The Student Room Group

Are Arts/Humanities degrees useless?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by notbeyonce*
I think STEM degree jobs are more specific, because you can't become a doctor or a biochemist researcher without a specific degree. While jobs don't really require a liberal arts degree or a sociology degree. I agree that it is how you apply and use your degrees but I just believe that most arts degrees will not take you as far as most aren't really an important requirement for most jobs.

That doesn't make them useless. You just don't see the worth in them.
Original post by yabbayabba
Stem degrees aren't more vocational. Vocational degrees are more vocational. There are only a few properly vocational degrees: medicine, nursing, law, architecture, perhaps one or two more I've forgotten. Only some of these vocational subjects are stem.

The main thing is to study what you enjoy and what aligns best with your career goals. If you have no desire to become a scientist (which requires more than an undergraduate degree but a PhD), then studying stem just for 'better job prospects' is pointless.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not saying STEM degrees are more vocational, I just said that most STEM jobs do require a STEM degree. I realise you need more than a degree for certain jobs but all I'm saying is that I believe STEM degrees give you more of a specific career path while it is more vague in what career you could have when you do an arts degree.
I'm not saying STEM degrees are more vocational, I just said that most STEM jobs do require a STEM degree. I realise you need more than a degree for certain jobs but all I'm saying is that I believe STEM degrees give you more of a specific career path while it is more vague in what career you could have when you do an arts degree.

The world of work is not as straightforward as History degree= historian or music degree= musician. You're thinking in a very limited way.

That's a misconception and a generalisation. Specific stem degrees sure as they're vocational. But doing biomedical sciences or physics doesn't give you any more of a specific career path than any other degree. If you want to become a physistist you'll need postgraduate degrees. But you're right, it could give you more options are you can apply for graduate jobs that ask for numerate degrees as well as general graduate jobs for any degree (which are in the majority). Tbh in the grand scheme of things it makes little difference as soon your degree becomes irrelevant after a few years and your work experience is what employers look at and talk about in interviews.
Original post by Chihiro95
The world of work is not as straightforward as History degree= historian or music degree= musician. You're thinking in a very limited way.

Yeah I understand but what more can you get from a music degree? You don't need a degree to be a musician. I'm just saying if you don't require a certain degree for a specifc career path than what is the point except in showing dedication and transferable skills for employers? I'm not saying doing a history degree means you have to be a historian, I'm saying that a history degree isn't a requirement for most jobs like most arts degrees except a historian, so what's the point in doing it? I mean if you like the subject then why not but its years of studying for a degree that won't be an absolute necessity for most jobs.
Yeah I understand but what more can you get from a music degree? You don't need a degree to be a musician. I'm just saying if you don't require a certain degree for a specifc career path than what is the point except in showing dedication and transferable skills for employers? I'm not saying doing a history degree means you have to be a historian, I'm saying that a history degree isn't a requirement for most jobs like most arts degrees except a historian, so what's the point in doing it? I mean if you like the subject then why not but its years of studying for a degree that won't be an absolute necessity for most jobs.

Answered your own question.
Original post by localblackguy
Answered your own question.

Haha I guess, I mean if you're passionate about you should do it. But just my personal opinion, I don't see how the more unique arts degrees like liberal arts degree or philosophy degrees can help you as much.
Haha I guess, I mean if you're passionate about you should do it. But just my personal opinion, I don't see how the more unique arts degrees like liberal arts degree or philosophy degrees can help you as much.

I mean it works both ways, what will physics or biology or chemistry help you with if you're not planning on going into a STEM-oriented career?
Original post by localblackguy
I mean it works both ways, what will physics or biology or chemistry help you with if you're not planning on going into a STEM-oriented career?

But if you're planning on doing a STEM degree than usually there is a STEM careef that would require the certain degree. But if you're planning to do anthropology or philosophy, there aren't many careers that require these degrees. I don't think are many careers for certain arts degrees but you can always apply the degrees to any job. I always wondered what people got out of doing a philosophy or a liberal arts degree?
No not at all.

For society to work, it requires a very diverse background, especially with regard to education. There will be those with no degrees or even formal education beyond secondary school but are very experienced, those with apprenticeships, those who have STEM degrees and those who decided to study the Liberal Arts and Humanities.

I've always justified my history degree in terms of studying something I enjoy to a higher level, and that it helps furnish analytical skills and social understanding that employers, particularly in the public service sector, tend to look for.

And, well, it would be nice to help furnish young minds, and to pay back by teaching History, too.
But if you're planning on doing a STEM degree than usually there is a STEM careef that would require the certain degree. But if you're planning to do anthropology or philosophy, there aren't many careers that require these degrees. I don't think are many careers for certain arts degrees but you can always apply the degrees to any job. I always wondered what people got out of doing a philosophy or a liberal arts degree?

You realise that most science graduates don't continue their subject at work. They end up in business roles, teaching etc. the same as arts graduates. A stem career would require multiple degrees, yes, but in terms of graduate destinations, people who become professional scientists are a minority. There aren't that many careers requiring physics degrees either. Your thinking is quite narrow minded and rigid here.

You've answered the last question numerous times already - they get to study something they enjoy and are passionate about which can open doors to other unrelated careers. Why study something you don't like if there's something you know you'd prefer?
Reply 31
Yes, unless you want to be the most well-educated barista in Costa.
You realise that most science graduates don't continue their subject at work. They end up in business roles, teaching etc. the same as arts graduates. A stem career would require multiple degrees, yes, but in terms of graduate destinations, people who become professional scientists are a minority. There aren't that many careers requiring physics degrees either. Your thinking is quite narrow minded and rigid here.

You've answered the last question numerous times already - they get to study something they enjoy and are passionate about which can open doors to other unrelated careers. Why study something you don't like if there's something you know you'd prefer?

Of course I know that doing a STEM degree doesn't guarantee you a STEM related career. All I'm saying, most of arts/humanities degrees aren't required specifically compared to stem degrees which are needed for stem related careers ( I know physics like you mentioned and there are other exceptions). To be a journalist, you don't even need to have an English degree. Just because I'm saying there's more of clear path for STEM degree students does not mean I believe that everyone will get jobs.

I know people mostly choose their majors on what they're passionate about, but all I am asking are how are less common degrees such as liberal arts degrees or anthropology degrees useful? I I know that you can pick up transferable skills which could help someone be a teacher or gain a buisness role like you said but that's a given in every degree. But do some arts degrees really open up many doors? I was thinking that liberal arts degrees and sociology degrees weren't as respected or taken seriously especially by older people. To be honest what even is a liberal arts degree (no offence)? I thought there was a preconception that more of the obscure arts/humanities students ended up as baristas or waiters. I don't know if its true though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
im doing a economics degree and i think its useless
Of course I know that doing a STEM degree doesn't guarantee you a STEM related career. All I'm saying, most of arts/humanities degrees aren't required specifically compared to stem degrees which are needed for stem related careers ( I know physics like you mentioned and there are other exceptions). To be a journalist, you don't even need to have an English degree. Just because I'm saying there's more of clear path for STEM degree students does not mean I believe that everyone will get jobs.

I know people mostly choose their majors on what they're passionate about, but all I am asking are how are less common degrees such as liberal arts degrees or anthropology degrees useful? I I know that you can pick up transferable skills which could help someone be a teacher or gain a buisness role like you said but that's a given in every degree. But do some arts degrees really open up many doors? I was thinking that liberal arts degrees and sociology degrees weren't as respected or taken seriously especially by older people. To be honest what even is a liberal arts degree (no offence)? I thought there was a preconception that more of the obscure arts/humanities students ended up as baristas or waiters. I don't know if its true though.

It's what you do with your degree that matters to most employers. Not the subject

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's what you do with your degree that matters to most employers. Not the subject

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh thats cool, I didn't realise that the subject wasn't as much of huge importance as an importance as I thought. But I still don't see how just a photography degree or a liberal arts degree would make an employer want to hire them if the job was unrelated to the degree.
Oh thats cool, I didn't realise that the subject wasn't as much of huge importance as an importance as I thought. But I still don't see how just a photography degree or a liberal arts degree would make an employer want to hire them if the job was unrelated to the degree.

That works for any degree, not just arts/humanities. For example, a Biology degree won't differentiate you from other candidates with Philosophy or Liberal Arts degrees if you wanna go into Marketing/PR.

People don't care about your degree as much as you think. How you come across at interview, work experience etc count for more

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can you give me examples?

As I said, almost anything that isn't engineering or medicine.

But normally if you do a STEM degree, it is because it is a requirement for a specific job.

Not at all. As I said, very few do actually fulfil the requirement for a specific job, although there are a much larger pool of jobs where that highly value the skills gained from STEM degrees.

I thought STEM degrees were very specific in what career pathways it would open.

Within the STEM field, yes, they are. For example, I'm in engineering, and we wouldn't be looking to recruit non-engineering graduates. But that, of course, does not limit them merely to their fields for pursuing their careers.
Economics anyone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending