The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys I'm also quite interested in dentistry as a career, however I'm afraid I'm playing a big risk in wishing to do so because my current grades aren't good enough :/ in my gcse's i only scored 4A*'s and 9A's and don't get me wrong I'm grateful for what I achieved but quite worried because I don't think my grades are good enough in comparison to ALOT of dentistry applicants out there . My brother ( whose also studying dentistry currently ) is helping me a lot on things to put on my personal statement as he recently ( the previous year ) got into dentistry, and I think that side of things will be fine, I'm taking biology /chemistry / economics and psychology for A-levels
hey guys, i got 5A* 6A 1B, currently taking Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry and EPQ (Oral cancer based) 7 weeks work expereince collectively in both NHS and private. shadowed oral surgery as well as 4 dental implants
Will be applying for Graduate entry next year! Working as a healthcare assistant currently and hopefully looking to start work experience next year.
how is everyone finding the UKCAT so far, ive just started looking at questions and its pretty tough!
Good luck everyone
Hey guys, I'm also quite interested in Dentistry. I got 4 A*'s 9 A's and 1 B, at GCSE, and finding A-levels ok right now. What has everyone else achieved and what work experience are you all looking at as currently I am unable to find any :/ All I have is , 8 month working as a café waitress, volunteering one week at a care home, teaching for 4 months ( GCSE maths and biology/chemistry) at a education organisation, achieved the dofe bronze, and had taught GCSE drama at a school after school club for 3 months. However most of what I've mentioned I know is pretty irrelevant especially applying to Dentistry so does anyone have any idea of how to apply for work experience shadowing a Dentist. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Offer holder for 2015 entry here, don't worry about GCSE's, just meet the 6A requirements for most uni's and you're fine. I have 2/4 offers with only 1 A* at GCSE so just goes to show you don't need great grades!
Original post by Raaaas
Hey, yeah thanks. So your a future dentist as well? What are you stats?

Hey I also went! It was pretty good but Dentistry is really competitive. As long as we smash our AS exams and write an awesome P.S with relevant experience etc, I reckon we can all get in. We can help each other out.
Reply 26
Hey guys,

I am in year 13 and have applied to KCL, Bart's, Sheffield and Birmingham. I have interviews at all of them but Sheffield, who I am still waiting for. If I am to be successful with my application this year, I will be running personal tutoring sessions in the summer. If you are interested please give me a PM alongside any other questions you may have regarding the application process :smile:.
Don't get too hung up on GCSE grades! I don't think some unis even look at them anymore, I'm pretty sure Newcastle don't. My GCSE grades are honestly awful compared to all of the ones I've seen here and I have 3/4 interviews and an offer. If anyone wants advice or info about application process or admission tests or anything feel free to PM me :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by carrellii
Don't get too hung up on GCSE grades! I don't think some unis even look at them anymore, I'm pretty sure Newcastle don't. My GCSE grades are honestly awful compared to all of the ones I've seen here and I have 3/4 interviews and an offer. If anyone wants advice or info about application process or admission tests or anything feel free to PM me :smile:

Disagree with this. For those of you in year 11, try and get as best possible GCSE's as it will allow you to stand out from the general pool of applicants. In fact, KCL actually look at GCSE's when inviting people for an interview.However, those of you who may not have 'amazing' GCSE's, try and get lots of work experience. This mixed with excellent AS grades and a good UKCAT will give you an excellent base :smile:!
Original post by utsav12
Disagree with this. For those of you in year 11, try and get as best possible GCSE's as it will allow you to stand out from the general pool of applicants. In fact, KCL actually look at GCSE's when inviting people for an interview.However, those of you who may not have 'amazing' GCSE's, try and get lots of work experience. This mixed with excellent AS grades and a good UKCAT will give you an excellent base :smile:!

I'm not saying that they aren't important, just that they aren't the MOST important factor by miles. There's people with 4 rejections that have boasted about having 12 A*s, they really aren't everything. Obviously, do as well as you can do, but don't be put off applying for dentistry because others have better GCSEs than you. There are some universities that look at them (such as KCL) however ever university is different in what they require from applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carrellii
I'm not saying that they aren't important, just that they aren't the MOST important factor by miles. There's people with 4 rejections that have boasted about having 12 A*s, they really aren't everything. Obviously, do as well as you can do, but don't be put off applying for dentistry because others have better GCSEs than you. There are some universities that look at them (such as KCL) however ever university is different in what they require from applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Totally agree with this. My GCSEs are dreadful compared to other applicants this year and i have 2 interviews so far. I would say for most, just meeting the required GCSEs is fine.
Hi guys! I'm new to this thread, so I just wanted to check something. By "2016 Applicants", does that mean AS students who are applying for undergrad dentistry this year, hoping to start in September 2016?
Reply 33
Hi everyone,

Wondering if there is anyone in Scotland thinking about applying this year? Can't seem to find anyone else!
I'm hoping to apply during my gap year. I was wary of applying for dentistry with my rubbish AS grades (ABBC) and my low ukcat. Working hard for my retakes and going to try to bring those grades to As! Will be hard though! At GCSE I got 1A* 5As and 4Bs, and my Bs were in eng lang, bio, phy and geog :/. So won't be applying to any non-ukcat unis! If I do get 3As and a decent ukcat+Bmat (for leeds) score...I'll apply to kings, barts, plymouth, dundee, and leeds :smile:. Or swap one of those for biomed :smile:. Wish me luck! Need to get a tonne of work experience in though.
Reply 35
When did you guys start revising for GCSEs?
(currently in year 11 :smile:)
Original post by Jitesh
When did you guys start revising for GCSEs?
(currently in year 11 :smile:)

I would say make sure you're kind of keeping on top of your revision material like notes and stuff throughout the year. But honestly, because it's a two/three year course for most subjects, it's more important to go over the earlier stuff and GCSEs usually have really repetitive answers which don't require too much revision so half term, Easter Holidays time? :smile:
When would be the best time to organise work experience for in a dental practice? Should I aim to do two full weeks, full time, or spread it out over a longer duration?
Original post by Shadowninja107

I did my work experience spread across a week in the summer and some time during the October half term. I think it entirely depends on your schedule and where you can fit stuff in, I don't think when you did work experience really makes a difference on your personal statement.

Latest