The Student Room Group

if I withdraw my application in ucas ,can I enter the Clearing process?

Hello, everyone.
I'm not a native English speaker, so the grammar may be wrong:frown:

I'm a non-EU international student and I got a conditional offer from UCL this year.

Unfortunately my final IB exam results didn't meet UCL's condition. Currently I want to attend Edinburgh University so I have to enter the clearing process.(My insurance offer is kcl) If I withdraw the application of UCL, can I enter UCAS clearing?
Original post by Stella727
Hello, everyone.

I'm a non-EU international student and I got a conditional offer from UCL this year.

Unfortunately my final IB exam results didn't meet UCL's condition. Currently I want to attend Edinburgh University so I have to enter the clearing process.(My insurance offer is kcl) If I withdraw the application of UCL, can I enter UCAS clearing?

Yes assuming Edinburgh will have the course in clearing. However be careful as most years Edinburgh only have a few courses in clearing. You would need to withdraw your insurance before you can use clearing.
Hello, everyone.

You can’t withdraw your application at this stage in the cycle. If you do it will completely withdraw you from ucas - including clearing.

Have you asked UCL when they will make a decision?
you need your firm/insurance universities to make a decision on your application before you can use clearing.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
You can’t withdraw your application at this stage in the cycle. If you do it will completely withdraw you from ucas - including clearing.

Have you asked UCL when they will make a decision?
you need your firm/insurance universities to make a decision on your application before you can use clearing.

They said to wait for alevel to come out with scores, but then there will be more people competing with me. Should I currently ask with them to DECLINE me, right?
They said to wait for alevel to come out with scores, but then there will be more people competing with me. Should I currently ask with them to DECLINE me, right?

You can ask them for a decision before then. Make it clear that you would prefer to be rejected now than wait until A level results day.

Unfortunately you can’t force the situation. It’s at their discretion.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
You can ask them for a decision before then. Make it clear that you would prefer to be rejected now than wait until A level results day.

Unfortunately you can’t force the situation. It’s at their discretion.

I see. Thank you.o(^_^)o
Hello, everyone.

Note that it's worth bearing in mind the reason they are advising to wait until results day is that universities do have the discretion to accept people who narrowly missed the conditions of their offer. So if you wait until results day depending on what your results were, it is possible UCL may still accept you.

Also note that the majority of courses in clearing don't get added until A-level results day. There are some courses in clearing between IB results day and A-level results day, but there will be far more on A-level results day you won't see until then.

Therefore whether you ask UCL to decline you now (note you'd also need to have failed to meet the requirement of your insurance offer or go through the same process with them) or wait until results day isn't likely to make much material difference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending