The Student Room Group

I haven't enjoyed architecture for the past year. But I dont want to seem lazy or stu

I've just finished my first year of architecture in university and I really don't think I enjoyed it. I also don't think I have an interest in becoming an architect.

So now because I want to change course I feel like Im at an impasse. I've considered some type of engineering because I think it'd be a satisfying job and I'd be fulfilled to be doing a harder course that people view as important to society. However I think I'd find it pretty boring.

On the other hand I've always been interested in a creative field illustration or animation. I think graphic design might be a safe way for me to enter these fields because it seems like the job opportunities are more plentiful though the idea of becoming a graphic designer doesn't particularly interest me. However I'm scared about the stigma around doing an arts degree as it could come across as useless and in jobs generally arent paid particularly well. And I think my dad would really hate me to go from architecture to an arts degree.

I've just been really struggling to figure myself out recently on what I want to do as a job because nothing seems to be the right path for me. No prospects make me happy or excited to pursue.

I think there's parts I've been quite unclear about but I didnt want to go on for too long so if there's any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for reading :smile:
Reply 1
Personally i feel like you should go with what makes you happy as it is your life and sure, some people may not like it, but it is not their own life and if they truly want the best for you then i feel like they would support you. also what hobbies are u interested in/ spark something inside you? and don't be put down by what other people think, i can tell you that it does not help in any way to get bogged down in others opinions or feelings and your life is your own and you should decide what path you take, not someone else.
Original post by Luttrine
I've just finished my first year of architecture in university and I really don't think I enjoyed it. I also don't think I have an interest in becoming an architect.

So now because I want to change course I feel like Im at an impasse. I've considered some type of engineering because I think it'd be a satisfying job and I'd be fulfilled to be doing a harder course that people view as important to society. However I think I'd find it pretty boring.

On the other hand I've always been interested in a creative field illustration or animation. I think graphic design might be a safe way for me to enter these fields because it seems like the job opportunities are more plentiful though the idea of becoming a graphic designer doesn't particularly interest me. However I'm scared about the stigma around doing an arts degree as it could come across as useless and in jobs generally arent paid particularly well. And I think my dad would really hate me to go from architecture to an arts degree.

I've just been really struggling to figure myself out recently on what I want to do as a job because nothing seems to be the right path for me. No prospects make me happy or excited to pursue.

I think there's parts I've been quite unclear about but I didnt want to go on for too long so if there's any questions feel free to ask.

Hi @Luttrine

I’m so sorry you’ve been struggling with this! :frown: I feel as though you might have a hard time completing any degree that doesn’t thoroughly interest you and make you excited for its future career prospects.

I think maybe it might be a good idea to take some time to really write down things that interest you, look around at careers, go to Careers Fairs etc. and see what stands out to you and work backwards from there to figure out what degree you’d need? Therefore, even if you find the degree itself difficult, you’ll have that end goal of your career to keep you going.

I hope this helps!

Estelle
Second Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield
Original post by Luttrine

Do you have the right A levels to go into engineering as maths and physics are usually required?

Do you enjoy any aspects of you current course - design, humanities or technology? This might help you identify where your preferences lie. Many architecture graduates head into different fields with their first degree rather continuing with the part 2 and 3 architecture pathway. Have you considered completing your degree and going into planning, lanscape architecture, film, surveying, etc?

The following website is a good resource for investigating career options:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/architecture

Also, speak to your university's careers service for advice.
Reply 4
Original post by dude23
Personally i feel like you should go with what makes you happy as it is your life and sure, some people may not like it, but it is not their own life and if they truly want the best for you then i feel like they would support you. also what hobbies are u interested in/ spark something inside you? and don't be put down by what other people think, i can tell you that it does not help in any way to get bogged down in others opinions or feelings and your life is your own and you should decide what path you take, not someone else.

Thank you for the response

I think realistically what creates a "spark" within me is creation and drawing. Though I do spend an incredible amount of time on the computer and the hardware inside a computer has interested me, the only thing is, is that I'm not very good at coding and I think the main computer esq. courses all require coding.

So perhaps I should look more into an art related degree.

Thanks,
Luttrine
Reply 5
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Hi @Luttrine

I’m so sorry you’ve been struggling with this! :frown: I feel as though you might have a hard time completing any degree that doesn’t thoroughly interest you and make you excited for its future career prospects.

I think maybe it might be a good idea to take some time to really write down things that interest you, look around at careers, go to Careers Fairs etc. and see what stands out to you and work backwards from there to figure out what degree you’d need? Therefore, even if you find the degree itself difficult, you’ll have that end goal of your career to keep you going.

I hope this helps!

Estelle
Second Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield

Thank you for the reply,

I haven't really gone to job fairs before, that is a good idea! I'll see if there are any in my area.

Perhaps I should be mostly focusing on the end goal (a job), as I think I've been trying to divide my attention between looking at jobs and courses which has just made me more confused.

Thanks,
Luttrine
Reply 6
Original post by normaw
Do you have the right A levels to go into engineering as maths and physics are usually required?

Do you enjoy any aspects of you current course - design, humanities or technology? This might help you identify where your preferences lie. Many architecture graduates head into different fields with their first degree rather continuing with the part 2 and 3 architecture pathway. Have you considered completing your degree and going into planning, lanscape architecture, film, surveying, etc?

The following website is a good resource for investigating career options:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/architecture

Also, speak to your university's careers service for advice.

Thank you for the response,

Hmm that definitely is a problem, I'm not sure I'd even be able to enter any engineering course as my A-level grades were fairly low with me only having one saving-grace which was an A for an EPQ. And I'd rather not spend another year doing a foundation course.

I suppose when I look back on it, the parts of architecture I enjoyed were the design parts, when I had the opportunity to just throw ideas at the wall no matter how bad or stupid they seemed. The humanities I found fairly boring. The technology would barely interest me but I think that was because it was few and far between, I think I didn't enjoy the technology as much because it was so bare. The parts of technology I enjoy are the robotics/computers and the more mechanical side like engines... not a big fan of the calculation of the temp of a room when its just randomly thrown into a lecture.

I have had the idea to just do a bachelors and then go into a different field and I think that's my safest option, money-wise and time-wise, though I think its just a matter as to whether I can bare doing it for another two years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending