The Student Room Group

URGET need advice on resitting a levels

Hi so this is a very last resort type of situation. I got ABB in my a levels doing bio, english and chem. Having applied for biology last year I have decided I am not passionate about it and want to pursue law. I have a place secured at Cardiff university but I am concerned about the ranking and how that will affect my future career prospects. I can admit I feel like I slacked off slightly towards the end of exam season and maybe didn't put in as much work as I know I could have. This is why I am so undecided about whether to go to Cardiff or resit and apply to a university like Bristol which was my aim initially. I would like some advice on whether the university you attend really matters that much for an aspiring solicitor and would like some insight on what people would do in my situation. For some more context I would have to resit english and chemistry (I was quite disappointed in the B in english especially having got full marks on coursework and paper one but I messed up paper 2 and that brought my entire grade down). Chemistry has been a bit of a challenge for me but I was consistently getting Ds in year 12 and managed to improve to a B so would an A be feasible? Any help much appreciated as I have to make this decision this week! And yes I know I left it last minute.
Reply 1
Hi there,
It sounds like you're in a tough spot, but don't worry - you're definitely not alone. Many students change their minds about their chosen degree during or after A levels. It's important to remember that your university degree is just one part of your overall career journey, and many people end up in successful careers that are not directly related to their degree.

In terms of university ranking, it's true that some employers may take this into consideration when hiring, but it's not the only factor they look at. Your work experience, extracurricular activities, and personal skills and qualities will also play a big role in your future career prospects.

As for whether you should resit and aim for a higher-ranked university, that's ultimately up to you. It's important to consider whether this is something you truly want, or if you're just feeling pressured into it. Remember that university is a big commitment, both financially and time-wise, so it's important to make a decision that is right for you.

Resitting can certainly be challenging, but it's not impossible. If you are willing to put in the work and effort, there is no reason why you can't achieve the grades you need to apply to your preferred university.

At the end of the day, your degree is just one part of your overall career journey. What's most important is that you're passionate about what you're studying and that you're dedicated to working hard to achieve your goals. Best of luck with your decision!

Hope you have a safe day mate.
Reply 2
Original post by FAZE_KAYE
Hi there,
It sounds like you're in a tough spot, but don't worry - you're definitely not alone. Many students change their minds about their chosen degree during or after A levels. It's important to remember that your university degree is just one part of your overall career journey, and many people end up in successful careers that are not directly related to their degree.

In terms of university ranking, it's true that some employers may take this into consideration when hiring, but it's not the only factor they look at. Your work experience, extracurricular activities, and personal skills and qualities will also play a big role in your future career prospects.

As for whether you should resit and aim for a higher-ranked university, that's ultimately up to you. It's important to consider whether this is something you truly want, or if you're just feeling pressured into it. Remember that university is a big commitment, both financially and time-wise, so it's important to make a decision that is right for you.

Resitting can certainly be challenging, but it's not impossible. If you are willing to put in the work and effort, there is no reason why you can't achieve the grades you need to apply to your preferred university.

At the end of the day, your degree is just one part of your overall career journey. What's most important is that you're passionate about what you're studying and that you're dedicated to working hard to achieve your goals. Best of luck with your decision!

Hope you have a safe day mate.

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it! The main reason why I want to resit is because of the financial implications and I want to go somewhere that would be worth the student debt later on.
Original post by sadbutbad443
Thanks for the advice I appreciate it! The main reason why I want to resit is because of the financial implications and I want to go somewhere that would be worth the student debt later on.

Check I believe Bristol requires LNAT as well.
Reply 4

Hi, Im in the same situation, last minute resit idea, because im not too keen on the uni im accepted at, and i missed my firm choice by 3 marks and got a C (as i needed BBB but got BBC). Im going to ring my the uni that i want to go and ask if they allow resits, and if they do im going to withdraw from my insurance uni and take a gap year/ resit (externally), and find some sort of job/ experience.
Reply 5
If you're confident that resitting will allow you to achieve better grades and get into a higher-ranked university with more opportunities, then it might be worth considering. However, if you feel that you could still have success and achieve your goals at Cardiff University, then it might be a better option for you to save money and pursue your degree there.

Ultimately, it's important to do what's best for you and your future career goals. Consider your options carefully, weigh the pros and cons, and allow yourself time to make a decision that you feel confident and comfortable with. Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
Check I believe Bristol requires LNAT as well.

Yes it does, I'd have to do it for the first time this year as I didn't take it last year.
Reply 7
Original post by Ahmed4433
Hi, Im in the same situation, last minute resit idea, because im not too keen on the uni im accepted at, and i missed my firm choice by 3 marks and got a C (as i needed BBB but got BBC). Im going to ring my the uni that i want to go and ask if they allow resits, and if they do im going to withdraw from my insurance uni and take a gap year/ resit (externally), and find some sort of job/ experience.

Yes I'm calling up universities tomorrow just so I know that if I do choose to resit they won't discriminate against resit applicants. Good luck to you!
Reply 8
Original post by FAZE_KAYE
If you're confident that resitting will allow you to achieve better grades and get into a higher-ranked university with more opportunities, then it might be worth considering. However, if you feel that you could still have success and achieve your goals at Cardiff University, then it might be a better option for you to save money and pursue your degree there.

Ultimately, it's important to do what's best for you and your future career goals. Consider your options carefully, weigh the pros and cons, and allow yourself time to make a decision that you feel confident and comfortable with. Good luck!

Thanks I appreciate the advice!
Reply 9
Yes I'm calling up universities tomorrow just so I know that if I do choose to resit they won't discriminate against resit applicants. Good luck to you!

yeah im doing that too, my uni starts tomorrow so im gunno ask if i could withdraw, take a gap year and ask if i could have a deferred entry (just incase) for next year. Insha Allah the uni of choice allows for resit applicants.
Reply 10
Original post by Ahmed4433
yeah im doing that too, my uni starts tomorrow so im gunno ask if i could withdraw, take a gap year and ask if i could have a deferred entry (just incase) for next year. Insha Allah the uni of choice allows for resit applicants.

Good luck did you manage to withdraw?
Reply 11
Good luck did you manage to withdraw?

I didn't withdraw I just got a deferred entry for next year, which I can probably cancel depending on the grades I get for the resit.

Quick Reply

Latest