The Student Room Group

Clearing

Hi guys! I’m nervous for tomorrow and had a quick question about the clearing call. How would you start the call e.g. if the person on the call is like why are you calling today, what do I say and how do I state my reasoning for calling. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by hai22
Hi guys! I’m nervous for tomorrow and had a quick question about the clearing call. How would you start the call e.g. if the person on the call is like why are you calling today, what do I say and how do I state my reasoning for calling. Thanks

Hi,
Clearing is all about securing a University place for the upcoming year, so I am sure the call will have a format that the person answering will talk you through. So just be yourself. I am pretty sure the UCAS representative will be equally as nervous as you might be. Write down ALL of your call objectives or any questions you have, before you make the call. Try to explain these questions in the nicest way possible, one at a time.
Good luck!
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by hai22

Original post by amaya244
Hi,
Clearing is all about securing a University place for the upcoming year, so I am sure the call will have a format that the person answering will talk you through. So just be yourself. I am pretty sure the UCAS representative will be equally as nervous as you might be. Write down ALL of your call objectives or any questions you have, before you make the call. Try to explain these questions in the nicest way possible, one at a time.
Good luck!

Hi there :hello:

I agree with this the uni will know why you're calling (they'll almost certainly have a special number!), and ask you for all the info they need. They'll also want to do the call as efficiently as they can. :smile:

Things you would be advised to have to hand:
Your grades
Why you want to study that subject / at that uni (obviously they're not expecting it to be your first choice though, or you would have applied there before today!)
The highlights of your personal statement, just in case they want to know anything
Original post by hai22

Hey there @hai22 !

All you have to say is your name and what course it is you'd like to apply for through clearing. Then you can also give them your A Level results and ask them any questions you may have about the process. They will then tell you what your next steps are and what might happen after your application is submitted. Just remember they're there to help you and no question is a stupid question. They're there to make you feel comfortable about the situation and as you can probably imagine there will be a lot of people who ring them up that have lots of questions and are still unsure so don't worry about anything to do with that.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 4
Make sure you have your UCAS ID -- you'll almost certainly be asked for it.
Original post by hai22

Hi,
First of all, don't panic. The Clearing Helpline team is simply there to help and advise. Start by saying hello and that you're calling to find out more about your options. The advisor will ask you what course you're interested in and then you can discuss your qualifications and what the entry requirements
are to gain a place.
Good luck for tomorrow :smile:
Original post by hai22

Good morning @hai22 :smile:

How are you feeling now? Don't worry nerves are totally normal, it can be super daunting to ring universities but the people on the other end of the phone call will be really friendly and just want to go through your options with you and advise.

Wishing you the very best of luck today, I hope you're super proud of your results no matter the outcome. #BeResultsProud

Becky
Original post by hai22

Hi there, I hope the nerves have calmed down and that you're feeling prepared for today :smile:

If you're calling a clearing hotline then the team will usually know what it is you want to chat about. Have your personal details to hand like your number, email, name, and grades. This might seem obvious but I swear I forget my own name on phone calls!

State the course you're interested in and the team will be able to advise on the next steps based on your details and they will ask any other questions they need to. Something to keep in mind is that they may even suggest a different course for you, but please don't feel like you have to rush into a decision.

It's a pressure-filled day but I hope everything goes well.

Best wishes,

Maddy
WrexhamUniReps
Reply 8
Thank you Maddy! This was helpful and worked
Reply 9
Original post by University of Bradford
Good morning @hai22 :smile:

How are you feeling now? Don't worry nerves are totally normal, it can be super daunting to ring universities but the people on the other end of the phone call will be really friendly and just want to go through your options with you and advise.

Wishing you the very best of luck today, I hope you're super proud of your results no matter the outcome. #BeResultsProud

Becky

Hey Becky, thanks so much! After the calls I feel much better and as you said they were really friendly! You are too nice thank you so so much :smile:))
Original post by hai22
Hey Becky, thanks so much! After the calls I feel much better and as you said they were really friendly! You are too nice thank you so so much :smile:))

Hey @hai22

So glad to hear you're feeling a lot better after making the calls :smile:

Hope you have a fantastic weekend!

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending