The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Aberdeen Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GoingToBurst
If it makes you feel any better, I live at home and haven't had any problems :smile:. Neither have any of my other friends that live at home.

Yeah that does make me feel a little better, it's just that few people from my school are going to Aberdeen and the majority are going to RGU.

I was wondering if you could help me make more sense of the new course choice system. From reading above another person wanted to pick 3 actual subject (geography being the one I remember) alongside their degree, but I was wondering do we have to do the same subject in session 1 and 2? For example, could I take economics one session and management studies the next or do they have to be the same subject?

Thanks for any help:smile:
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Original post by Sarahnassauras
Yeah that does make me feel a little better, it's just that few people from my school are going to Aberdeen and the majority are going to RGU.

I was wondering if you could help me make more sense of the new course choice system. From reading above another person wanted to pick 3 actual subject (geography being the one I remember) alongside their degree, but I was wondering do we have to do the same subject in session 1 and 2? For example, could I take economics one session and management studies the next or do they have to be the same subject?

That'll give you the chance to branch out from your school friends and meet plenty of new ones though :smile:. Will you be driving to and from uni or using public transport?

Of course I can :smile:. It's actually at the course choice area that I'll be working in fresher's week, so I'm more than happy to help you out with that!

For that particular question, it really does vary from subject to subject. For economics and management, having done both of those courses myself I can tell you that you CAN do economics in semester 1 and management in semester 2, but you couldn't do it the other way round because the economics course in semester 2 requires the first economics course as a prerequisite, whereas management does not (from personal experience, don't do management if you don't have to). The course choice system will not allow you to choose courses that you haven't completed the prerequisites for, or that have timetable clashes though, so you don't have to worry about accidentally choosing one that is a bit out of your depth or something :smile:.
That'll give you the chance to branch out from your school friends and meet plenty of new ones though :smile:. Will you be driving to and from uni or using public transport?

Of course I can :smile:. It's actually at the course choice area that I'll be working in fresher's week, so I'm more than happy to help you out with that!

For that particular question, it really does vary from subject to subject. For economics and management, having done both of those courses myself I can tell you that you CAN do economics in semester 1 and management in semester 2, but you couldn't do it the other way round because the economics course in semester 2 requires the first economics course as a prerequisite, whereas management does not (from personal experience, don't do management if you don't have to). The course choice system will not allow you to choose courses that you haven't completed the prerequisites for, or that have timetable clashes though, so you don't have to worry about accidentally choosing one that is a bit out of your depth or something :smile:.

That's true:smile: I'll be taking the bus, I'm too much of a scaredy cat to learn to drive just yet haha!

Well my degree course is History and to go along with it I'd like to do 2 from philosophy and 2 from politics&international relations but for my last 2 I'm really unsure! Many people are now also saying I have to take at least 30 credits worth of a science?Everything is just getting over confused, keep thinking I understand the system then someone else says something otherwise!
That's true:smile: I'll be taking the bus, I'm too much of a scaredy cat to learn to drive just yet haha!

Well my degree course is History and to go along with it I'd like to do 2 from philosophy and 2 from politics&international relations but for my last 2 I'm really unsure! Many people are now also saying I have to take at least 30 credits worth of a science?Everything is just getting over confused, keep thinking I understand the system then someone else says something otherwise!

I was the same, don't worry haha! I'm still terrified of driving to be fair, but just terrified with a license instead. It's rubbish haha!

Where did you hear 30 credits from a science? I'll tell you now that that is absolute nonsense.
For History, your degree will go like this;

First year: 30 credits from level 1 history and/or history of art courses. 90 credits from level 1 courses of your choice. There are NO specifics with this (i.e. science).

Second year: 60 credits from level history and 60 credits from any other courses of your choice (level 1 or level 2, level 1 would mean you could choose to explore other subjects you didn't get to do in first year, level 2 would mean continuing on from some you did in first year).

Third and fourth year: You have 60 credits in 4th year already chosen for you. You need a further 60 credits from level 3 history courses PLUS a further 120 credits of your choice.

No science if you don't want to do science.

You have the option of doing courses called sixth century courses, which are pretty much just little piss-take courses that give you 15 credits. They don't have an exam, so most people flock to them. I didn't do any though and I much preferred the way I did it. Some of the sixth centuries just require you to make a poster every week, but some of them have like, 3 essays or something. My friends that did sixth centuries hated that because although it meant they could focus on their compulsory courses for exam revision, they felt that they couldn't spend as much time as they'd like on the coursework, which is crucial to give you a good base grade before the exam.

It's entirely up to you though! You have the freedom to choose anything (provided it doesn't clash). Also, you have two weeks to change the course if you don't like it. I only had 15 spare credits in each semester in first year, and chose politics & ir, but it turned out I really hated them, so I swapped to management after a week. Turned out I hated that too though haha.
I was the same, don't worry haha! I'm still terrified of driving to be fair, but just terrified with a license instead. It's rubbish haha!

Where did you hear 30 credits from a science? I'll tell you now that that is absolute nonsense.
For History, your degree will go like this;

First year: 30 credits from level 1 history and/or history of art courses. 90 credits from level 1 courses of your choice. There are NO specifics with this (i.e. science).

Second year: 60 credits from level history and 60 credits from any other courses of your choice (level 1 or level 2, level 1 would mean you could choose to explore other subjects you didn't get to do in first year, level 2 would mean continuing on from some you did in first year).

Third and fourth year: You have 60 credits in 4th year already chosen for you. You need a further 60 credits from level 3 history courses PLUS a further 120 credits of your choice.

No science if you don't want to do science.

You have the option of doing courses called sixth century courses, which are pretty much just little piss-take courses that give you 15 credits. They don't have an exam, so most people flock to them. I didn't do any though and I much preferred the way I did it. Some of the sixth centuries just require you to make a poster every week, but some of them have like, 3 essays or something. My friends that did sixth centuries hated that because although it meant they could focus on their compulsory courses for exam revision, they felt that they couldn't spend as much time as they'd like on the coursework, which is crucial to give you a good base grade before the exam.

It's entirely up to you though! You have the freedom to choose anything (provided it doesn't clash). Also, you have two weeks to change the course if you don't like it. I only had 15 spare credits in each semester in first year, and chose politics & ir, but it turned out I really hated them, so I swapped to management after a week. Turned out I hated that too though haha.

Haha, so I know to never get a lift off you!

Well on the "Aberdeen Applicants 2014" facebook page one of the posts said if you were doing a MA degree had to do up to 30 science credit points and vice versa. People (me included now) are also getting confused about the difference between "Enhanced Study" and "Other" as the "Discipline Breath Courses" seem to be every course available in the course catalogue, and so are getting confused as to where they would write each of their credit choices on the course application form.

I did have a look at the sixth century courses but none of them really appealed to me and I'd much rather pick something else - just not quite sure what yet!

Aw no luck! What was your degree?:smile:
Haha, so I know to never get a lift off you!

Well on the "Aberdeen Applicants 2014" facebook page one of the posts said if you were doing a MA degree had to do up to 30 science credit points and vice versa. People (me included now) are also getting confused about the difference between "Enhanced Study" and "Other" as the "Discipline Breath Courses" seem to be every course available in the course catalogue, and so are getting confused as to where they would write each of their credit choices on the course application form.

I did have a look at the sixth century courses but none of them really appealed to me and I'd much rather pick something else - just not quite sure what yet!

Aw no luck! What was your degree?:smile:

I pretty much refuse to drive with anyone else in the car unless it is an emergency. I'm totally fine driving by myself now (still scares me, but I don't panic anymore), but I still can't deal with other people in the car haha.

I do an MA, going into my second year and have never had to do any science. The science degree students/staff would go crazy if they had to have students from all other disciplines taking their courses when they aren't interested/can't do it. Trust me, there are no requirements for anyone to do science haha.

Also, don't worry about the discipline breadth and enhanced study and all of that crap. They make it sound so complicated, but you literally just choose any course available to you that meets your credit requirements. That's it. It would be so much easier for new students if they explained it that way.

There isn't a course application form either. When you log onto the new system it will come up with your compulsory courses (of which you have none in first year), and then the list of other available courses comes up. You just choose from them. You don't have to slot them into enhanced study sections or anything :smile:.

Yeah, the sixth century courses looked miserable to me haha, plus attendance was compulsory and although I wasn't one to skip lectures regularly, I liked knowing that if a lecture was going to be on a particular topic and my other lectures for the day had been cancelled, then I could stay home and work on that stuff rather than go in for an hour or something.

I study accountancy and finance (going into second year), but I'm taking extra credits which means I'm pretty much doing accountancy, finance and economics for as long as I can before having to decide if I want to switch finance with economics. Having a lot of trouble making the decision and no one seems to want to help me hahaha.
I pretty much refuse to drive with anyone else in the car unless it is an emergency. I'm totally fine driving by myself now (still scares me, but I don't panic anymore), but I still can't deal with other people in the car haha.

I do an MA, going into my second year and have never had to do any science. The science degree students/staff would go crazy if they had to have students from all other disciplines taking their courses when they aren't interested/can't do it. Trust me, there are no requirements for anyone to do science haha.

Also, don't worry about the discipline breadth and enhanced study and all of that crap. They make it sound so complicated, but you literally just choose any course available to you that meets your credit requirements. That's it. It would be so much easier for new students if they explained it that way.

There isn't a course application form either. When you log onto the new system it will come up with your compulsory courses (of which you have none in first year), and then the list of other available courses comes up. You just choose from them. You don't have to slot them into enhanced study sections or anything :smile:.

Yeah, the sixth century courses looked miserable to me haha, plus attendance was compulsory and although I wasn't one to skip lectures regularly, I liked knowing that if a lecture was going to be on a particular topic and my other lectures for the day had been cancelled, then I could stay home and work on that stuff rather than go in for an hour or something.

I study accountancy and finance (going into second year), but I'm taking extra credits which means I'm pretty much doing accountancy, finance and economics for as long as I can before having to decide if I want to switch finance with economics. Having a lot of trouble making the decision and no one seems to want to help me hahaha.

Oh thank god, I don't think I could stand doing a science ever again!

So basically the uni has over complicated it all, how nice of them haha. Is it the MyCurriculum website that we pick our choices on that opens in freshers week or something?

I don't think I can help you make your decision - it just comes down to what one you like the best/interests you more. Although I can tell you that I read somewhere accountants have the highest suicide rate...If it was me I'd do finance and economics together rather than accountancy but obviously you're stuck between finance and economics. It also comes down to what you want to do after uni because although they seem to intertwine in certain aspects they do lead to very different careers as you'll already be aware. So good luck deciding haha, still got a while to figure out what you want to do though so wouldn't stress!:smile:
Oh thank god, I don't think I could stand doing a science ever again!

So basically the uni has over complicated it all, how nice of them haha. Is it the MyCurriculum website that we pick our choices on that opens in freshers week or something?

I don't think I can help you make your decision - it just comes down to what one you like the best/interests you more. Although I can tell you that I read somewhere accountants have the highest suicide rate...If it was me I'd do finance and economics together rather than accountancy but obviously you're stuck between finance and economics. It also comes down to what you want to do after uni because although they seem to intertwine in certain aspects they do lead to very different careers as you'll already be aware. So good luck deciding haha, still got a while to figure out what you want to do though so wouldn't stress!:smile:

They still aren't sure when mycurriculum will be made available to returning students, but as far as I'ma ware, new students will have it available at the start of freshers week (could be wrong though!)

Hahaha yeah I've read that about accountants too though, I don't tend to take those statistics to heart though. I think I am going to stick with finance just because of the exemptions I'll get from my chartership exams post-uni, but I'm just really going to miss economics because I really enjoy it.
Original post by Amzith
Can anyone tell me what Aberdeen is like? Also is there any other English students going. I'm a bit scared as I've never been aberdeen before

I've been living in Wales for the past 10 years and I'm going to Aberdeen :smile: (I'm not Welsh by the way, I lived in America for four years and Scotland for 5 years.)

Aidan
Anyone doing economics here this year? :biggrin:
Original post by Holly_Dolly
Anyone staying in hector boece? I'm flat 299? Also good luck to all the English students for your results! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am! I'm in 315!I'm really nervous though as I've read a lot of horror stories about Hector Boece...
Reply 891
Hey Guys,
I'm a new first year student for Law, and the university and everything else is saying that there is no accommodation left so I've been having a bit of a panic. Instead I have been looking for apartments to rent independent flat with other people stuck in the same situation. I am 18yrs old and female from England, most places I've found are £140 per week so the same as student accommodation. Really need to find someone willing to share, very stressed and don't want to have to rent an apartment on my own for the first year. If parents want to talk then just let me know, as this is a little bit strange and didn't expect to be doing this for my first year - just let me know

managed to find an 4 bedroom place for about £100 per week - everything is so close to the uni

As I know, the majority of the student of Aberdeen university is aberdonian, around 65%. The others are the rest of uk, EU, asian and so on.
Original post by ecjames
Hey Guys,
I'm a new first year student for Law, and the university and everything else is saying that there is no accommodation left so I've been having a bit of a panic. Instead I have been looking for apartments to rent independent flat with other people stuck in the same situation. I am 18yrs old and female from England, most places I've found are £140 per week so the same as student accommodation. Really need to find someone willing to share, very stressed and don't want to have to rent an apartment on my own for the first year. If parents want to talk then just let me know, as this is a little bit strange and didn't expect to be doing this for my first year - just let me know

managed to find an 4 bedroom place for about £100 per week - everything is so close to the uni

I have a friend looking to rent out her spare bedroom for £350/month plus shared bills if you can't find anyone willing to share a 4 bed :smile:.
Reply 894
I got a place in Aberdeen however i'm still not sure whether I should go there.
Can some one please tell me whether Aberdeen is good in biochemistry, as that is the course im applying for.
Thank you.
Original post by Amzith
Can anyone tell me what Aberdeen is like? Also is there any other English students going. I'm a bit scared as I've never been aberdeen before

I am English too and I have only been to Aberdeen once which was for the open day. So don't worry, you're not alone!
I am not entirely sure how much it costs to join, but they definitely do trips abroad. I believe it was France last year. Not sure where they went this year, but I know they're heading somewhere in January of 2015.

oh cool! thanks a lot.
Original post by heithm
I got a place in Aberdeen however i'm still not sure whether I should go there.
Can some one please tell me whether Aberdeen is good in biochemistry, as that is the course im applying for.
Thank you.

i was in Aberdeen earlier in the summer. went to the labs and science buildings. they're well equipped and i have heard nothing bad about teaching when i spoke to students. i'm doing medical science and im excited. i think if your other option is better then you should think about that but from what i know,
Aberdeen is very good in the sciences.
hope i helped. :smile:
Reply 898
Original post by sillybee
i was in Aberdeen earlier in the summer. went to the labs and science buildings. they're well equipped and i have heard nothing bad about teaching when i spoke to students. i'm doing medical science and im excited. i think if your other option is better then you should think about that but from what i know,
Aberdeen is very good in the sciences.
hope i helped. :smile:

Thank you.
Another thing I would like to ask is how good can I find a place to live near the university, as all the accommodation is full.
Original post by Madeleine96
Hi guys so as I said before I needed BBB and got AAC and received a call from ABDN admissions today saying I was to wait for the english results and that it was a slim chance of getting in. Do you think this is the case or do they have to say that? I really wanted to go to ABDN for Education (MA).

Hey hope you got in. I was accepted with surprisingly "low" grades so I'm sure you're fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending