The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

PGCE 2014 Applicants QUB (Queen's University Belfast)

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone had an offer of an interview yet for PGCE with Biology?
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Good luck hearing back Kerry x

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied for Secondary English last year, was not successful so trying again this year plus a whole load of universities in England Wales and Scotland.

BUT still havent got an interview yet. I will be really disappointed if I dont get an interview again even though I have gone away and got two jobs in education.

Plus, I found the QUB interview pretty relaxed last year just being asked questions from two people, compared to the all day interviews that happen else where!
(edited 9 years ago)
EnglishGrad93 what exactly were you asked? Was it more informal than formal? Some interviews I see are being asked to prepare short presentations but none of my correspondence with the School of Education has mentioned anything like that. I worry that my knowledge base isn't up to scratch, I've been out of uni for a long time and even longer since school! I know I will be asked why I want to be a teacher and what makes a good teacher, and I'm trying to keep abreast of all current educational issues in case they ask my opinion on that too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
From reading this forum I have gone from being really rather nervous to having no hope at all. If there are only ten places and the people they are accepting have worked for long periods as a TA then what chance do I have with my week long observation? I can honestly say without hyperbole that this is one of the most difficult experiences I've ever gone through. I'm trying to imagine the relief I will feel if Queen's accept me but at the same time the disappointment will be absolutely crushing. I'm sure like many of you I have no fall back plan. I've already applied once for the this course and been unsuccessful. If it is a no this time I'm not sure what to do as I can't afford to waste another year for applications to reopen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you applied for English too? I suppose you must have with a name like yours!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! I've applied for the pgce in biology and haven't heard anything yet. I thought there would be more people on this talking about 2015 entry but can't find anything.
Just got home and have an interview again for English at QUB! Lets hope 2nd time goes better! Or at least reserve list would be good.

There is no information on format from what I can see, so will have to see what happens!
(edited 9 years ago)
Dont be worrying! Just drop any experience you have had into your answer!
Englishgrad are you Friday 23rd too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
KM it's a pretty small community here so ask or vent about anything! It's good to be talking to people in similar situations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No I am 20th! And from what I am reading you got your letter before me! So exactly a week to get sorted.
Clearly admissions think I need more time to prepare! (They're probably right.) :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are your surnames? Wonder if theyre sending them out alphabetically. Clinging on to anything here lol
Clarke, Becca. I wouldn't worry about alphabetically. It's probably totally random.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 275
Just got an offer of an interview for English (queens) next week! Only a week to prepare but actually feeling quite excited! 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well done! How are you going to prepare?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 277
Thank you 😁

I think the only thing to do is prepare some answers for likely questions and then have examples in mind from my experience that I could use for different questions. Not much else to be done, they don't give any info at all! Anybody know how long the interview normally lasts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey Niamh. From what I can gather it's a panel interview of two or three ( hopefully two) and will last anything between 20 and 30 minutes. I'm trying to prepare for quite general questions but you really never know what they might throw at you. At the moment I'm trying to drill what I can of the national curriculum into my head but with no previous experience it's honestly impossible to know what they might expect you to already know. Does anyone else get the sense that you're almost expected to know a lot of what teachers have to know even at this early stage??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 279
Original post by KierClarke
Hey Niamh. From what I can gather it's a panel interview of two or three ( hopefully two) and will last anything between 20 and 30 minutes. I'm trying to prepare for quite general questions but you really never know what they might throw at you. At the moment I'm trying to drill what I can of the national curriculum into my head but with no previous experience it's honestly impossible to know what they might expect you to already know. Does anyone else get the sense that you're almost expected to know a lot of what teachers have to know even at this early stage??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think they want to see a passion for the profession (but avoiding obvious statements like 'I love teaching/children etc.) and also that you have the skills to think about certain teaching situations and answer them in an informed way. Opinions are fine if you can back them up with knowledge or any experience. Surely that's all we can have at this point! If this isn't good enough I honestly don't know how people get in!

Have you any experience of working in a school or placements? Even of teaching or observing in a non formal setting? I think your prep sounds solid, it's all we can do really! I'm worried that I'm not at all nervous, was a complete wreck for my interviews in England! 😳

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending