The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LeJennifleur
The Sound of Music is always worth it though to be fair :tongue:

:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BrassHi
Weird, I talked about Cloud Atlas a bunch in my PS. It's my favourite book and he's the better David Mitchell (as a Peep Show fan to say that hurts me deeply).

Which quote?

Yesss a fellow fan! It's one of my (very few) favourites too. Influenced me the most :smile:

I had planned to use the "Our lives are not our own" quote since one of the biggest reasons I want to study law is to explore how it affects society. I decided in the end to use more relevant stuff due to the character limit :frown:

Hahah I didn't like Peep Show. What did you talk about? btw, which course/college? I can't remember :frown:
Original post by BrassHi
English/New

Because it was English I talked more generally about the book's themes, and the way they work in conjuncture with Mitchell's style experiments.

Also you are wrong about Peep Show. That is and objective truth except for the fact that it isn't, but I shall still treat it as such.

Wait a minute, are you a New fresher as well? :biggrin:

I'd love to read what you wrote. I'm very good at thinking it out but have no idea how to express it to someone else!

Well to be fair I only watched 2 episodes so maybe I can be convinced to take it up again...
Original post by JamesJones777
Course: Oriental Studies (Chinese)
College: Wadham
GCSEs: A*AAAABBBC
A Level Subjects: French, German, Sociology
Grades: BBB
Anything else relevant: Extenuating circumstances during AS and GCSE, Studying Russian GCSE, Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Level; aiming for A*. (too lazy too add about further reading and extra curriculars :smile: )
Home/International Candidate: Home (Wales)

Hey, I have decided to try Chinese at Oxford as well. :smile: Do you know how long will it take them to reply us? I'm quite impatient :/ Thanks!
Hey there! I'm applying to Oxford as well and I was wondering if some of you know how long it will take them to reply. I am not such a patient girl :wink:

Course: Chinese (4 years)
College: Open Application

I'm from Italy so I will have different qualifications. Bye for now!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lauraforneris1
Hey there! I'm applying to Oxford as well and I was wondering if some of you know how long it will take them to reply. I am not such a patient girl :wink:

Course: Chinese (4 years)
College: St Hugh’s

I'm from Italy so I will have different qualifications. Bye for now!

You won't hear from Oxford til about late November. That's when you will hear whether you've got an interview or not :yes:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You won't hear from Oxford til about late November. That's when you will hear whether you've got an interview or not :yes:

Many thanks. So every applicant who has been taken into consideration will be asked an interview?
Many thanks. So every applicant who has been taken into consideration will be asked an interview?

No, only those they wish to interview will be invited. The statistics/percentages vary from subject to subject, especially where there are pre-interview tests. I think rough 70-something % of people who apply are interviewed, but that percentage is from when I was there (which was a while ago!).

86% are interviewed so your chances are pretty high. If they like your written work and your grades are good then you should be invited :smile:

It is worth adding, you can't apply to St. Hughs for Oriental Studies...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lucilou101
86% are interviewed so your chances are pretty high. If they like your written work and your grades are good then you should be invited :smile:

It is worth adding, you can't apply to St. Hughs for Oriental Studies...

Yes, sorry. I have made a mistake :colondollar: I have just corrected it
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey, I have decided to try Chinese at Oxford as well. :smile: Do you know how long will it take them to reply us? I'm quite impatient :/ Thanks!

I haven't sent my application off yet, I'm aiming to get it sent off by Thursday.
I haven't sent my application off yet, I'm aiming to get it sent off by Thursday.

Sooo early... I'm sending mine next week :rolleyes:
Original post by peterith
Sooo early... I'm sending mine next week :rolleyes:

I have everything sorted like my other choices, details etc except for the personal statement, I'm on my ninth draft, I have one thing left to change and 200 characters to get rid of.
I have everything sorted like my other choices, details etc except for the personal statement, I'm on my ninth draft, I have one thing left to change and 200 characters to get rid of.

I have everything sorted too! Except for a reference, my tutor is too busy :smile: I don't want to push him too much haha
Original post by peterith
I have everything sorted too! Except for a reference, my tutor is too busy :smile: I don't want to push him too much haha

I think my form teacher has already done mine. Yeah I always feel guilty when I ask teachers to use their free time :smile:
Well if you think you can get almost full score for bmat it might be worth a try

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted this while ago, but no one answered, anyways, here it is:
Hey, what do you think are my odds of getting an offer/interviewed at oxford for engineering science?

Physics AS: A in module 1( mechanics), A in module 2 and C in the coursework (retaking it)
A level maths: A in C1, C2, C3 A*in C4 and B in S1 and M1 (feel like M1 will let me down) got A overall ( 1 percent off A*) so retaking C3
Economics: C in first unit and E in second ( with D overall)
Doing whole FM next year and dropping econ
Predicted A*A*A*
Personal statement: pretty good, read lots of books, showed passion, did some work experience and attended many lectures
Got a good referee letter because my teachers really like me.
No GCSE's, I was in a different school system before so didn't do any.
Yet to do the PAT
Original post by john__123
Posted this while ago, but no one answered, anyways, here it is:
Hey, what do you think are my odds of getting an offer/interviewed at oxford for engineering science?

Physics AS: A in module 1( mechanics), A in module 2 and C in the coursework (retaking it)
A level maths: A in C1, C2, C3 A*in C4 and B in S1 and M1 (feel like M1 will let me down) got A overall ( 1 percent off A*) so retaking C3
Economics: C in first unit and E in second ( with D overall)
Doing whole FM next year and dropping econ
Predicted A*A*A*
Personal statement: pretty good, read lots of books, showed passion, did some work experience and attended many lectures
Got a good referee letter because my teachers really like me.
No GCSE's, I was in a different school system before so didn't do any.
Yet to do the PAT

The PAT will be probably be what decides if you get an interview.
What is Oxford's view on using quotes in Personal statements?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RyaanL97
What is Oxford's view on using quotes in Personal statements?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Generally for any university, you shouldn't do it. Quotes waste valuable space! Plus it's unlikely that at this point in your life, you'll have anything profound to say relating to the quote :dontknow:

That's not to say of course that if you use a quote, your statement goes in the bin. People get in every year with quotes - it's just so often, that the space used for a quote could have been put to much better use :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending