The Student Room Group

PSA: Most Degrees are worthless!

EDIT: deleted because I don't believe it is true anymore.
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Ooofff so much wrong with this post
Reply 2
Not arsed.
Reply 3
Original post by edward808389
Ooofff so much wrong with this post

Please specify if you can.
How old are you OP? You sound like an overexcited, immature 14 year old.
Well, just to begin with, some Pure Sciences (such as geology) are no more useful , or perhaps less useful, than say a language or economic degree . And , ultimately, your chosen field of work has an enormous bearing whether any of these are essential anyways. Also fails to take into account where the degree is obtained from, some of those ‘essential’ degrees from a poor uni wouldn’t be worth the paper they’re written on compared to another degree from a better one.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Duncan2012
How old are you OP? You sound like an overexcited, immature 14 year old.

I'm an overexcited, immature 17 year old. [Everyone note how he is avoiding the debate and attacking me because he does not have a real argument]
Reply 7
I wish i knew all about the real world when I was 17.
Reply 8
Original post by gjd800
I wish i knew all about the real world when I was 17.

I bet you do! Would have saved a lot of time and money from your worthless philosophy doctorate! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by JB2001
I bet you do! Would have saved a lot of time and money from your worthless philosophy doctorate! :smile:

I've not paid for any of it, so yknow.
Original post by JB2001
I'm an overexcited, immature 17 year old. [Everyone note how he is avoiding the debate and attacking me because he does not have a real argument]

So I’m right that you have no clue what is worthless or not in the real world. You have no clue what employers look for, or what skills any degree gives you. There’s no debate to be had, and I’m attacking such a ridiculous viewpoint which is being put forward by someone who has no knowledge about the subject. Come back once you’ve got a degree and we can talk then.
So we have to study bio chem maths physics or further maths if we want to get anywhere in life?
Reply 12
So I’m right that you have no clue what is worthless or not in the real world. You have no clue what employers look for, or what skills any degree gives you. There’s no debate to be had, and I’m attacking such a ridiculous viewpoint which is being put forward by someone who has no knowledge about the subject. Come back once you’ve got a degree and we can talk then.

Their experience of the 'real world' thus far has likely been working the odd Saturday in Tesco.
Reply 13
Original post by Pugglet
So we have to study bio chem maths physics or further maths if we want to get anywhere in life?

Not at all! If you enjoy English for example, then you can write for local newspapers or on your own blog and progress from there! You do not need a £40,000 degree to write. All I am arguing is it is only worth going to university if you are going to get a useful qualification or accreditation from it.
Terrible advice and I don’t know how you are remotely in a position to dismiss all other degree courses as worthless. Obviously you shouldn’t go to University just to get the “Uni experience” and you should think about the path you take before getting in debt, but acting as if all other degrees aren’t beneficial to society is being very narrow-minded.
Original post by gjd800
Their experience of the 'real world' thus far has likely been working the odd Saturday in Tesco.

I doubt he’s even done that. I doubt anyone who’s got the motivation to get a part time job could be this arrogant and/or clueless.
Reply 16
I doubt he’s even done that. I doubt anyone who’s got the motivation to get a part time job could be this arrogant and/or clueless.

I do actually work part time. I think it is more arrogant to study a useless subject subsidised by taxpayer's and daddy's money. I am going to pay my own way through university if I can.
Original post by JB2001
Not at all! If you enjoy English for example, then you can write for local newspapers or on your own blog and progress from there! You do not need a £40,000 degree to write. All I am arguing is it is only worth going to university if you are going to get a useful qualification or accreditation from it.

Ahh see that’s what you said in your post. You said you didn’t take at least two of them you should do a foundation year

I’m well aware there’s other options to uni. I applied for apprenticeship degrees and decided I wanted to go to uni and study what I wanted because I loved it.

Degrees give you a boost in life as a 2:1 from a good uni will give you a much better advantage over someone who didn’t go
Oh God, not another one of these threads.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by JB2001
I do actually work part time. I think it is more arrogant to study a useless subject subsidised by taxpayer's and daddy's money. I am going to pay my own way through university if I can.

Well, when/if you do eventually get to university please make a point of telling all non-STEM lecturers what you think of their chosen careers and paths. I’m sure they’d give your opinion the due consideration it deserves. Presumably you’d also want them to shut all social science faculties, arts faculties, language labs, English departments...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending