The Student Room Group

Gap year and Thoughts

I’ve been accepted into university for this year’s admission through clearing due to me not getting into the others. I am not sure if I would even like to go anymore. I have been offered an unconditional offer, applied for student finance, searched for accommodation. More and more problems keep occurring and it is putting me off going. I get very anxious when the whole thought of University comes up. Ever since I got rejected from all the other universities, I obviously had a plan B and I stuck to that plan until I got the unconditional. But ever since, I’ve gotten the unconditional I’ve been very unsure about it ever since which I don’t think it’s good to be unsure. My parents are not listening to me or thinking about my mental health. I’ll be moving so far away from home to end up being alone. I’d like to take a gap year and focus on saving up a little bit more money.
I am really confused on whether to withdraw my whole application and apply next year. There is no place on my UCAS application to defer. I’m also confused on what to do about my student finance?

What do I do?
(edited 8 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

I suggest that you accept your unconditional offer and go to university.
You are facing problems that majority of people faces when they go to university. You can't just decide not to go to university because you don't want to deal with problems that comes with it. What would you do if you face problems in your gap year? Are you just going to give up on your gap year because you don't want to deal with your problems? Are you going to university after your gap year? Doesn't that mean you would have to deal with the same problems a year later?

That fact that you stuck to your plan B and got your unconditional offer shows that you are strong and can get through your problems. Being unsure about your unconditional offer is normal. It's very likely that you may not end up working in the same field as your degree. The only way to find out whether you will like your degree is to go to university.
Can you get in contact with the University's welfare team or the student union for support over your anxiety? They will be very used to students arriving and feeling overwhelmed
Original post by kookyseahorse05
I’ve been accepted into university for this year’s admission through clearing due to me not getting into the others. I am not sure if I would even like to go anymore. I have been offered an unconditional offer, applied for student finance, searched for accommodation. More and more problems keep occurring and it is putting me off going. I get very anxious when the whole thought of University comes up. Ever since I got rejected from all the other universities, I obviously had a plan B and I stuck to that plan until I got the unconditional. But ever since, I’ve gotten the unconditional I’ve been very unsure about it ever since which I don’t think it’s good to be unsure. My parents are not listening to me or thinking about my mental health. I’ll be moving so far away from home to end up being alone. I’d like to take a gap year and focus on saving up a little bit more money.
I am really confused on whether to withdraw my whole application and apply next year. There is no place on my UCAS application to defer. I’m also confused on what to do about my student finance?

What do I do?

What are your parents saying? If they suggest that you go to university, they might be able to give you some support. It's important that you are on good terms with your parents

What do I do?

Are you happy with the course you have chosen or is that an issue too? Don't worry about your student finance, if you don't enrol it isn't paid. You would reapply next year if you take a gap year. :console:
Reply 5
You can't defer a Clearing place - its totally designed to fill this year's spaces.

If you are not 100% sure you want to go to Uni this year, step back, decline the place. Nowhere does it say you can only go to Uni straight from school. Uni will always be there - so next year, 5 years time or whenever you feel its the right time.

Do something else for a year - get a job (any job), an apprenticeship or look at college courses.
Then decide what you really want to do next. That might be Uni but it doesnt matter if it isnt.
Original post by normaw
Are you happy with the course you have chosen or is that an issue too? Don't worry about your student finance, if you don't enrol it isn't paid. You would reapply next year if you take a gap year. :console:

If i am being honest, this was not my first choice- I chose to learn to become a physiotherapist and I got rejected from all the Unis I applied too.
Original post by Shelly Wang
What are your parents saying? If they suggest that you go to university, they might be able to give you some support. It's important that you are on good terms with your parents

My mum thinks I should go and my dad thinks I should look for somewhere more closer and relatively affordable.My mum also thinks that if we go look at the accommodation my mind could change so she wouldn’t like me to make any decisions yet.
(edited 8 months ago)
I suggest that you accept your unconditional offer and go to university.
You are facing problems that majority of people faces when they go to university. You can't just decide not to go to university because you don't want to deal with problems that comes with it. What would you do if you face problems in your gap year? Are you just going to give up on your gap year because you don't want to deal with your problems? Are you going to university after your gap year? Doesn't that mean you would have to deal with the same problems a year later?

That fact that you stuck to your plan B and got your unconditional offer shows that you are strong and can get through your problems. Being unsure about your unconditional offer is normal. It's very likely that you may not end up working in the same field as your degree. The only way to find out whether you will like your degree is to go to university.

I would get a job that gives me experience within the healthcare sector while also gaining money at the same time so I would not have to worry quite a lot about it. Most of my worry right now is about the money. So then I will apply next year with a clear understanding and mindset about what I would like to do with less stress.
Original post by McGinger
You can't defer a Clearing place - its totally designed to fill this year's spaces.

If you are not 100% sure you want to go to Uni this year, step back, decline the place. Nowhere does it say you can only go to Uni straight from school. Uni will always be there - so next year, 5 years time or whenever you feel its the right time.

Do something else for a year - get a job (any job), an apprenticeship or look at college courses.
Then decide what you really want to do next. That might be Uni but it doesnt matter if it isnt.

Do I just go to UCAS and press decline? So then what does it mean for the student finance? Does the application get left on hold? Should I cancel it? I am going to look for a job in the healthcare sector to build up my money first then go to uni with less stress on my shoulders.
Do I just go to UCAS and press decline? So then what does it mean for the student finance? Does the application get left on hold? Should I cancel it? I am going to look for a job in the healthcare sector to build up my money first then go to uni with less stress on my shoulders.

If you really want to do physio (or another healthcare course) then taking a gap year and getting public-facing work experience is a good choice. There is no point taking a course you are not sure about.

When you are absolutely sure that this is the right decision, then you can click the 'Decline my place' button. You can log in to your student finance account and cancel your application as it is for this year (you will need to apply again for 2024).
Original post by normaw
If you really want to do physio (or another healthcare course) then taking a gap year and getting public-facing work experience is a good choice. There is no point taking a course you are not sure about.

When you are absolutely sure that this is the right decision, then you can click the 'Decline my place' button. You can log in to your student finance account and cancel your application as it is for this year (you will need to apply again for 2024).

I’ve tried to decline the place on UCAS but it’s changed to 2024 applications. I can’t find where to decline my place cause it’s changed.
I’ve tried to decline the place on UCAS but it’s changed to 2024 applications. I can’t find where to decline my place cause it’s changed.

Call UCAS so that you can explain what you're seeing on your account.
I would get a job that gives me experience within the healthcare sector while also gaining money at the same time so I would not have to worry quite a lot about it. Most of my worry right now is about the money. So then I will apply next year with a clear understanding and mindset about what I would like to do with less stress.

Aren't you worried you might not get a job in your gap year? I'm worried that it might be difficult for you to apply next year.
My mum thinks I should go and my dad thinks I should look for somewhere more closer and relatively affordable.My mum also thinks that if we go look at the accommodation my mind could change so she wouldn’t like me to make any decisions yet.

What would your parents do if you decide to take a gap year? Are they just not going to help you at all?
Going to a university you don't want to go to for a course you don't want to do is a recipe for disaster, so taking a gap year is probably the best choice for you, if I understood you correctly. You're lucky that the healthcare sector is desperate for people so finding a job shouldn't be a big issue (care homes and domiciliary care companies in particular are perpetually hiring).

Once you decide to take a gap year, log on to student finance to cancel the loan and try to withdraw from UCAS - I see you've had a bit of a problem with that, so you can also call your university and tell them you've changed your mind and won't be attending this year! Hope this helps.
Original post by normaw
Call UCAS so that you can explain what you're seeing on your account.

I have managed to do that and solve the issue. :smile:)
What would your parents do if you decide to take a gap year? Are they just not going to help you at all?

They said that they will support me through anything
Aren't you worried you might not get a job in your gap year? I'm worried that it might be difficult for you to apply next year.

That is also my fear but I am willing to take the plunge and the chance if it puts my mind at ease.
That is also my fear but I am willing to take the plunge and the chance if it puts my mind at ease.

If that's the case then you do what suits you the best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending