The Student Room Group

Regretting the decision to withdraw university application

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cole-slaw
I would probably wait until you really know for sure what you want to do before going to uni. There is absolutely no harm in waiting until you make up your mind.

I know, but thank you for reminding me :smile:
Original post by techgeekgirl
Thanks, I really needed to read that. I always worry people are going to say it's a Mickey Mouse course, but I love film. I want to learn, and study about something, so why not film?I just worry that people will think I'm wasting my time.

I really needed to see that, thanks again :smile:

No worries, if you ever want to chat about it send me a message! I'm in the same boat completely, wanting to do an ultra specific degree because it interests me. Too many people do degrees in things that bore them, they don't put the work in, come out with a low quality degree and end up in a dead end job again. Sometimes I actually avoid telling people what degree I want to do but then I think nah, **** that, the degree exists for a reason. The fact that it exists means it's worth doing. Also, EVERYONE does medicine, maths, engineering etc....these so called 'mickey mouse' degrees have less competition which means if you excel in the field you can really stand out.
Original post by livvyf95
Hi,
I also last year went to University, I studied Criminology and Sociology. Leaving sixth form I had good grades but didn't really feel excited about Uni and didn't have any passion for my course. I didn't enjoy my course and looking back now Uni was the wrong option for me at the time, I wasn't ready mentally or emotionally, so I left. At the beginning I was down and embarrassed about withdrawing, but after my year off I have had a chance to work and make some money, volunteer and also travel a little. But I agree I haven't found a job that I can see myself wanting to progress in mostly they are just for earning money. I am now seriously considering going back to Uni to do primary teaching. I do have an interest in working with children and have volunteered for experience. But I have always been interested in Film, Television and Media. I enjoy reading, watching and learning anything about films and the whole industry. I am torn between choosing between teaching (which seems more of a definite career option) or film studies. Have you any advice on what it was like as a course? I am worried of choosing film studies and not being able to cope, because I was not able to take media or any film related course at my high school :smile:???

I'm sorry but I don't know what it was like as a course, because I withdrew on results day. But I think if you enjoy something, you should study, or if you want to be a teacher, think about why, and if you want to do that, do it. I'm sorry I'm not much help.
Original post by xleoanimusx
No worries, if you ever want to chat about it send me a message! I'm in the same boat completely, wanting to do an ultra specific degree because it interests me. Too many people do degrees in things that bore them, they don't put the work in, come out with a low quality degree and end up in a dead end job again. Sometimes I actually avoid telling people what degree I want to do but then I think nah, **** that, the degree exists for a reason. The fact that it exists means it's worth doing. Also, EVERYONE does medicine, maths, engineering etc....these so called 'mickey mouse' degrees have less competition which means if you excel in the field you can really stand out.

Thanks, I know, I think some people just do a degree because it'll get them a job, but if I'm going to pay £9000 a year for three years, I'll want to pay for a degree I'm actually interested in. :smile:
I have an update, job wise.

Last thursday night, my gran came up to my house and told me that the person who runs one of the pubs in my village is willing to give me a chance and do dishwashing in the kitchen. So I went down on the Friday to talk to him, and I have a job trial tomorrow during the day, and Friday night.

At first, I was happy. But now I really don't want the job. I go from worrying about not doing well, to not wanting to take the job, to actually wanting to do it. I'm so conflicted. The only reason why I'm considering it is because of the money. Then again, they have to see how I cope during my trial to see if I can handle the rush. I'm also becoming a little bit more depressed because of this, and I don't want the job but I'll have to take it if I get through the job trial.

Last thursday night, my gran came up to my house and told me that the person who runs one of the pubs in my village is willing to give me a chance and do dishwashing in the kitchen. So I went down on the Friday to talk to him, and I have a job trial tomorrow during the day, and Friday night.

At first, I was happy. But now I really don't want the job. I go from worrying about not doing well, to not wanting to take the job, to actually wanting to do it. I'm so conflicted. The only reason why I'm considering it is because of the money. Then again, they have to see how I cope during my trial to see if I can handle the rush. I'm also becoming a little bit more depressed because of this, and I don't want the job but I'll have to take it if I get through the job trial.

Most people are conflicted, nervous, excited and a whole range of emotions during the first day of a new job, let alone a first job.

Don't forget even in the worst case scenario of you only last a day or two at the job, you needn't tell anybody you ever worked there. If you try and find it doesn't work out, it isn't going to change in any way your ability to get another job. There is also the benefit that you will have done it once and therefore know something of what to expect in future.

Working also has a proven benefit towards encouraging good mental health.

As for moving on afterwards, generally speaking, it is easier to get a job when you already have one. And far easier to get one when you have worked before. Getting a job is a means to getting a better job.
One thing we would definitely recommend is going to an Open Day! Even at some local universities if travel is a bit of a problem, as you don't have to apply to attend one but usually all courses are represented and you can speak to subject-specific academics/students and pick up course-specific handouts that you might not otherwise get.

At Northumbria we have student reps from each course to give prospective students their experiences of university, but it also gives you a feel for the university as a whole.

Hope this helps!

Sarah
Original post by Northumbria University
One thing we would definitely recommend is going to an Open Day! Even at some local universities if travel is a bit of a problem, as you don't have to apply to attend one but usually all courses are represented and you can speak to subject-specific academics/students and pick up course-specific handouts that you might not otherwise get.

At Northumbria we have student reps from each course to give prospective students their experiences of university, but it also gives you a feel for the university as a whole.

Hope this helps!

Sarah

Thanks for the reply!

I was intending to go to Northumbria, but I got scared and didn't go. I've also been to an open day, but I might go to one next summer to see if there are any courses I want to apply for.
Thanks for the reply!

I was intending to go to Northumbria, but I got scared and didn't go. I've also been to an open day, but I might go to one next summer to see if there are any courses I want to apply for.

Hi techgeekgirl,

That's great to hear. Our summer Open Days are on the 26th and 27th June 2015 and it'd be great to see you there!

Mike
Original post by Northumbria University
Hi techgeekgirl,

That's great to hear. Our summer Open Days are on the 26th and 27th June 2015 and it'd be great to see you there!

Mike

Thanks! I'll write those dates down.

Hopefully by then I have an idea of what I want to do, haha!

How did the trial go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Coffeetime
How did the trial go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Horrible. I wanted to kill myself. And I wasn't fast enough. And I nearly past out from the heat. I can't work in kitchens. I'm not suited for work in kitchens. And the amount of grease in the floor I nearly slipped over several times whilst carrying clean dishes to where they're stored. I mean the people who work there were nice, but I just didn't fit. I know I should have stuck it out but I would have became more miserable. It didn't interest me at all. And I was sick of being treated like an idiot.
you could have tried different shoes the next day that wouldn't slip as much. You'd get faster with time as everyone is slow at first. Everyone has to be given instructon at first, that isn't being treated like an idiot.You'd also get used to the heat and could have worn something lighter the next day with a heavy jacket or coat to wear home.

Stick things out and you get better at them and less miserable.
Original post by parentlurker
you could have tried different shoes the next day that wouldn't slip as much. You'd get faster with time as everyone is slow at first. Everyone has to be given instructon at first, that isn't being treated like an idiot.You'd also get used to the heat and could have worn something lighter the next day with a heavy jacket or coat to wear home.

Stick things out and you get better at them and less miserable.

No, I was told what to do by the other staff members, but then one of them who I didn't meet on the first day of my trial, was showing me how to do basic stuff, like cleaning a knife. I'm not an idiot, I know how to clean a knife. I understand about the stuff like containers which had raw meat or fish in, but a knife, come on.

With the being slow at first, I won't have gotten faster, I'm slow when I'm washing the dishes. I like to have a plate entirely clean before I move onto the next one.

All I wore during those two days was black trousers, a short sleeved black t shirt and black trainers, as I was told to wear those. I had to buy black trainers a day or two before my trial as I didn't own any black trainers and I was told they were the most suitable for the job.

And I know I'll have to do horrible jobs which will make me miserable, but I can't work in a kitchen. My mum works in a cafe, and my sister used to work in a cafe, but I'm not like them, I'm not cut out for it.

At the end of it, I wanted to die.
I went on an expensive cookery course, they showed us all how to clean our chpping board. New medical students get a lesson on hand washing. Most people dont clean thoroughly enough.

You need to change your attitude.
Reply 35
Knifes are dangerous . You need to clean them safely - you can't leave them in a bowl of water for example. So being shown how to do it is essential for the kitchen to meet their health and safety obligations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by parentlurker
I went on an expensive cookery course, they showed us all how to clean our chpping board. New medical students get a lesson on hand washing. Most people dont clean thoroughly enough.

You need to change your attitude.

I'll try to change my attitude, but can I tell you one thing? I don't want to work in a ****ing kitchen. I don't want to work in a pub, a cafe or a restaurant.
Original post by Juno
Knifes are dangerous . You need to clean them safely - you can't leave them in a bowl of water for example. So being shown how to do it is essential for the kitchen to meet their health and safety obligations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know they have to meet their health and safety obligations but I would have gone mad working there.
I'll try to change my attitude, but can I tell you one thing? I don't want to work in a ****ing kitchen. I don't want to work in a pub, a cafe or a restaurant.

Not everyone is meant for the same job. The right job will come along.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Coffeetime
Not everyone is meant for the same job. The right job will come along.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I have been trying to tell people that. My friend keeps suggesting that I should that I should work in a pub, but I keep telling her I don't want to.

My advisor at the jobcentre doesn't like that I'm looking for office or retail jobs when I don't really want to do those jobs, but it's the only way I'll be able to get off jobseekers allowance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending