The Student Room Group

Is it bad to push to accelerator flat to the floor?

I have a 1.2l car, 12 years old so as you can imagine it's not the fastest thing in the world.

Sometimes when I exit roundabouts I 'floor it' in second (I say 'floor it' but let's be honest, granny in her 2012 Yaris still overtakes me). Sometimes I do it in third, and sometimes when I am on the motorway I 'floor it' to get back up to the speed limit if I have to slow down (but again, sounds bad but remember this is a 1.2 we're talking about).

Is it bad for the engine or anything? The revs hardly change, unless I am in 2nd then sometimes it gets to about 4-5000rpm (red is about 6-7rpm I think)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Talking from a purely mechanical viewpoint, you're theoretically okay until the red line - that's the only rev range that should be damaging the engine. As your car is older, however, the red line actually becomes a lot lower, maybe by about 1k or so, but there are quite a few factors affecting this. So 4-5.000 rpm should be sound.

Maybe have a look at getting a new exhaust or an ECU remap if you've got a few hundred quid (or more..) to throw at it, which will give it a little more power that might make all the difference.

So, mechanically, you're spot on giving it some. (Although it's a bit dodgy that when you floor it, it only hits 4-5,000 rpm in 2nd!!)
Reply 2
Original post by Runninground
I have a 1.2l car, 12 years old so as you can imagine it's not the fastest thing in the world.

Sometimes when I exit roundabouts I 'floor it' in second (I say 'floor it' but let's be honest, granny in her 2012 Yaris still overtakes me). Sometimes I do it in third, and sometimes when I am on the motorway I 'floor it' to get back up to the speed limit if I have to slow down (but again, sounds bad but remember this is a 1.2 we're talking about).

Is it bad for the engine or anything? The revs hardly change, unless I am in 2nd then sometimes it gets to about 4-5000rpm (red is about 6-7rpm I think)

I'd say it's only bad if you start revving over like 3K-RPM. Otherwise, don't worry about it
Generally it is pointless to rev beyond your peak torque unless you are doing it "just for fun"

Does it hurt anything? Not really beyond your bank account.

You can do some steps to minimize potential damage over the long term. First make sure you don't do it first thing in the morning especially if it is a cold winter morning, once the engine is warmed up and reached operating temperature then give it the go.

Doing it from standstill can wear off drive line parts and sudden flooring will also quicken the wear of your engine mounts and CV-joints.

For the record, when I used to own a petrol or diesel fuelled car every week I redline and hold the car on 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear to give it a good carbon clear up and ensure the catalytic converter gets as hot as possible to clear off. Usually tend to floor it on 2nd gear to accelerate to speed limit then shift up to 4th or 6th.
Reply 4
These are really two different questions. Revving the engine to get the car going is fine, but if you're touching the carpet with your pedal then you're doing something wrong and need to work on your fine pedal control a bit. Next time you're flooring it, keep on backing off on the throttle until the car actually starts to accelerate more slowly, because that last inch or so of travel is just hopes and dreams and it won't make you go any faster, and it'll probably kill your economy too. I don't think I've ever touched the carpet with the pedal while accelerating in any of my cars, ranging from a 1.4 petrol right up to a 2.5 turbo diesel. It's simply not necessary.
Reply 5
I drive my 1.2 exactly the same as you, but I agree with the above, often the last inch of the pedal makes no difference except using more fuel.
I got a 1.0l corsa and my pain is even worse haha. I don't rev the engine more than 2-2.5k if the engine is cold...I drive a bit and let the gearbox oil and engine oil come to right temp and than I go nuts....my car is nearly 14 years old...It has done 82k miles. I rev it to 5-6k in daily routine as I have to go work at my dads shop using hilly country lanes and need the extra grunt to overtake and have fun

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Vimto39 got it right.:smile:
Reply 8
Not an issue at all and the red line on most cars is there as a safety feature. Most will happily and safely rev beyond the point that the rev limiter kicks in. Now granted if you smash it off the limiter for 15 minutes, that's bad. But changing just before it is perfectly fine day to day.

If you are having issues with the rev range and it not going through the entire range. Does the car have a cable throttle body? It's possible that if so, the cable needs adjusting. Just because a car gets older does not mean the red line changes. Hell my current car is 10 years old and it gets taken to the red line most times I drive it. What's the point in having 400hp if you don't go up to the point in the rev range where it actually is? You don't buy a fast car to pootle around in after all.

From a mechanical point of view, no it's not a bad thing to rev right up to near the red line. They usually go just beyond peak power, not going up to that means you will never see peak power of the engine. There is also the benefit of it helps to blow out some of the carbon that can build up. Look up Italian tune up, basically taking the engine to the rev limiter actually is good for it. In some cases it will get a diesel that is struggling to get through an MOT to pass.
It makes sense only when you have right rpms, at which you have at least 80% of maximum torque rpms and not more than maximum power rpm's. Otherwise it damages the engine (too low rpms) or is not effective (too high rpms)

Original post by Runninground

It's not very fast but it should be fast enough. I drive 9 years old 1.1 liter car and I hardly use maximum power rpms or maximum throttle and it is dynamic enough. Perhaps you should improve condition of your car. Fuel pump, high voltage cables, spark plugs, air filter, oil filter, brake calipers... there are many things that affect performance.
Reply 10
Original post by Nuffles
These are really two different questions. Revving the engine to get the car going is fine, but if you're touching the carpet with your pedal then you're doing something wrong and need to work on your fine pedal control a bit. Next time you're flooring it, keep on backing off on the throttle until the car actually starts to accelerate more slowly, because that last inch or so of travel is just hopes and dreams and it won't make you go any faster, and it'll probably kill your economy too. I don't think I've ever touched the carpet with the pedal while accelerating in any of my cars, ranging from a 1.4 petrol right up to a 2.5 turbo diesel. It's simply not necessary.

Sorry but this is garbage.
The last inch on an auto is your kickdown. So there's a massive boost in acceleration to be found here.

On something with a 4 barrel carb the last inch will be for your secondary jets - so that's going to represent about 50% of available power.

If it didn't do anything, it wouldn't be there.
Reply 11
Can you please elaborate further on what you mean by that? My 998cc is struggling so badly to accelerate on the motorway, not sure if there's a problem going on.
Reply 12
1.8? That's big! I thought 1.3's could handle high speed cruising well.
Reply 13
Original post by Stinkum

LOL! 1.8 isn't anything like "big".

7 litres is big.
Original post by Stinkum
Can you please elaborate further on what you mean by that? My 998cc is struggling so badly to accelerate on the motorway, not sure if there's a problem going on.

Have your foot to the floor and/or change down to 4th when you need to accelerate.

To the OP. It's fine to rag your car a bit just make sure the engine is fully warmed up.
If you rag it around often you'll want to change the oil and filter more.
Original post by Stinkum

1.8 is small.

Try a 3 liter :P. Even then that's not massive.
Original post by JC.
Sorry but this is garbage.
The last inch on an auto is your kickdown. So there's a massive boost in acceleration to be found here.

On something with a 4 barrel carb the last inch will be for your secondary jets - so that's going to represent about 50% of available power.

If it didn't do anything, it wouldn't be there.

I'm assuming the OP is neither driving an auto, or an engine with a 4 barrel carb :rolleyes: I've never owned a car other than the Range Rover where it was worth pushing the throttle in further than needed.
100% acceleration is actually the most fuel-efficient way of accelerating to a given speed. This can pay dividends for actual fuel economy if you are balancing it by releasing the pedal and rolling to a stop for the next traffic light/the correct speed for the car in front. This is easier said than done if other cars are around, if it's busy keep a constant speed.
Reply 18
Original post by Nuffles
I'm assuming the OP is neither driving an auto, or an engine with a 4 barrel carb :rolleyes: I've never owned a car other than the Range Rover where it was worth pushing the throttle in further than needed.

Eh? Every car in the world makes more power at WOT than it does at 90%. ???
Original post by JC.
Eh? Every car in the world makes more power at WOT than it does at 90%. ???

Haha maybe if you've got a torquey V8 under the bonnet, but I can tell you now that if you're in a crappy 1l Yaris and you put your foot to the floor doing 2000rpm in fifth you won't get going any faster than just pushing the throttle until it stops having an affect. Sometimes I put the throttle flat to the floor just to see but it never makes it any faster.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending