The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Do I get a mark for putting flagellum instead of centrioles in Q1?
Do I get a mark for putting 16.6 hours because that is more accurate than 17 hours?
Do I get a mark for putting organelles instead of ultrastructure in the last question?
Original post by paradoxicalme
Sounds pretty Greek to me, but I think that should get you credit :smile:

I don't know, it's one of those where they'll either do ACCEPT or IGNORE with vein. Vascular bundle's the safe bet. Vein by itself I don't think would get the mark, but vascular vein might :smile:

i put " Vein (Vascular Bundle) "

do you think they'll ignore/only mark the first given answer?
for the definition questions i just put homologous instead of homologous pair, will i still get the mark?
Also, for how the microorganism question i said they can communicate by moving to find better environmental conditions as that was in the text is that still right? and for the gap fill i said diffusion gradient and not concentration gradient and in all the OCR books it says diffusion so will i get this mark too?
Reply 64
It took 16.6 hours to get from two cells to 100,000 cells, so add an hour on to account for the first cell division and you get 17.6 hours, right? Also, I wrote pressure gradient for why the balloons inflate question and then edited it to "pressure potential gradient", would I lose marks because of this?
Reply 65
I put Proton gradient instead of concentration gradient, think that's alright? Electrochemical probably the best word but didn't think of it in the exam!
Original post by REEMDUDE
Do I get a mark for putting 16.6 hours because that is more accurate than 17 hours?
Do I get a mark for putting organelles instead of ultrastructure in the last question?

Original post by REEMDUDE

Someone answer this dude!

Is 16.6 hours (y) or (n)? :s
Reply 67
Original post by emmawinter137
for the definition questions i just put homologous instead of homologous pair, will i still get the mark?

Yeah, I think the key word was homologous as the word pair was already written in the question. 'Homologous chromosomes' implies a pair anyway.
Original post by jesssharsmasmith
i put " Vein (Vascular Bundle) "

do you think they'll ignore/only mark the first given answer?

I'd be very surprised if you didn't get that mark.

I honestly don't know...mark schemes are really finicky. There's a good chance you have, though.

Also, for how the microorganism question i said they can communicate by moving to find better environmental conditions as that was in the text is that still right? and for the gap fill i said diffusion gradient and not concentration gradient and in all the OCR books it says diffusion so will i get this mark too?

I don't think that's right, because you haven't detailed the actual mechanism of cell signalling.
I'm not sure about that, but if it's in the textbooks it should be allowed.

Original post by Marcum
It took 16.6 hours to get from two cells to 100,000 cells, so add an hour on to account for the first cell division and you get 17.6 hours, right? Also, I wrote pressure gradient for why the balloons inflate question and then edited it to "pressure potential gradient", would I lose marks because of this?

No, it's 16.6 hours, your maths has gone off somewhere.
That should be okay.

Original post by Jack873
I put Proton gradient instead of concentration gradient, think that's alright? Electrochemical probably the best word but didn't think of it in the exam!

I doubt they'll let you have that, but you can never be sure with the OCR mark schemes.

Original post by Original_Guy
Someone answer this dude!

Is 16.6 hours (y) or (n)? :s

It is very likely that they will let you have 16.6 or 17 hours.
It is very likely that they will let you have 16.6 or 17 hours.

Thank you dude #2

Q) Also, cilia would not get the mark for a structure present in animal cells that is not in plant cells would it? :L

And could ya please put something up for the filling in the blanks thing? :s O:-)

Edit: I have arrived back from specsavers and have noticed you already put that up, thank youuuuuuu
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Original_Guy
Thank you dude #2

Q) Also, cilia would not get the mark for a structure present in animal cells that is not in plant cells would it? :L

And could ya please put something up for the filling in the blanks thing? :s O:-)

Edit: I have arrived back from specsavers and have noticed you already put that up, thank youuuuuuu

I don't know if plant cells have cilia (I'd assume not), but in any case cilia aren't 'inside' the cell.
Reply 71
I doubt they'll let you have that, but you can never be sure with the OCR mark schemes.

Ahh fair enough! Does a proton gradient only apply to the electron transport chain in aerobic respiration? I wasn't sure!
For 1)a)i) I put vacuoles - that is accepted too, right?

Also just remembered there was one question before the definitions asking what the microscope could see in companion cells :smile:
I think you've missed the one that asked what would a scientist see if he looked at the sieve tube element and companion cell through an electron microscope
Reply 74
Is Vacuole accepted for the first Q

For the electron microscope question I wrote it allows you to see the mitochondria. Which shows that it is an active process requiring ATP and therefore it uses ATP in active transport.
You could also say that ribosomes can be seen which make co- transport proteins

Posted from TSR Mobile
I put permanent vacuole instead of chloroplast for the first question, is that right still?
Did you guys find this harder that june 2013?
Reply 77
I just confirmed glucose is allowed as its produced by rapid photosynthesis and more commonly is converted into sucrose
Reply 78
June 2013 was ridiculously hard
Original post by Itsmeitsmeitsme
I think you've missed the one that asked what would a scientist see if he looked at the sieve tube element and companion cell through an electron microscope

This (I think it was looking at just the companion cell unless I'm mistaken.

I wrote you would expect to see lots of mitochondria (as ATP is being generated as it is needed for active transport of hydrogen ions). I think it was a 2 or 3 mark question?

Hope this helps OP

Latest