The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by khaopoad
Hi guys!
i'm a first year IB diploma student at an international school elsewhere in the world and i'm applying to medicine in the UK. basically i've always been interested in medicine ever since i started 9th grade so i've been planning my academics since 3 years ago. now i'm going to apply to medicine in like 4 months but i'm still worried about many things, so i'm just going to list them down and any answers or advices are very much appreciated!

1. the school i'm studying at is an american international school so i've been exposed to american unis and their system. in americans unis they're very chill about research. when i say chill i mean, it's very casual to join a research team, you basically just have to talk to the professors and ask them if you can join them and assist the research team. but through my research, it seems uk is a little bit different? i've been emailing the uk universities i'm interested in and they give me very ambiguous answers. but from what i understand is that i either enter an intercalated BSc program, formally apply to a research program, or not get into research at all. so exactly what am i supposed to do to join an existing research at the university?
ps. i'm interested in immunology and genetics

I would imagine that if you talk to individual researchers/professors once you were at the university it would be quite straight forward for you to get involved in a research team but I don't think that any admissions office will be able to tell you this. Programmes in the UK tend to be a bit more structured. By the sounds of things you would be interested in a course offering an intercalated BSc which is basically getting involved in research as far as I can tell. If you look at the courses offered by Imperial College of UCL they both have compulsory BScs and you can find more information out from their websites.

2. i've been doing music all my life, i'm even a president of Tri-M music honor society so i want to take a music composition class (apart from joining a music group) alongside with my medicine courses? is it possible to do so?

This probably isn't possible to do at a UK university as the courses are much less interchangeable than in the US. If you went to a London University you could maybe organise some kind of contact with a composition teacher at one of the London conservatoires, e.g Royal Academy of Music/Royal College of Music/GSMD but this would be more like paying for private lessons.

3. how do they select students? it's a question i've been asking every admission office and well they tell me the same thing but i still have doubts. UK is different from the US because they're more academic-orientated when coming to applications. but does the UK still look at my activity and what i do at school? i've started community service clubs, became an officer of clubs, interned at a hospital, completed summer programs from well-known universities, play music, played sports, etc. i'm sure all the other applicants will have amazing scores but will they at least consider my activities (and my personal statement of course) when they're making the first cut for interviews?

Yes UK universities will still look at your extra-curricular activities, but it's fair to say they will only consider the activities of those students who have the grades. They like volunteering and experience of hospital environments and to see that you're someone who engages with a wide range of people.

4. i have a brief outline of the universities i'm interested in (KCL, birmingham, cardiff, leicester, queen mary, edinburgh, newcastle/nottingham) but i haven't made my final decision. i'm visiting the UK this summer and i'm hoping to finalize my college list soon! do you guys have any universities recommendation?

You get basically the same degree from all UK medical schools, apply to ones where you have a good chance of getting an interview. For example, if you get a high UKCAT apply to universities where UKCAT score is significant in the intereview selection process. If get a poor score, avoid UKCAT universities.
Original post by ikrl81
Hello, I'm doing my AS level exams right now; I would like to study medicine at uni and I'm taking biology, chemistry, maths & physics. I'm predicted AAAA. Unfortunately the exams I've done so far have completely destroyed me, despite me being able to achieve in access of 90% in past papers. I've done all the unit 1 exams so far, all of which were horrible.

I'm just wondering whether universities like UCL accept AS resits, as I will definitely have to resit 3 of the 4 unit 1's, in order to achieve 1 or 2 A*'s. Or is this only acceptable under extenuating circumstances? Hopefully all the unit 2's will be A's and won't have to resit them...

thanks for any help

Edit: I'll be resting within the standard 2 year A-level period.

At the time I was applying I remember UCL telling us that they prefer candidates that have not resit. However if the other aspects of your application is good then they'll still give you an interview :smile: I think if want a definite answer then contact UCL/ICL directly!
Reply 4982
What's it like to study medicine ? Do you enjoy it and what are the perks of it ? What was your GCSE results or for postgraduate, the course you took before ?
Original post by Jshjsh
What's it like to study medicine ? Do you enjoy it and what are the perks of it ? What was your GCSE results or for postgraduate, the course you took before ?

I love studying medicine. The exam periods are pretty brutal and so are the class hours compared to a lot of other courses which can be annoying when your mates are all mucking about and you're in class.
I'm not really sure what you mean by perks?
My GCSE's were 6a*'s 5A's and a levels AAAA. Most of my post grad friends have things in the line of biochem or biomed. Though there is at least 1 nurse on my course
Original post by Jshjsh

It's good, most of the time I really enjoy it. There are things about it which drive me bonkers and which make me occasionally quite annoyed, but these have very little to do with the science and art of medicine, and more to do with administration and how the training system is run.

I feel that as I move on and find a specialty I really enjoy, I'll hopefully lose some of my worries and gradually grow in confidence and be able to provide the best care I can for my future patients. That's the hope anyway.

Though for the record, I find it very odd to think of myself "studying" medicine (or if you're a University Challenge contestant, reading medicine). Medicine is very much a way of life, it's not just a degree. I do medicine, and I can't see myself doing anything else.
Reply 4985
What was the degree you held prior to studying medicine at graduate level ? Do unis go side exercise science and sports therapy as a science and could you get in with a degree in one of them ?
Original post by Jshjsh
What was the degree you held prior to studying medicine at graduate level ? Do unis go side exercise science and sports therapy as a science and could you get in with a degree in one of them ?

Here you go
Really discerns me to read that people with impeccable GCSE and AS level grades as well as a myriad more work experience than me apparently get rejected from two or more of their applications. Worried.
Do Universities look unfavourably upon candidates who resit AS modules at A2? Or does it show determination and self-improvement? Apologies if this has already been asked ten trillion times before.
Original post by hopefuldentist10
Do Universities look unfavourably upon candidates who resit AS modules at A2? Or does it show determination and self-improvement? Apologies if this has already been asked ten trillion times before.

There are some universities who do look unfavourably at AS resits during A2 year and some allow only one unit to be resat. But I'm pretty sure that a large majority of medical schools are fine with AS resits during your A2 year. Double check with the universities you intend to apply to.
Original post by Clubba
and some allow only one unit to be resat.

Do you know which ones these are? Or do you mean only 1 resit per subject.

I definitely need to resit a maths exam and possibly a chemistry exam which I lost a lot of marks needlessly on.
Hi
I've got a question
Most qualifying students tend to work close to the medical school at which they qualified. But is it still possible to move away to another hospital when becoming a Junior Doctor?
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Hi
I've got a question
Most qualifying students tend to work close to the medical school at which they qualified. But is it still possible to move away to another hospital when becoming a Junior Doctor?
Thank you

Yup, loads of people move back to their home town or somewhere else entirely when entering foundation training. There's no rule that says you have to apply to the region in which you graduated.
Original post by *pitseleh*
Yup, loads of people move back to their home town or somewhere else entirely when entering foundation training. There's no rule that says you have to apply to the region in which you graduated.

Thank you so much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Hi
I've got a question
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

More and more students are moving away from their medical school for foundation years. Over 50% for some universities!

When you apply for foundation training you rank all the foundation schools in the country, and applications are blinded to your medical school, so you can go anywhere you like, though obviously some places, especially London, are more competitive than others.
Original post by Bloom77
Hi
I've got a question
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

As aforementioned, many people decide to either stay/not stay in their local foundation school (a geographically determined area linked to a specific medical school) for F1/2. Obviously this varies year on year. That, and also,just because it wasn't someone's first choice doesn't necessarily mean they didn't end up there (it could have been their 2nd,or 3rd, or 4th etc. choice...). Page 5 of the attached document gives you the statistics for F1s starting this August.
Hi everyone. In the future, I am hoping to go to Oxford and do a medicine course. I have been getting the right grades and I am willing to push myself to the limit as my dream job is to become a GP or anything to do with medicine. However, I am really worried as I don't take part in a massive amount of extra curricular activities. I am worried that even if I get As and A*s and I am not going to get in because of that. I was just wondering if you had to do a lot of extra activities in order to get into a university like Oxford. Please let me know soon. Thank you:smile:
I know this question has been asked thousands of times, but I want an honest opinion..

Firstly, I'd just like to say I'm willing to go to any medical school IN THE UK, I cannot travel abroad.

Ok, so my question is do I have a honest chance at any uni with these GCSES?

Biology - A
Chemistry - A
Physics - A
French - B
English Lang - B
English Lit - B
Maths - A
Citizenship - B
ICT - B
Public Services - Merit

So 4As 5Bs 1Merit? I want to do nothing else in life to be honest so I'm just hoping that some unis don't look at such a pointless set of results that get obtained when people have no idea what they want to achieve.. I'm still shocked that unis rely on these so much, but anyway do I have a chance? (Obviously I'm asking this excluding other things like UKCAT I just want to see if unis would even consider me first)
Original post by parker13
I know this question has been asked thousands of times, but I want an honest opinion..

Firstly, I'd just like to say I'm willing to go to any medical school IN THE UK, I cannot travel abroad.

Ok, so my question is do I have a honest chance at any uni with these GCSES?

Biology - A
Chemistry - A
Physics - A
French - B
English Lang - B
English Lit - B
Maths - A
Citizenship - B
ICT - B
Public Services - Merit

So 4As 5Bs 1Merit? I want to do nothing else in life to be honest so I'm just hoping that some unis don't look at such a pointless set of results that get obtained when people have no idea what they want to achieve.. I'm still shocked that unis rely on these so much, but anyway do I have a chance? (Obviously I'm asking this excluding other things like UKCAT I just want to see if unis would even consider me first)

Yes, you do have a chance. Have a look at Exeter, Plymouth, Barts, and Newcastle.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements
Guys so what should u preferably be doing in ur year 12 summer?
Is a month of Ukcat prep enough?
Also, I need to be starting my personal statement right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending