The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Statistics unit 1 Higher Tier June 2015 - 18th June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neza99
it said right digits then it wrote thousand so it was like this in the answer box

________ Thousand
so how would you write that?

Original post by ScienceFantatic
Are you sure those were the right values for the radius ?Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea, I don't think you had to actually put three 000's after it because of the 'thousand' in the answer line. Also, you probably had to round it up, because remember you cant have ....34234234 of a person doing an apprenticeship.

Original post by Bobrocket
I got something like 40.851 male managers, but of course you can't have 40.851 people so in the end I got 41. Not sure if I did it right though! I just sort of fiddled around with formulae until I felt I had something which was reasonably accurate.

Yea I got 41 too :biggrin:, I also got a crazy 40.851...... but rounded it up one.
What did everyone get for the random response question ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by neza99
What did you guys do for the tree diagram question?
for the first q, idid probabilty of her jumping * him jumping
second q, i forgot :P

Um, for the first one I got 0.75*0.8 = 0.6 or 6/10

For the second one I got 0.95
Original post by neza99
What did you guys do for the tree diagram question?
for the first q, idid probabilty of her jumping * him jumping
second q, i forgot :P

The first question was P(Kendra AND NOT Liam) (I believe), and the third one was (P(Kendra) AND NOT P(Liam) OR (P(Kendra) AND P(Liam)) OR (NOT P(Kendra) AND P(Liam)) which simplifies to 2x(P(Kendra) AND NOT P(Liam)) OR (P(Kendra) AND P(Liam)) - which was 0.95 (I believe)
What did everyone get for the random response question ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which one was that? The response variable?

No it was like the percentage of employees who missed work when they were not Ill

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ugh I had no idea about the 'response variable' - I just put the speed of the lorry ?
No it was like the percentage of employees who missed work when they were not I'll

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I got 15%

Here's what I did:

It was 'Yes', so all of the people who flipped heads could've said that, and all of the people who flipped tails, who were ill....
Its a fair coin so 80 heads and 80 tails were flipped.
104 said yes
so 80 said yes for sure - 104-80 = 24 people who were sick but lied :tongue:
so then 24/160*100 = 15%

I originally got 65%, because I forgot about the coin, and the whole thing with the 'yes'. I just did 104/160*100 = 65% at first, but then checked it!

That question.... why AQA, took me forever, just for 3 bloody marks, and it was easy as well :P
No it was like the percentage of employees who missed work when they were not Ill

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 30% - half of the sample would have said yes because they threw heads, so you took that away from the 80 or whatever it was and you end up with something like 24/80 I believe
Original post by Turtlebunny
Ugh I had no idea about the 'response variable' - I just put the speed of the lorry ?

I just wrote the volume of fuel used - AQA likes to put the answers in questions so IMHO it was safer just to go with what was given. I guess it's the response of what happens when you change another variable (similar to dependant and independant variables in science maybe?)
EDIT: Looked it up, and a response variable would be something like this:
In a cake recipe, you would have response variables such as the moisture or the thickness of the cake. Basically it's a response to changing something in the equation, so speed could work? Maybe not since the question noted the maximum speed.
(edited 8 years ago)
I just wrote the volume of fuel used - AQA likes to put the answers in questions so IMHO it was safer just to go with what was given. I guess it's the response of what happens when you change another variable (similar to dependant and independant variables in science maybe?)

Yea I thought about science when I was writing it - I had no idea about that one really..
I got 30% - half of the sample would have said yes because they threw heads, so you took that away from the 80 or whatever it was and you end up with something like 24/80 I believe

Wasn't it 24/160, because it asked about all of the staff, or am I wrong ?
Not sure which one of you is right but I got neither answers and I'm pretty sure I got it wrong after originally smiling then realised it was harder than the other past papers on that q

Did you guys find it harder or easier than june 2014?

Posted from TSR Mobile
EDIT: Looked it up, and a response variable would be something like this:
In a cake recipe, you would have response variables such as the moisture or the thickness of the cake. Basically it's a response to changing something in the equation, so speed could work? Maybe not since the question noted the maximum speed.

The response variable is what you measure..I think I put the amount of fuel used each trip to Dover

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wasn't it 24/160, because it asked about all of the staff, or am I wrong ?

I think it would be 48/160 as you are taking into account that you would get the same amount of people who were ill even though they threw heads (as they didn't actually answer the question), so it would simplify to 24/80.
Yea I thought about science when I was writing it - I had no idea about that one really..

Yeah, it's the statistics equivalent to the dependant variable, so if you had put average speed you would have gotten it but not speed itself?
Not sure which one of you is right but I got neither answers and I'm pretty sure I got it wrong after originally smiling then realised it was harder than the other past papers on that q

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found it easier than the 2014 paper simply as there were less tables :tongue:
It even gave you the Spearman's sigma d^2! Definitely easier.
I found it easier than the 2014 paper simply as there were less tables :tongue:
It even gave you the Spearman's sigma d^2! Definitely easier.

Hope it's lower lol, I messed the Venn diagram q up, do you think ill get marks for the other questions if my Venn diagram is wrong, but I have the right method ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it would be 48/160 as you are taking into account that you would get the same amount of people who were ill even though they threw heads (as they didn't actually answer the question), so it would simplify to 24/80.

What do you mean? So it would be 104-80 = 24 - 24 people said Yes to being a badass :P

But then wouldn't it just be 24/160 because its the percentage of the total people in the company who reported being sick - because its an estimate as it has to be representative of the whole population. I see what you mean being 24/80 as its those who answered the question who were selected, but to make it representetive of the entire population, would they do it out of their entire sample, or just the 80 xD - as I said weird question..
Hope it's lower lol, I messed the Venn diagram q up, do you think ill get marks for the other questions if my Venn diagram is wrong, but I have the right method ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found it about the same level. Although June 2014 had some harder questions in it, I think ours contained slightly more topics, that required a bit more depth - I hope boundaries do drop a few marks, because my coursework was quite a low mark.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending