the adopted-son who's trying so hard to impress the family.

Whenever I read a an American book i.e. Stephen Kings, I glance at my Wiki page to gain some equanimity .

American_and_British_English_spelling_popularity.png

Whats irritating is the fact that the software's (Windows OS, Mac OS, IOS, Microsoft Office etc.) we implement in our daily routines use 'American English' and we rely on them so heavily. If countries like Japan and Russia were to use English as their main languages, America would be another China.

Try writing some code in English and you will notice the 's' turn into 'z' the 'e;' being dropped. So zad :frown:.

I just don't understand why it is such a huge deal. Americans literally don't care (in fact, the majority think it's cool) when you say or write something in a "British" way [Experience: I live in America]. It just seems strange that you take such offence at such an insignificant thing. Just embrace the difference and get over it :cool:
Reply 46
Original post by cant_think_of_name
I just don't understand why it is such a huge deal. Americans literally don't care (in fact, the majority think it's cool) when you say or write something in a "British" way [Experience: I live in America]. It just seems strange that you take such offence at such an insignificant thing. Just embrace the difference and get over it :cool:

Nice! Definitely true, but I don't think that anybody finds it offensive!
Things sound strange and annoying when they are in the wrong context. So for example, thoroughly British pubs that use 'fries' on the menu instead of 'chips'. People trying to sound cool by saying things like 'freeway' instead of 'motorway', or 'way too cool' instead of 'nice', or 'awesome' instead of 'splendid'.
Reply 48
I dislike Americanisms, but I think most people are prone to using them sometimes unintentionally.
Original post by C0balt
What if I'm an international student and uses British words and American words at the same time?
I say Aluminium but I say tomato with American accent lol

^ exactly.
Reply 50
Anything the Americans do, say or believe in general is wrong.

If they all swapped to using the word "Aluminium" tomorrow, we would need to make up a new word for it because ultimately calling it "Aluminium" would now be wrong.
Original post by Law-Hopeful
It sounds revoltingly wrong. 'Soccer' is vomit-inducing too.

Because why use second rate American English words when you can use the proper English words?

Why use new english when you can use old english? why not gaelic? lets all go back to latin hells yeah
Getting precious about language is fairly natural, but in the case of English it's like trying to breed a pedigree mutt.

A small selection of words we've nicked:

'Angst' - German
'Restaurant' - French
'Vigilante' - Spanish
'Ombudsman' - Swedish
'Ketchup' - Chinese
'Mammoth' - Russian
'Dinghy' - Sanskrit
'Commando' - Afrikaans
'Tycoon' - Japanese
'Algebra' - Arabic
'Cot' - Hindi
'Shawl' - Persian
'Barbecue' - Carib
'Robot' - Czech
'Cookie' - Dutch

Even some of the most English of words - 'tea' and 'polo' - are loan words from other languages.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Things sound strange and annoying when they are in the wrong context. So for example, thoroughly British pubs that use 'fries' on the menu instead of 'chips'. People trying to sound cool by saying things like 'freeway' instead of 'motorway', or 'way too cool' instead of 'nice', or 'awesome' instead of 'splendid'.

The only person who can get away with saying 'splendid' is David Attenborough.

I would say Richard Dawkins, but that's only because he can't say anything without sounding like a tool.
Original post by TurboCretin
Getting precious about language is fairly natural, but in the case of English it's like trying to breed a pedigree mutt.

A small selection of words we've nicked:

'Angst' - German
'Restaurant' - French
'Vigilante' - Spanish
'Ombudsman' - Swedish
'Ketchup' - Chinese
'Mammoth' - Russian
'Dinghy' - Sanskrit
'Commando' - Afrikaans
'Tycoon' - Japanese
'Algebra' - Arabic
'Cot' - Hindi
'Shawl' - Persian
'Barbecue' - Carib
'Robot' - Czech
'Cookie' - Dutch

Even some of the most English of words - 'tea' and 'polo' - are loan words from other languages.

Well, quite a few of those languages have a common origin with English in the Indo-European group anyway, so we kind of just borrowed them from the lending library.
The only person who can get away with saying 'splendid' is David Attenborough.

He likes saying 'extraordinary' a lot. And at 1:10 he pronounces 'defecate' in a very American kind of way.

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 56

way to go hun
Well, quite a few of those languages have a common origin with English in the Indo-European group anyway, so we kind of just borrowed them from the lending library.

'Indo-European' is a pretty broad label. I'm fairly sure that the concept of a restaurant, for example, came about after the division of Germanic from Romance languages, and after the subdivision of Germanic languages between Old German, Old English, Old Dutch etc. I tried to give relatively modern examples where possible to highlight their origins as loanwords, loanwords being distinct from older words with common roots, such as house/haus in modern English/German.
'Indo-European' is a pretty broad label. I'm fairly sure that the concept of a restaurant, for example, came about after the division of Germanic from Romance languages, and after the subdivision of Germanic languages between Old German, Old English, Old Dutch etc. I tried to give relatively modern examples where possible to highlight their origins as loanwords, loanwords being distinct from older words with common roots, such as house/haus in modern English/German.

To be fair, I wasn't really implying that 'ketchup' or 'robot' were probably borrowed from Old High Sanskrit. I was more kind of suggesting that as we have a lot in common anyway, we are perhaps entitled to borrow and lend the odd word. :cookie:
Original post by the bear
way to go hun

I say. Aspects of this thread are less than appealing. I will adjourn for tiffin and a Pimms and lemon.

Quick Reply

Latest