The Student Room Group

Is it normal to forget almost everything after you're done with exams?

Obviously you learn everything really well for exams and then start to forget it once they're over, but how much information do you usually retain by the Summer holidays?

Personally I remember very little (and thankfully most of the content never comes up again anyway so it's fine).

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kanra
Obviously you learn everything really well for exams and then start to forget it once they're over, but how much information do you usually retain by the Summer holidays?

Personally I remember very little (and thankfully most of the content never comes up again anyway so it's fine).

Is it normal? Yup
Do i wish i could remeber everything i'd learnt? Yup
However i usually do the 'cramming' last minute revision which means the info is usually only stored in short term memory sooo u forget it pretty quickly. Revising and going over things months in advance would mean you stored more info, but i always leave it too late 🙈
Reply 2
Original post by Sabrina3210
Is it normal? Yup
Do i wish i could remeber everything i'd learnt? Yup
However i usually do the 'cramming' last minute revision which means the info is usually only stored in short term memory sooo u forget it pretty quickly. Revising and going over things months in advance would mean you stored more info, but i always leave it too late 🙈

Story. Of. My. Life.

Do you mind me asking what you study and which year you're in?
Original post by kanra
Story. Of. My. Life.

Do you mind me asking what you study and which year you're in?

LOL IKR? Every year i say 'this time its going to be differnt' .... Never is 😔

I dont mind :smile: im studying pharmacy, going to be strting my 3rd year in a couple weeks
Reply 4
LOL IKR? Every year i say 'this time its going to be differnt' .... Never is 😔

I dont mind :smile: im studying pharmacy, going to be strting my 3rd year in a couple weeks

Oh! Nice! I have a friend studying pharmacy - apparently its very lab and chemistry based as opposed to biology?
Original post by kanra
Oh! Nice! I have a friend studying pharmacy - apparently its very lab and chemistry based as opposed to biology?

Cool 😊 what do u study?
Yhh not much bio but heaps of chem and maths lol
Lets not even talk about labs 😁
Reply 6
Cool 😊 what do u study?
Yhh not much bio but heaps of chem and maths lol
Lets not even talk about labs 😁

I'm studying biochemistry - which has turned out to be heaps of content about various things that really do not seem related to each other...yay for memorising and immediately forgetting :tongue:

And the maths. Oh my god. I did not sign up for maths, but apparently I get to do it anyway...
ye I hardly remember anything from Alevel and GCSE. I just remember fundamental common sense stuff that has practical use mostly. (so not a lot).
Reply 8
Especially painful for someone who doesn't understand maths naturally.
What's an exam even?
[QUOTE="kanra;50284445"]I'm studying biochemistry - which has turned out to be heaps of content about various things that really do not seem related to each other...yay for memorising and immediately forgetting :tongue:

And the maths. Oh my god. I did not sign up for maths, but apparently I get to do it anyway...[/QUOTE

Ooh cool 😊 ive got freinds studying that haha
Im kind of nervous about not rembering all the stuff ive been learning. Shouldn't i remember it all?😁.
GOD the maths 😩😩 SO didnt sign up for it lol but hey ho. That reminds me, i need to strt revising my pharmaceutical calculations
Have to gt min 70% in maths this yr or im doomed! (ie u dont pass) 😭
yeah I think we're kind of forced into this pattern; we have to learn how to take one exam in exactly the way the examiners want then as soon as it's over we have to do the same thing for another one and another and Another. It's like we fill our heads with one set of specific information, then purge when we no longer 'need' it
Original post by Abdul-Karim
What's an exam even?

LOL 😂 dont lie
Reply 13
Original post by ChickenMadness
ye I hardly remember anything from Alevel and GCSE. I just remember fundamental common sense stuff that has practical use mostly. (so not a lot).

Lol, I think that's the issue with my degree. It's all content, that has few links the the rest of the course content, so I just forget it all immediately... :s-smilie:

Original post by haroon77
Especially painful for someone who doesn't understand maths naturally.

I hate maths. Genuinely thought I would never study it again after A levels, but apparently not :frown:

Original post by Abdul-Karim
What's an exam even?

The only reason students care about what they're taught :tongue:
Reply 14
Ooh cool 😊 ive got freinds studying that haha
Im kind of nervous about not rembering all the stuff ive been learning. Shouldn't i remember it all?😁.
GOD the maths 😩😩 SO didnt sign up for it lol but hey ho. That reminds me, i need to strt revising my pharmaceutical calculations
Have to gt min 70% in maths this yr or im doomed! (ie u dont pass) 😭

Idk, in the real world everything is available on the internet at the click of a button...so hopefully not? :tongue:

And woah! Isn't 70% really high for university? I thought 40 was the usual pass mark? :confused:

Original post by + polarity -
yeah I think we're kind of forced into this pattern; we have to learn how to take one exam in exactly the way the examiners want then as soon as it's over we have to do the same thing for another one and another and Another. It's like we fill our heads with one set of specific information, then purge when we no longer 'need' it

Hm, true. Especially with life sciences where it's a lot of completely different content. You'd literally have to be a computer to remember everything over the 3 or 4 years of your course :/
Original post by kanra
Lol, I think that's the issue with my degree. It's all content, that has few links the the rest of the course content, so I just forget it all immediately... :s-smilie:

I hate maths. Genuinely thought I would never study it again after A levels, but apparently not :frown:

The only reason students care about what they're taught :tongue:

I don't how anyone would find Maths fun.
Original post by kanra
Idk, in the real world everything is available on the internet at the click of a button...so hopefully not? :tongue:

And woah! Isn't 70% really high for university? I thought 40 was the usual pass mark? :confused:

Oooh yh truee, and i'll be able to use a calculator! Yay!

It 40% for all the other exams but not maths . this yrs wasnt too bad but its only going to gt harder .
Reply 17
My information storage in my brain is at an all time high during exam period, then in the summer I forget everything, and find it hard to get back into the work routine :frown:

So yeah you're not the only one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by haroon77
I don't how anyone would find Maths fun.

I think I'd enjoy it a lot more if I didn't suck at it, but yeah :tongue:

Oooh yh truee, and i'll be able to use a calculator! Yay!

It 40% for all the other exams but not maths ������. this yrs wasnt too bad but its only going to gt harder ������.

Do you not get calculators in this exam? :O

Original post by 2en1
My information storage in my brain is at an all time high during exam period, then in the summer I forget everything, and find it hard to get back into the work routine :frown:

So yeah you're not the only one

Yeah, I always wonder whether it's worth revising over Summer. It never happens anyway, but I think I'd feel like I'd wasted my holiday if I did :s-smilie:
Reply 19
Original post by kanra
I think I'd enjoy it a lot more if I didn't suck at it, but yeah :tongue:

Do you not get calculators in this exam? :O

Yeah, I always wonder whether it's worth revising over Summer. It never happens anyway, but I think I'd feel like I'd wasted my holiday if I did :s-smilie:

Definitely not worth it! Did a bit of A2 bio and when we covered it in class, still didn't get it!

Maybe it's just me...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending