The Student Room Group

EPQ

Hello! Me and my friend are stressed about our EPQ and are having to lie/waffle through our diary and time line to make it seem like we aren't doing everything last minute. Is this normal? Did anyone else do this?
Reply 1
Yes almost everyone who did epq in my year ended up dropping out or making it through by lying, you’ll be fine
Original post by Tallywally
Hello! Me and my friend are stressed about our EPQ and are having to lie/waffle through our diary and time line to make it seem like we aren't doing everything last minute. Is this normal? Did anyone else do this?

Was a few years ago when I did mine, I think I wrote down the start & end times of when I started my EPQ research but yes I did waffle a bit because I didn't actually write down what I did afterwards :hide: still got an A though :colondollar:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3

I didn't do this but, yes it's normal. You're not supposed lie but they're never going to know since your final draft is printed.

Goodluck!
As someone who has completed the EPQ, doing everything the last minute is actually something you can comment about later in your reflection. Showing that you have learnt to tackle the issue and avoid this over the course of your project would be even better. In the initial progress sections of my production log I lied quite a bit in terms of saying that I have done research on the many subtopics of my essay (only done to please my supervisor and to receive good comments from him) and it worked out okay as I got 50/50 post-moderation.
Reply 6
The problem with the EPQ (in my view) is precisely this requirement to keep a diary and do constant reflections. Like, surely the demonstration of your progress, adaptability, etc is the essay you turn in, not whatever blather you write down in your diary. I, and everyone I know, left it all until the end and wrote some really generic kind of points, and we all did pretty well.
Reply 7
Original post by Tulipbloom
As someone who has completed the EPQ, doing everything the last minute is actually something you can comment about later in your reflection. Showing that you have learnt to tackle the issue and avoid this over the course of your project would be even better. In the initial progress sections of my production log I lied quite a bit in terms of saying that I have done research on the many subtopics of my essay (only done to please my supervisor and to receive good comments from him) and it worked out okay as I got 50/50 post-moderation.

I do plan on saying how I could have improved my method here and there. The majority of my waffling and lying is me saying I did things only a week or two late compared to a whole month late, or something like that😅
Reply 8
Original post by fedora34
The problem with the EPQ (in my view) is precisely this requirement to keep a diary and do constant reflections. Like, surely the demonstration of your progress, adaptability, etc is the essay you turn in, not whatever blather you write down in your diary. I, and everyone I know, left it all until the end and wrote some really generic kind of points, and we all did pretty well.

Don't get me started... everyone I've spoken to feels very similar about it. The actual EPQ itself isn't even that bad and it's actually quite enjoyable but all the admin aspects to it just ruins the whole project. Our supervisor is pretty useless too, she expects us to know everything before she's even explained it properly and then gets annoyed when you ask questions. AS IF ITS ALL SO EASY😂🤣.
Reply 9
Don't get me started... everyone I've spoken to feels very similar about it. The actual EPQ itself isn't even that bad and it's actually quite enjoyable but all the admin aspects to it just ruins the whole project. Our supervisor is pretty useless too, she expects us to know everything before she's even explained it properly and then gets annoyed when you ask questions. AS IF ITS ALL SO EASY😂🤣.

Totally agree. I did mine back in 2012, and I really enjoyed the actual research and the writing of it. But the diary and admin just destroyed my enthusiasm for the process. I have since done a degree, then got a job and written lengthy project reports, now doing a masters with a long dissertation... and I have never once had to "demonstrate my progress" or "reflect on the challenges I faced", or keep a diary to be marked. Absolute waste of time!!
Reply 10
Original post by fedora34
Totally agree. I did mine back in 2012, and I really enjoyed the actual research and the writing of it. But the diary and admin just destroyed my enthusiasm for the process. I have since done a degree, then got a job and written lengthy project reports, now doing a masters with a long dissertation... and I have never once had to "demonstrate my progress" or "reflect on the challenges I faced", or keep a diary to be marked. Absolute waste of time!!

It makes me feel so much better you saying this as I do want to continue doing research and writing dissertations in the future. Can't wait until the EPQ is done and I can finally move on and forget about all the time I have wasted on it😄
Reply 11

YES- everyone does this. Consistence is important, I did this and still got 58/60. Just check things over and when in doubt find the spec, lifesaver.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending